Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 08:50 PM
$150_4x4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hemi

i think this site should start a magazine and let us start a opinios section...god knows it ould sell lol...anyways...my uncle wrecked his 2000 chevy and they gave him one of the hemi doges as a rental...we got back to williamston and a freind of his, with a BAD *but* el camino as in 350 bored 30 over head work, cam, igniton, i mean the whole 9 yards- pulled up beside him, upon reading the "hemi" badge on the side of it he persided to cut of his acc and pat the accelartor...blah blah blah.....and i havnt seen his freind since.....as far as i know hes still sittin at that light and umm......he never went past that full sized dodge....im a ford and chevy man but i gotta hand it to mopar...they did good...now all they have to do is sell some kinda hemi package eqipped with a tow behind fuel tank..then theyd be in business lol and i was watchin the fuel monitor thing to...it dropped to 3 but on the cruise home with the cruise on...it climbed to 27. i dont know how accurate it is....anyways thats my 10 cents...

james

Old 04-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Hemi

Well, here is some stats for ya to consider. Braking distance. Dodge reg. cab,hemi, short bed, 60 mph-0, 136 ft. Ford F-350, 4door supercrew SD with 6.0 diesel, long bed, 60mph-0, 92 ft. Dodge, still the most dangerous truck on the street.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:15 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hemi

Originally posted by Flash
Well, here is some stats for ya to consider. Braking distance. Dodge reg. cab,hemi, short bed, 60 mph-0, 136 ft. Ford F-350, 4door supercrew SD with 6.0 diesel, long bed, 60mph-0, 92 ft. Dodge, still the most dangerous truck on the street.
Wow, they are both better than a viper!

Old 04-24-2003, 06:25 AM
WADDELL
Freshman User
Hemi

Where can I find these stats.Are they on the web somewhere?I dont understand why the Dodge has such ahard time stopping.I helped a buddy of mine change the brakes on his Dodge and it had dual piston calipers in the front.I guess I dont understand.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Flash
Posting Guru
Hemi

Try Trailer Boats or Boating magazine. When my 98 Ford pickup was beat to nothing in a hail storm, I tried to buy another Ford but all the Ford dealerships suffered from the same storm. I found a Ddoge pickup, priced right, and it had every option available. Besides the fact that it was always in the shop waiting for parts, the thing wouldn't stop. I changed brakes thinking that would help. Then I changed tires thinking that was the problem. I finally solved the problem 100% by getting rid of it and buying a Supercrew. Friends and family that bought Dodges no longer have them because of reliablity problems, lack of customer service, and sorry brakes. If you are considering a Dodge, I would suggest going to a Dodge website similiar to the FTE. They all are complaining about the brakes, frontends, and lousy warranty service.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:58 AM
WADDELL
Freshman User
Hemi

Try Trailer Boats or Boating magazine. When my 98 Ford pickup was beat to nothing in a hail storm, I tried to buy another Ford but all the Ford dealerships suffered from the same storm. I found a Ddoge pickup, priced right, and it had every option available. Besides the fact that it was always in the shop waiting for parts, the thing wouldn't stop. I changed brakes thinking that would help. Then I changed tires thinking that was the problem. I finally solved the problem 100% by getting rid of it and buying a Supercrew. Friends and family that bought Dodges no longer have them because of reliablity problems, lack of customer service, and sorry brakes. If you are considering a Dodge, I would suggest going to a Dodge website similiar to the FTE. They all are complaining about the brakes, frontends, and lousy warranty service.
How about the transmissions.I herd they have a lot of problems with them.

PS If I had the money I would buy a F250 4x4 with a 6.0 .but that is just a dream.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Ford 4 Life
Junior User
Hemi

I read an article that Dodge is going to shoehorn the big HEMI in the 04 all new Dakota R/T. If this true, chris,t I might have to get a Dakota along side my Ranger! Drive the Ranger and take the Dak to the track.

Greg

Old 04-25-2003, 07:28 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Hemi

The new 2002 and 2003 hd have a new brake system. Boasting best in class. Huge dual piston setups. Its about time dc did something about the lousy brakes.

The new viper is slated to stop in under 100ft. Id like to see stats that say a 6500 pound truck will stop faster than a sports car. Typical stopping distance for a truck of this size would be close to 170ft. Here is a bit of plagiarism. Not quite what we were discussing but something to think about next time you are speeding. Stopping distances are exponential. So twice as fast takes 4 times the stopping distance.

Let's start with the basics. A vehicle traveling at 60 mph covers 88 feet per second. But stopping that vehicle takes over four-and-a-half seconds and covers a distance of 271 feet (provided your brakes and tires are in fair working condition). Look at the chart on the right (thanks to Continental-Teves for the use of their chart). Note that researchers include within the stopping distance several factors other than braking. These factors -- perception time and reaction time -- add considerable distance to stopping your car. Let's take a look.

Perception time is the average amount of time it takes a driver to perceive a braking event. Researchers estimate this time at three-quarters of a second. Therefore, at 60 mph, your car will have traveled 66 feet before you're even aware that you need to slow down. And there's more. Once your brain has recognized the need to brake, it still takes another three-quarters of a second to initiate a braking action (essentially, to move your foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal). Another 66 feet has now slid beneath under your wheels. All told then, at 60 mph, 132 feet has elapsed before the vehicle begins to slow.

But remember old Isaac Newton's First Law of Motion: an object in motion tends to remain in motion. Think of Michael Jordan swooping toward the hoop, unstoppable, a blur of speed, and this will perhaps give you a more graphic illustration of Sir Isaac's first principle. Automobiles, like Jordan, tend to resist stopping. The faster they travel, the more they resist. Also, the more mass they carry, the harder they resist. Think Shaquille O'Neal vs. Jordan (although at least M.J. always made his free throws).

Back to our demo vehicle. At 60 mph, it takes your car another 138 feet to come to a complete stop. This encompasses approximately 3.1 seconds. So from the time you perceived a braking situation until the time your car came to a complete stop, a total of 4.6 seconds elapsed, during which time you car traveled -- it bears repeating -- over 270 feet. To give you an idea, that's almost the length of a football field.

at 80 mph it takes over 422 feet to stop!!!
P.S. here is the link Distance graph

Old 04-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Hemi

I found the braking distance for an 03 vette.
Acceleration Specifications (1) Coupe Convertible Z06
0–60 mph, Man. Trans. (sec.) 4.6 (manual), 4.9 (auto) 3.9 (manual)
Top Speed (kph/mph)(2) 281.6 / 175 275.2 / 171
Braking, 60-0 mph (ft.) 125

The 2000 mustang cobra svt could go 60-0 in 127ft. The regular mustang posted numbers over 150ft.

Now tell me how quick that pickup stops again.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 04-25-2003 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:52 AM
WADDELL
Freshman User
Hemi

Originally posted by WADDELL
Anybody know the 1/4 mile time of the Dog 1500 with a Hemi in it.How does the new F150 stack up?

I have heard that Ford motor has a hemi-spherical head too they just dont have the rights to the Hemi name and dog does.I dont think this true its just what I have heard.

Edit:
Whoops !
herd = a group of horses

heard = from using my ear to hear
I have heard that the Hemi has a whole herd of horses under the hood.LOL Thanks. Im not a smart man but I know what a Ford is...

Old 05-09-2003, 05:30 PM
dman01
Senior User
Hemi

I saw this and thought you guys would get a kick out of it.
http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/attachments/hemi.jpg

Old 05-09-2003, 05:32 PM
dman01
Senior User