6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM & Injectors Bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FICM & Injectors Bad

Truck at Ford dealer. Apparently I have three bad injectors (2,4 & 8) and a FICM that is reading 30volts instead of 45. I'll also point out that by alternator was tested a few weeks ago and was in tolerance but at the low end and that my 07 has 159,800+ miles on it.

Just took delivery of a new alternator from DC power earlier this week. Planing on using the FICM repair guy to take care of the FICM issue.

Two questions at this point. Should I send in my FICM and deal with the down time or buy one off the shelf that is compatible with my Flash, but maybe not an exact match? Also, could the injectors actually be ok (supposedly Ford tested them with their IDS machine.......which I am to understand is an actuall test, not just code reading) and the issues at hand be from a bad FICM?

Currently leaning toward replacing all four injectors on that side and very quickly fixing the FICM issue.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I would fix the FICM issue first then proceed to the injectors. Ed@www.ficmrepair.com is VERY fast at repairing FICM's. Usually within a day of receiving yours they are repaired and shipped back.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Talked with Ed. I'm going to replace FICM with one off the shelf (he might be quick at fixing them, but it still equals at a minimum 4 days of down time). Will have it this weekend along with some hot shot and fire power additives. If all goes as planned, by the end of the weekend I should have a new alternator in, a new FICM and some additives running throug the truck (just happened to work out that it is oil change time too).

So, we will see if the truck ends up running smooth or if there is still a hesitation and studdering feeling. If it runs smooth, I'll assume the injectors are fine.

Wish me luck.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your 'FICM off the shelf' was repaired earlier today, Joe. It's going out in the mail to you today (Thursday).

Many thanks for the business. I sure hope it clears up your injector issues as well!!

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Did the oil change yesterday with the hot shot additive. Also changed the alternator. Stock altnernator with 160,000 miles on it tested out on Friday with no load at 12.60v and with load 13.13v. New DC Power 190 alternator tested out this morning with no load at 13.84 and with load 13.93.

As far as driveability goes, it seems to be a little better although I can still feel the hesitation or studddddering (It seemed worse right when I started driving it yesterday....not sure if maybe the oil additive needed to mix in a little better with the rest of the oil). So, I now need to get the new FICM that Ed sent me installed.

I looked at my current strategy and it is VXCF4H2 TQCJ0H3. Is that the latest? If not, I might just take it in to Ford, have them install the FICM and reflash everything.....of course at that point, I'll then have to get my SCT tunes updated as well.

When installing the FICM, do you have to drain down the coolant and remove the reservoir?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, drain down coolant and remove reservoir to get at ficm. Petcock on the bottom rad hose into a clean container so you can put it back in. If you mind me asking what model dc power alt and what did it cost you? I am only gettin 13.4 volts on my stocker, only o75k miles....

Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
mhoefer - It was DC Power's 190amp model. I believe I paid what they have it listed for on their website. From what I read on here, this was one of the better alternators to replace your stock one with....specially if you have added a few accessories.....like a new head unit and amp for the stereo and a compressor for a train horn......nothing too crazy but still an additional load that is measurable and needs to be taken into account.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Pickupman2004
Did the oil change yesterday with the hot shot additive. Also changed the alternator. Stock altnernator with 160,000 miles on it tested out on Friday with no load at 12.60v and with load 13.13v. New DC Power 190 alternator tested out this morning with no load at 13.84 and with load 13.93.

As far as driveability goes, it seems to be a little better although I can still feel the hesitation or studddddering (It seemed worse right when I started driving it yesterday....not sure if maybe the oil additive needed to mix in a little better with the rest of the oil). So, I now need to get the new FICM that Ed sent me installed.

I looked at my current strategy and it is VXCF4H2 TQCJ0H3. Is that the latest? If not, I might just take it in to Ford, have them install the FICM and reflash everything.....of course at that point, I'll then have to get my SCT tunes updated as well.

When installing the FICM, do you have to drain down the coolant and remove the reservoir?
You have one of the best flashes for the PCM but the FICM is an unknown. You can get your FICM flashed by PHP for about the same $$$ as a dealer reflash and get improved MPG and throttle response.

You do not have to drain the radiator to remove the FICM. Remove the air filter, cap the two small lines on the degas bottle, and simply roll it forward into the empty space where the air filter was. Takes about 60 seconds. I actually remove the radiator to degas bottle hose at the radiator, cap that nipple, and swing it around where the manifold to degas bottle line is and put the manifold line on a turbo clamp bolt to keep it from draining.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
So I am not familiar with PHP.....someone might need to share a few more details. What makes my current stragety one of the better one? And is it the latest one or an older one? What does PHP do different than dealer that would lead to improved MPG and throttle response?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

So I am not familiar with PHP.....someone might need to share a few more details. What makes my current stragety one of the better one? And is it the latest one or an older one? What does PHP do different than dealer that would lead to improved MPG and throttle response?
I can't tell you all the particulars of the strategy. I can just tell you what the tuning folks tell me. The dealer flash is limited to what Ford gives them. Your flash is an older one which means the FICM flash is one of the aggressive inductive heat flashes that needs to be changed. Your VXCF4 PCM flash is good but if you go to the dealership they will change both.

PHP aka Power Hungry Performance. Google is your friend. They have the means to flash the FICM separately from the PCM. You can get their flash with or without inductive heating.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I can't tell you all the particulars of the strategy. I can just tell you what the tuning folks tell me. The dealer flash is limited to what Ford gives them. Your flash is an older one which means the FICM flash is one of the aggressive inductive heat flashes that needs to be changed. Your VXCF4 PCM flash is good but if you go to the dealership they will change both.

PHP aka Power Hungry Performance. Google is your friend. They have the means to flash the FICM separately from the PCM. You can get their flash with or without inductive heating.
So, take it to the dealer and I'll end up with matching FICM and PCM flashes, a better FICM flash that what I have now, but not as good of a PCM flash compared to what I have now. Send the FICM to PHP and I'll end up with different flashes (which throws a code but not one I need to worry about) but the better FICM and the better PCM.

Putting it all together, sounds like I need to go ahead and install my FICM myself today to address the more immediate concern (according to Ford dealer last week, my FICM is only measuring 30volts), don't have the dealer reflash but try to find a time where my truck could be down for a few days while my FICM gets sent to PHP. Suppose I could spend some more money with Ed, have my FICM repaired by him, then sent to PHP, then to me and then send Ed back the FICM he just sent me.....not the cheapest route, but would minimize down time with the truck (which gets driven every day) and would give me a better FICM then stock, a better FICM flash then I currently have and would leave my my better PCM flash.....which also would eliminat the need to have my SCT tunes changed. Just thinking out loud here.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

So, take it to the dealer and I'll end up with matching FICM and PCM flashes, a better FICM flash that what I have now, but not as good of a PCM flash compared to what I have now. Send the FICM to PHP and I'll end up with different flashes (which throws a code but not one I need to worry about) but the better FICM and the better PCM.

Putting it all together, sounds like I need to go ahead and install my FICM myself today to address the more immediate concern (according to Ford dealer last week, my FICM is only measuring 30volts), don't have the dealer reflash but try to find a time where my truck could be down for a few days while my FICM gets sent to PHP. Suppose I could spend some more money with Ed, have my FICM repaired by him, then sent to PHP, then to me and then send Ed back the FICM he just sent me.....not the cheapest route, but would minimize down time with the truck (which gets driven every day) and would give me a better FICM then stock, a better FICM flash then I currently have and would leave my my better PCM flash.....which also would eliminat the need to have my SCT tunes changed. Just thinking out loud here.
Sounds like your best plan to me. I think they've got the U0306 code worked out now. I know when Bill flashed my FICM I don't get it but not sure if it's like that when you send in your FICM. They also have a program where they send you a tuner and you flash your own FICM and you send the programmer back.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Sounds like your best plan to me. I think they've got the U0306 code worked out now. I know when Bill flashed my FICM I don't get it but not sure if it's like that when you send in your FICM. They also have a program where they send you a tuner and you flash your own FICM and you send the programmer back.
Looks like I'll be installing the FICM today as planned. Will also be calling PHP tomorrow and talking through some details with them. Odds are I'll have them send me the programmer.

Guess I'll know soon if my injectors are also damaged. With a little luck, they willl be fine and after all the details are addressed, maybe my truck will run better than it ever has with slightly better mpg.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Got the FICM in. Trucks still runs. Will know after a few days of driving if it fixed the hesitation or studdering the motor has been doing. If not, guess I'll need to replace some injectors.

Although there isn't much to changing out the FICM, it is a pain in the butt. I found myself laying across the engine compartment and trying to find the right position to reach everything and with the right angle that my hands could do each part.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:00 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
A foam pad is a handy thing to have around ........

Quick Reply: FICM & Injectors Bad