1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me think through Onboard Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Help me think through Onboard Air

I have a 2002 super duty. I have the Firestone Ride Rite 2330 kit that I am getting ready to install. I would like to also add in the Air Lift 72000 wireless kit. I have some questions on the compressor that the Air Lift kit comes with. Does anyone know the specs on it? I would also like to add an air tank while I install all this mess. In reality I will use the compressor to inflate my air bags, low tires, and all the kids stuff that needs inflating while we are camping. I tend to think it will be plenty of compressor. Am I correct?

As far as adding a tank to the kit...can I just add it between the compressor and manifold on page 6 of this diagram? I would have the compressor wired in with a on/off pressure switch.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/manual...-681_72000.pdf

Thanks for any help. I really only want to do this once. Trying to get all my T's dotted and I's crossed.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know the specs for that pump, but i can almost gaurantee you that the compressor is only sufficient for inflating the airbags, NOT for filling a tank.

Airbags are very low volume, so you can use a very light duty compressor. For inflating toys and especially tires you will need a compressor rated for a higher duty cycle. I have used viair compressors for these applications back when i did the "jeep thing":

VIAIR Corporation - Onboard Air Systems

With one of those kits and some clever wiring, you can have everything you want in an air system. (i recommend hooking up some horns maybe even a K5LA )

Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GUNNERDOG

VIAIR Corporation - Onboard Air Systems

With one of those kits and some clever wiring, you can have everything you want in an air system. (i recommend hooking up some horns maybe even a K5LA )
Any ideas on some clever wiring? I'm all about the wireless set up that I'm looking at from Air Lift. But I also don't want to have to buy a compressor twice.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm all ears.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How much are you into fabbing up your own stuff versus "bolt in" kits?

I was in the exact same boat as you a couple months ago. The unfortunate reality is the compressors in the airbag kits are very low capacity - kinda like those $10 rattle boxes you get at discount auto parts stores. Fine for filling the low volume air bags. NOT for filling tanks. 15 minutes to add 10 psi to a truck tire....

I ended up piecing together my own system. A couple of these compressors (rated at 2.5 cfm each):
Amazon.com: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor: Automotive
to fill a 5 gallon air tank:
VIAIR Corporation - 5.0 Gallon Air Tank Part No. 91050
And then pieced together the air bag controller using manual pneumatic valves:
Gauges & Switches for Air Suspension Systems - Arnott Air Suspension Systems
along with air pressure gauges, air line, push-to-connect fittings, brass fittings to allow air tools and tire inflation hoses to be connected, switches, relays, a box to mount compressors under truck, etc etc etc.
Final cost was probably closer to 5 or 600 and took a couple weekends to piece together, but it has 10X the capabilities of the air bag kit. Airing up bags takes seconds, as does airing down. I aired up all four of my big tires after an off road adventure from 20 to 50 psi in something around 10 minutes. And everybody in camp was loving the air to top off motorcycle tires.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
Any ideas on some clever wiring? I'm all about the wireless set up that I'm looking at from Air Lift. But I also don't want to have to buy a compressor twice.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm all ears.
You're getting great advice from the members. The AirLift compressor will take a very long time to fill an aux tank. They are meant for the bag system and that's about it. Plumbing a tank in between the compressor and manifold will be more work than it's worth to make it work right, and then you'll suffer from poor performance from the little compressor. It looks like a big compressor, but it's not.
I run two compressors. I have Firestone RideRites and they have their own little compressor that came with the kit. Small, reliable, and I can easily fine tune the bag pressure. This system has been rock solid for 7 years now.

I also run a ViAir 480C(huge), and a 3 gal tank for my horns, air tools, filling tires, etc. I run the tank to 200PSI.

If I tried to fill the bags with the tank without a regulator, I'd blow them up with a blip of the switch. If this system has a problem of any kind, the bags aren't affected. They're completely separate. That's worth it for me, and I'll do it the same way when I do it again.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice photo's, William! My setup is very similar, but my air tank is on passenger side under the bed, between the frame and fender. Completely invisible. The compressors are in a steel box (with fan) behind the transfer case to shield from rocks and water.

BTW, the little pneumatic switches I installed have built in flow limiters that do a fine job of limiting flow to bags to allow precise filling. Not sure if they would handle 200 psi though.... I limit my system to 120 psi as that allowed usage of much less expensive components. Going over 150 psi would have added to cost.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on just how much money you want to put into this and whether or not waiting for air is important. Here's my 2 cents................since you have a 7.3 the best option would be to find an edc. The older York styles used to be on old Fords and Volvos as A/C compressors and can be mounted to your 7.3 with a little ingenuity and will provide the cheapest large volume of air you could ever find, they can be found at most junk yards for around $50. Do some research on the tails of the shafts before you go looking at the junk yard.

My second choice is what I have done on my 6.0 since I have dual alternators putting in an EDC is out of the question so I went with an Oasis 4000 and a 3rd battery with an auto isolator. Oasis was expensive and has been well used since I installed the system so I can vouch for the quality. Here's some pics of my setup. But I really suggest you forget the tiny electric ones and go with an EDC.

Oasis 4000

Auto isolator

3rd battery (in box)

Another shot of 3rd battery location

Air tank w/ regulator/filter/dryer

Quick connect front.

Quick connect at rear under bumper.

Air filter/ inlet routed to cab

X member for Oasis (mounted left of driveshaft in pic)

Splash shield on Oasis

Can't forget about the real train horns!.........

The Oasis is a York style compressor mounted to a 12v 100% duty cycle electric motor, 24v is available. These are used on many utility and military vehicles but like I said, the EDC is alot cheaper. I just found 2 Yorks at the pick yard about 3 weeks ago and will be putting them on my 74 4wd and an 86 Jimmy I just bought for $500.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I do want the most bang for my buck obviously. I'll keep it all in mind as I continue my search. Unfortunately I'm going to probably put it on hold for a month or so. New tires were in the budget next month, but I developed a nice bubble in the tread of one of my BFG's yesterday. So it looks like that will definitely take priority.

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for a York compressor.