Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Owner of a new(to me) powerstroke, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Anthony Polsinelli
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owner of a new(to me) powerstroke, few questions

I just bought a e99 ext cab short bed f250 7.3 mated to a zf6. it has 2 oil leaks which i know exactly where they are coming from. 1 is the dipstick tube where it enters the oil pan (that o ring will be a fun one to replace) and the cps o ring which i am going to replace the cps anyways. Other than that the truck is solid and needs only minor things. Plan is to do the 6637 filter, CAC, CPS, the dipstick, the fuel filter and pressure regulator screen, add either a limited slip(its an open diff atm) or detroit locker and get the ts chip tuned. it has stacks right now ( pypes black 8in dual) which i will probably be getting rid of in favor of a dual side exit or rear exit to yield more bed room.

Questions are: How likely is it to drop the oring itself in the oil pan?
The TS has tunes on it, is there any way to figure what they are? I know 2 is high idle. but other than that i have no clue. I want to send it out to get retuned that way i do know. What tunes would you suggest? it will be a dd with some towing, a good bit of commuting, and a lot of going to the track(motocross).

Is thwre anything I should be aware of in this compared to what was my 2000 7.3 ?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 PM
ZooDad
Received 591 Likes on 344 Posts
Here is an article on how to. There are a few other methods also.

Dipstick ORing Repair

Keith

Old 01-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Anthony Polsinelli
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZooDad
Here is an article on how to. There are a few other methods also.

Dipstick ORing Repair

Keith
That is the one i was looking at. I am ready to try it, but am iffy on it as well. My friend is telling me just throw rtv on it and call it good, but i would like to repair it properly. Sould i be scared to do this?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Much of the air system is smaller on the e99, and the up pipes are shorter. Boost mods get tricky, so a few here have upgraded to late '99 air.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Anthony Polsinelli
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Much of the air system is smaller on the e99, and the up pipes are shorter. Boost mods get tricky, so a few here have upgraded to late '99 air.
I saw that(actually thats how i determined it was a e99) what do you mean by boost mods?

For now aside from whats done, the only thing thats gunna happen upgrade wise is the 6637. So it should be a non issue.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If you get CAC boots, change the spider, or choose to replace the intake plenum - you need to account for the smaller plumbing throughout. A friend lost an intake plenum seal and he wanted to upgrade to the billet plenum to make use of the O-ring seal. This involved upgrading the whole system - spider, boots, turbo, up pipes, and I think the pedestal. I am unclear on a couple of items (going off memory), but the sting was softened by the whole forum chipping in. [LINK]

Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Anthony Polsinelli
Senior User
Oh wow that sounds like a costly upgrade. What are the benefits of that? I ordered the CAC boots from RiffRaff for the e99 a few minutes ago. Also ordered the New cps, the 6637 filter and a fuel filter. Yesterday I went and got 5 gallons of rottella t(hpop as well) and an oil filter. Next up is a stop at the ford dealer to get the o ring for the dipstick(Hopefully they have one in stock or can tell me what size it actually is) After that the truck should be 100%

I have the zf6 in here, and i think it may have a short shift kit in it. how could i tell for sure?

Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The link ZooDad posted is a great reference. I did mine a few years ago and it wasn't as bad as I thought is was going to be. Yes I was nervous about dropping it in but the wire brush like the one Diesel O Rings pic (see link below) worked great. Just don't be in a hurry and take your time.

I used the International Kit like the one Diesel O Rings sells - the instructions were very good, I think it ran about $70 at the International Dealer but Diesel O Rings sells the same kit for $50.

Oil Level Gauge Adapter Repair Kit for 1994 - 2003

Strictly Diesel sells an interesting solution as well.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-269...epair-kit.aspx

Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Excellent instructions to read through.......

http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/dipstikflange.pdf

Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Anthony Polsinelli
Senior User
is there a reason to get the kit over just the oring? I like the strictly diesel idea, but that is way out of budget for this.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
The kit comes with a new internal O-ring, External gasket and a new dipstick tube O-ring (plus other items). Personally I felt better replacing all 3. But I guess you could make your own gasket and get a small O-ring for the dipstick tube.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM
Anthony Polsinelli
Senior User
^Thats what i was wondering. I am trying to do this all cheaply but properly. I wanna save up some funds to put in a detroit locker in the rear(3.73 open diff) cause the open does not cut it. it breaks loose all the time on ice or snow or anything.

List for this weekend is: the CAC boots, valve stems, drain pan leak, cps, fresh oil, adjust the e-brake the straighten the stacks back up(selling those need the bed room but they stay for now) and any other random things.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Tugly is trying to shoot the BUCK$ZOOKA on you with more air.
Your stock turbo will do fine just add an aftermarket compressor wheel on it and enjoy, unless you plan on doing some serious power take tuglys advise.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Anthony Polsinelli
Senior User
When i go to add power I am grabbing a second Powerstroke and building it up over time. I think this may have a wicked wheel in it actually. I dont know for sure yet, but it sure as hell spools nice.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd check your back tire for a leak...looks soft.

The E99 came with a wicked wheel from the factory.

Quick Reply: Owner of a new(to me) powerstroke, few questions