1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Goodyear Badyear

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodyear Badyear

Found, what looked to be, tranny fluid under the front of my van this morning. I just had asked the local Goodyear service center replace both of the original hoses to the tranny cooler (they're old and the clamps are worn out) so I was a tad concerned.

When I shined my flashlight in through the front grill imagine my surprise to see only one new hose with the other still soaking wet with fluid.

The bill came to $81 dollars. $30 for the hose and $51 for a half hour of labor.

Careless... stupid... take your pick.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why would you even consider taking your truck to those clowns ? Aren't they the same people who wanted 2 large for a brake job ? The hose costs 5 bucks maybe.....find another mechanic or buy the manuals and do it yourself, unless you have money to burn....

Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
When I bought the van I knew there was an issue with one of the brake lines leaking so it was towed 80 miles to my home town and, since they are within walking distance of my house, to Goodyear.

While the van sat there for three days awaiting service on the line(s) I found the leaking tranny issue and, since it was there and since I had only three days to get the emissions done or my 10 day temp plate would run out I told them to do it. No big deal, I assumed. They had it up on the lift in their nice warm garage anyway.

I've learned my lesson and, with the help of the generous and knowledgeable folks on this forum, I'm confident all future work will be expertly done by me.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Seems kind of harsh & adversarial?

Originally Posted by blageurt
Why would you even consider taking your truck to those clowns ?
Good chance "the local Goodyear service center" employs ASE Certified techs. Goodyear enjoys a reputation for making excellent specialty hoses.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM
PStruwing
Senior User
I am lucky and have had great service from my local Goodyear Dealer. They are all Ford guys and do cool project cars so I think that may be the difference.

But I have had bad luck at one other one, seems to be hit or miss like most other shops.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Seems kind of harsh & adversarial?
No more adversarial much of what's been posted here before. Such a comment is probably due their in-person experience and NOT another forum member. Huge, huge difference there!

Good chance "the local Goodyear service center" employs ASE Certified techs. Goodyear enjoys a reputation for making excellent specialty hoses.
Goodyear the manufacturer might indeed make many a good product however the retail service outlets are either company-owned or franchised stores that undoubtedly have very little to do with the manufacturing wing. I dare say the hose division has almost nothing to do with either the tire brand as well.

The disparity in service has everything to do with the ownership and not the name out front. ASE certified mechanics are as prone to mistakes or shoddy work regardless where their tool boxes are parked---management makes all the difference. So far this OP has had a bad experience with the outlet so its safe to say they're not that well managed.

Scooter time to find another mechanic shop---the faster the better!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
The goal here is to be less adversarial than before.

Originally Posted by scooterspal
I'm confident all future work will be expertly done by me.
Originally Posted by JWA
Scooter time to find another mechanic shop---the faster the better!
blageurt's question "Why would you even consider taking your truck to those clowns ?" seemed to disparage every "local Goodyear service center" w/no regard to "ownership...management". A complete rejection of your theory.

Originally Posted by JWA
The disparity in service has everything to do with the ownership and not the name out front. ASE certified mechanics are as prone to mistakes or shoddy work regardless where their tool boxes are parked---management makes all the difference
If local Goodyear service center ownership/management actually did the repair work there might've been some basis to examine IF it "makes all the difference". It's easy "to find another mechanic shop" in Yellow Pages, but attempting to evaluate the ownership/management is likely a more daunting task than the mechanical issue.

IMO, if Scooter is "confident" he should be encouraged, by other FORD Truck Enthusiasts, to at least try doing "all future work" himself. And not just be relegated "to find another mechanic shop---the faster the better!".

Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
The goal here is to be less adversarial than before.
And yet completely undone by everything following!

Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Mine was leaking, I have the old Tridon screw clamps, I took my screw driver and cinched them down, if that doesn't work, the hose end is galled, cut 1/2" off, reconnect and tighten, end of story. My van is a 99, it was doing this 5 years ago and hasn't leaked since, if it doesn't have a screw clamp, put one on it.