Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Air Lift HD compressor install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM
jsmahan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Lift HD compressor install

I'm preparing to install this system and looking for some pointers.

First off, did anyone install an accumulator tank and/or is one needed? If so, where did do place it in the air line schematics?

Secondly, where did you locate the compressor? I'm looking to build a bracket to place it on the frame rail. Just wondering how it'll hold up under there.

Lastly, did you hook the light wire for the gauge to the dimmer switch in the same manner as other gauges?

Thanks for any input. BTW, I'm using Firestone bags but don't foresee an issue there.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM
the truth
Junior User
What kit did you buy?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:28 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
It would be helpful to know specifically which kit you bought.

If the kit you bought did not include a tank then you don't need one, and adding one won't be as simple as just tying it necessarily depending on the kit.

Both the standard duty and heavy duty compressor are intended to be mounted outside of the cab. The biggest thing is to mount it in a location where you can minimize road debris hitting it. In short, try not to mount it directly behind your wheels.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mounted my viair compressor on my driver side, used some 1.5X1.5" angle iron that I bolted to the frame and it sits under where the rear passenger would sit, I run the intake line back along the frame so it stays dry. I've had the same comressor on my last two trucks since about 2004 and it works like a charm. I use it for my air horns, exhaust brake (self made) and airing up tires and stuff, gotta 7 gal air tank so it won't do much for tools and high demad stuff. Look in m gallery to see how I have it set up to automatically keep it at 150 psi.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM
the truth
Junior User
Air ride tanks and compressors are made to be bolted down, so I don't think brackets are necessary. Atleast on mine it wasn't.
Mine is pretty much bolted in the same place as Mongo's.

Gauge and switch. The light is tapped into a constant power source while the truck key is in the on position.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Hey truth that's a nice clean install, you got yours on the drive side, mine is on pax side. I got my pre-pump and oil bypass filters on the dirver side rail

MEOW!! lmao....

Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I mounted my compressor in the cab, don't want that road salt to eat mine up.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 PM
jsmahan
Senior User
I bought the airlift load controller 1 system. No tank was included with the kit. FF 1406, how loud is the compressor inside the cab? My experience with on board air systems tell me I don't want it inside but they are heavier systems.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
the truth
Junior User
Originally Posted by mongo75
Hey truth that's a nice clean install, you got yours on the drive side, mine is on pax side. I got my pre-pump and oil bypass filters on the dirver side rail

MEOW!! lmao....
Haha !! Thanks Mango!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
I have 2 el-cheapo compressors mounted on the passenger side rail along with a 3 gallon tank. No way I would put them inside the cab, way too loud. I use electric valves to air up or down from inside. I'm lazy.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I have two 12v solenoids(bag separation-Venting). $12 air compressor from harbor freight, All placed in a battery box and mounted to my frame rail. SO i have to ask, Why the need for that big compressor,relay to run the compressor and the air tanks, for the air ride bags ? I don't have a tank.

Speed to fill? Mine takes about a minute to pump up to 100psi.. But i only need 60psi for the camper so i never go over that and never really wish it needed to go faster.

Just wondering why so elaborate, Not saying mine is better, Just curious?

It worked out so well i bought a air compressor from harbor freight that was on sale for $6.00 and some check ***** to my Jeep air shocks for plowing. The venting is done by a 3 way valve and i just plug in the air compressor into the cig lighter to air up.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:40 PM
the truth
Junior User
Originally Posted by danskool
SO i have to ask, Why the need for that big compressor,relay to run the compressor and the air tanks, for the air ride bags ? I don't have a tank.
I went this route because I wanted reliability and I just tend to over engineer anything I do or have done. I'll post a pic of the actaul bags once I get some new shocks. They're mounted on the inside of the leaf springs.

Speed to fill? Mine takes about a minute to pump up to 100psi.. But i only need 60psi for the camper so i never go over that and never really wish it needed to go faster.
Mine takes about 5-10sec. and there is always air in the tank and compressor only kicks on when it the air in the tank drop below a certain #.

[quote=danskool;11454853]Just wondering why so elaborate, Not saying mine is better, Just curious?[quote]

I had mine built because I new nothing about this stuff and couldn't find a kit to fit my application with my truck being lowered.
I still would've went with a good compressor and tank regardless, but that's just me.

It worked out so well i bought a air compressor from harbor freight that was on sale for $6.00 and some check ***** to my Jeep air shocks for plowing. The venting is done by a 3 way valve and i just plug in the air compressor into the cig lighter to air up.
I need some pics please? I would love to put bags on my work trailer.

And everyone else, I personally would love to see pics of your set-up. Also for those who have a guage inside the cab, what did you go with? I would like to change mine and can't seem to find a dual gauge with the #'s illuminated. Mine's not really visible at all at night.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I have two 12v solenoids(bag separation-Venting). $12 air compressor from harbor freight, All placed in a battery box and mounted to my frame rail. SO i have to ask, Why the need for that big compressor,relay to run the compressor and the air tanks, for the air ride bags ? I don't have a tank.

Just wondering why so elaborate, Not saying mine is better, Just curious?

Because I like having 7 gallons of 150psi air readily available for the jerk-offs that get on the freeway doing 50mph when I'm grossing 30,000lbs doing 60. If I can't get in the left lane, a nice blast on my air horns and they either speed up or get run off on the shoulder - I'm not slowing down and then mashing the go pedal to get back up to speed because some idiot in a prius wants to save 2 cents in gas.....

Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by the truth
And everyone else, I personally would love to see pics of your set-up. Also for those who have a guage inside the cab, what did you go with? I would like to change mine and can't seem to find a dual gauge with the #'s illuminated. Mine's not really visible at all at night.
Quite a few companies make illuminated gauges, including our easy street gauges. Here's a link to our common gauge, there are also some other gauges on the same site.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
Because I like having 7 gallons of 150psi air readily available for the jerk-offs that get on the freeway doing 50mph when I'm grossing 30,000lbs doing 60. If I can't get in the left lane, a nice blast on my air horns and they either speed up or get run off on the shoulder - I'm not slowing down and then mashing the go pedal to get back up to speed because some idiot in a prius wants to save 2 cents in gas.....
That is one of the best explanations I have ever heard. I hate it when people think ok big truck they can stop. They are to stupid to realize big truck equals long slow stop.