Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Hello all,I've had very little time to play with my AE,but while trying to go in to re-calibrate for my tire size I keep getting an error message saying it could not communicate with the ABS module or whatever it was,my truck being a 99.5 should I be able to change tire size,I know I can't monitor fuel pressure and coolant temps,but is there anything else,someone once talked about changing the year from '99 to a 2000 to monitor a certain parameter...if anyone knows please discuss..Thanks...Phil

I'm having the same problem Phil - can't get AE to change the tire size on my 2000 Excursion.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I had that happen to me when I put too much infomation in the screen where I connect to a vehicle. I just let the software sort it out to solve my communication problem. How do you connect to the vehicle to begin with? Does it do it automatically or do you "tell" it to connect to the truck?
It connects automatically...

Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm not the expert that woodnthings is, but we can learn this together because I'd like to know more.

First, I suggest getting it out of autconnect mode. You'll want to access the Communications Configuration and uncheck the box for "Automatically Connect on Launch". Why? It doesn't always give you a chance to get "settled in" before starting a conversation with the vehicle. I use AE daily and my procedure is to get everything hooked up, software up, key on - then start the connection. I had a communication thing going on yesterday, I tried to plug the USB into the Ethernet jack in the dark. The bugger is - it fits.

I don't know your version or if you have the Ford Enhanced package.

Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
With a little more thought, reading, and planning on my part:
  • I'd like to keep this thread clean with software/hardware experiences/questions. Engine questions would link out to other threads.
  • Many people have older laptops than mine, with weak batteries. Connecting the laptop power adaptor through the cigarette lighter can cause a condition called "Ground Loop" and this will make weird readings in the software - possibly even causing weird things to occur in the vehicle. If you use the vehicle to power your laptop/netbook, you would need an inverter with an isolated ground. I have a 150-watt inverter with an isolated ground that plugs into the cigarette lighter and my netbook uses far less than this. My mondo-laptop power supply saps more than 150 watts (read the power adaptor input current draw), so that inverter won't work for the big laptop. Volts times Amps = Watts. 120 Volts input times 1.5 Amp draw = 180 Watts for my big laptop power adaptor.
  • Many tests I will be conducting involve a KOEO (Key On, Engine Off) state. Some tests require the engine to be stone-cold (no warmup period) after being parked overnight. I have new batteries in the truck but Key On will fire up the glow plugs, start the fuel pump and vacuum, energize many circuits, and the ProLine adaptor will all add up to a heavy draw. I plan to have the 10-amp battery charger hooked up and plugged in while I go through the learning phase. Just for safety (and I might be **** here), if you have the battery charger on the vehicle and your laptop plugged into house current, use the same power outlet. I have two outlets within reach of my truck, but they might be on separate circuits - with the risk of having a 240-volt difference between the truck and the laptop.
Tugly, where did you find an inverter with an IG? I searched high and low for one a couple years ago and no one knew what I was talking about. I even tried "lifting" the ground on my netbook with a 2 prong "cheater", but no matter what I do AE shuts down the minute I try to use an inverter.

At the time I got my AE a few years ago I was unsuccessful at transferring the files with a flash drive and I ended up buying a portable CD drive.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Journeymaaann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribing

Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bigb56
Tugly, where did you find an inverter with an IG? I searched high and low for one a couple years ago and no one knew what I was talking about. I even tried "lifting" the ground on my netbook with a 2 prong "cheater", but no matter what I do AE shuts down the minute I try to use an inverter.

At the time I got my AE a few years ago I was unsuccessful at transferring the files with a flash drive and I ended up buying a portable CD drive.
Here ya go [LINK]

A thumb drive not working? Weird. If you have a network in your home with more than one computer, share the folder that has the AE files. One other option: Teamviewer [LINK]. I have professional software for doing remote admin of the computers at work (including file transfers). Teamviewer is free, it's safe, it's just as powerful as the big boys, and I've been using it with friends for years with no trouble. Heck, when it's zero degrees outside, AE your truck from the warm house if you have wireless network.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:53 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

bookmarked this thread. Excellent info m8, thank you very much

Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I finally hooked up to somebody's truck other than mine. He runs biodiesel, so I had a few things I wanted to compare and he wants to know a few things. I collected a lot of data on a short test drive and it will take me some time to review it all.

His truck is a 1999.5, but I set it up as a 2000 in the AE communications. Everything I expected to find on my 2000 was there in his 1999.5, so that is likely the answer to schlepprock250's dilema.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
could we get a cylinder contribution test video id love to know what that is "supposed"
to sound like

Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rat49f6
could we get a cylinder contribution test video id love to know what that is "supposed"
to sound like
Running or buzz? Many of the engines will sound different while running because of tunes and installed mods for HPOP.

Here's my buzz on "Stinky".

Stinky Injectors.MP4 - YouTube

Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking for running

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
UcaN
Senior User
Hi, first of all great thread.

Would it be possible to make a list of parameters to run on AE to diagnose certain conditions. Also, certain parameters on the live data meter that must meet certain levels or read a particular number. For example: i read in a thread that the Map sensor must be equal or very close to another sensor ( cant remember what sensor that is ) and if the values are way off that would indicate a faulty sensor.

How about what numbers to look out for. Icp and duty cycle values to diagnose a bad injector, etc etc.

I'm new to AE and have been reading as much as i can to figure out what sensors i should select and keep an eye on to have my truck run in top shape but i am still not sure how to use the program to it's full potential....

thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rat49f6
to sound like

Every one that I have done Jim, does nothing noticeable?

Or are you talking about a KOER test? That one is spooky the first time anyone does it.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by UcaN
Hi, first of all great thread.

Would it be possible to make a list of parameters to run on AE to diagnose certain conditions. Also, certain parameters on the live data meter that must meet certain levels or read a particular number. For example: i read in a thread that the Map sensor must be equal or very close to another sensor ( cant remember what sensor that is ) and if the values are way off that would indicate a faulty sensor.

How about what numbers to look out for. Icp and duty cycle values to diagnose a bad injector, etc etc.

I'm new to AE and have been reading as much as i can to figure out what sensors i should select and keep an eye on to have my truck run in top shape but i am still not sure how to use the program to it's full potential....

thanks
First, I just started on a monitoring binge, then I pared down the parameters to get more samples of data in a period of time. If I record everything, it takes too long for each sensor to get its turn in the recording, and it's way too much data to figure out what's going on. I have since learned to use a laser focus on specific things.

Right now I'm working on my HPOP https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ed-to-pop.html and I needed to look at Throttle Position Sensor, Fuel Injector Pule Width, Injector Control Pressure, Injector Control Pressure Duty Cycle, MPH, and RPM to get the whole picture of what's going on and why. Even with all that data, I had to be careful no to be "tricked".

What do I mean by "tricked"? I noticed my ICP would drop when my boost reached over 22 PSI, this is when the ICP DC would defuel the truck by design. When I hooked the red line back up to the turbo to prevent overboost, ICP still dropped at the same point, but the ICP didn't do it. It turned out that my HPOP couldn't keep the ICP up above 2800 RPM. Weak HPOP - yellow tape in my crystal ball.

It really helps to understand what is supposed to happen while testing for something specific, and the forum has helped to fill the Grand Canyon that is my understanding of diesels.

As for how to troubleshoot, you can ask the brotherhood for every little detail and wait for answers that can sometimes conflict, or get the used books (like I did) and augment that with the brotherhood. 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED). This book was written for Ford dealership techs as a guide to use their engine analyzer. I also bought the Excursion F-Superduty wiring diagram book. Make sure the year matches your vehicle if you get these. I bought mine on Amazon, they're also on Ebay, and the PC/ED is even in reprint. I paid $120 for everything (including shipping).

The MAP should read the same as the EBPS. These sensors read absolute pressure with KOEO, which means they read the PSI of your altitude. 14.7 PSI is sea-level (or very close to it) and as you gain altitude, the number drops. My MAP says 13.9 PSI in the driveway and I'm up a bit from the ocean. If your MAP and EBPS are dukin' it out over what your altitude is, I haven't yet learned what that would do - but I 'd bet it's not a good thing.

Clicking the check box for a sensor doesn't always do what you want, and changing the parameters doesn't always record the way you want. I clicked on the "..." button beside the parameter on the list to speed up the sampling rate from 100 ms (default) to 50 ms. It worked great on the live graphing, but it only records one parameter every 100-200 ms in the saved file. 10 parameters recording? Each gets one sample recorded once every two seconds. Don't do anything too fast or it won't record the event correctly. Maybe it's just my slow netbook... I dunno.

Put realistic ranges in the configuration of a parameter too - the defaults are to cover all vehicles (usually gas). 900 degrees on a transmission? Not more than once. 150 MPH on a superduty? Not so much. 8000 RPM on a diesel? Now we're just being silly.

That's enough generalization. I'll stick with specific questions to limit the next novella.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM
UcaN
Senior User
Thanks....that helps out a lot. Looks like i've got some homework to do.

Quick Reply: AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!