Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

hemi is it all its crack up to be"better thancurrent ford engines?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Fast Ford & Fast women
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hemi is it all its crack up to be"better thancurrent ford engines?"

ive been hearing so much about the return of the hemi r they as good as the origonals have you heard about problems how do they perform and the name hemi came from the fact that they have hemispericle combustion chambers, what is hemispericle, r the engines better that current ford engines or worse in your opinion?

Old 12-14-2003, 08:05 PM
99xlt4.04x4
Posting Guru
the top of the combustion chamber is hemisherical (round) ans not flat. it is just a direct injection engine. click here to see how it works http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi2.htm

Old 12-14-2003, 08:57 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not as good as the old ones, if you read the Dodge forums, they're having trouble with dropping valves.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:53 PM
bassdude
Elder User
i visit the dodge forums sometimes. there's alot of problems with it. also alot of the dodge guys are finding out their hemis arent putting out the HP that dodge advertised. some are getting smoked in street races, some are getting their trucks dyno'd. either way there's a bunch of unhappy customers. i think i read that the new hemi isn't a true hemi, more like a "semi" hemi.

Old 12-15-2003, 12:23 AM
Budly
Senior User
whats the addy for the dodge forums

Old 12-15-2003, 01:57 PM
nextel_cup_fan
Junior User
the "semi-hemi" may have come from the 4.7 (?) that started in the 02's, (jeep engine, was in cherokee's i guess), wasn't full hemishperical head. they're making the pickups in mexico and the quality sucks. i don't know where the motor's made but if its mexico, watch out.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Rat wagon
Senior User
The new Hemi is pulling down the Hemmy reputation.... When I hear the word hemi I want to hear about two four barrels and how the rubber seems to disseapear everytime the gas is punched

Old 12-16-2003, 12:43 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the new hemi is indeed a semi-hemi. the combustion chamber is like the old hemi with a slight oval shape, but the piston is a flat top and there is a squish area to help w/ emissions. it used to plugs also.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:57 AM
1big79
Senior User
I don't think the new Hemi's are all they are cracked up to be. I think the whole line of dodge trucks are just tall, under-powered, cheap trucks. I do think they look good but thats all they are good for. My opinion stems from my experiences with numerous trucks.
I often have to drive my boses trucks to our sites for his business. He and his brother own a 2004 Hemi Dodge Ram 5.7L, 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L, a 91 Ford F-150 5.8L, 87 Chevy 1500 5.7L, and a 2002 F-250 6.8L. I was looking forward to him buying his new Hemi Ram so I could see what all the hype was about and when I finally got behind the wheel and stomped on it I was just like..."thats it"? He bought this new Dodge to replace the 2000 Ram which is already junk because the tranny is slipping like crazy and it isn't keeping oil pressure. This alone turned me away from Dodges. I was hoping the Hemi would save the Ram pickups. Out of all his work trucks I would have to say that the 91 Ford has been the most reliable and the best performer. With his 2000 Dodge and his 87 Chevy always being out of commission, it has been up to the Fords to do all the traveling and hauling. I was hoping the new Hemi would be a help to the crew but as it turns out the overrated Dodge can't even keep up with the old 91 Ford. To prove my theory that Dodge trucks are all hype, My wife and I have recently been involved in two encounters with Dodge truck drivers who wanted to prove their trucks were bad so they tried to race us. The first time I was in my 79 Bronco and some a-hole in a 1500 Ram was tailgating me for about 6 miles until we came up to a stop light when we reached the city. He was looking over at me and reving his motor trying to intimidate me. He had duels on his truck and he thought he would scare me. I could tell that he was a jerk just because he was sporting a dale earnhardt jr. sticker on his back window. I think the sticker on my back window of a little boy peeing on #8 got him and his truck all rev'd up and ready to race. Well anyway, the light hit green and it was no contest, I had him so far beat that the person behind me that wanted to get in on the action had enough space inbetween me in the Ram that he was able to pass in front of the Dodge. The other race I was involved in was between a brand new Hemi Dodge Ram and my wife and I in her 2000 Olds Alero 3.4L. We smoked this guy like he was standing still. Yeah, you heard right. Olds Alero. And to boot, SHE WAS THE ONE DRIVING. I was so proud of her. I must say, that was a sad day for Dodge.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:46 AM
torque
New User
Even more mis-information and half truths here. I don't wish to repeat all the points I made on the 2004 F150 forum, so please visit here =>

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=181021

In short, the HEMI owns the 5.4L 3 valve. The design of the HEMI, why it outperforms the 5.4L 3 valve, and my offer to educate you first hand are all covered in the other thread.

And FWIW, my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram is built/assembled in St. Louis. Congratulations on finding a couple threads that show issues with the HEMI. You'll find that on any forum (the complainers surface much more frequently and with more passion than the owners without issues). In each of the cases cited above, the happy owners have poured in and stand by their HEMI purchase. One begins to wonder if some of these complainers (low post counts) are imposters. The quality seems improved over a majority of the HEMI owners previous vehicles (whether that be a Dodge, Ford, or GM). Chrysler/Dodge appears to be continually improving quality.

Again, the HEMI owns the 5.4L 3 valve, please read the other thread before making yourself look clueless.

Regards.

Old 12-19-2003, 11:37 AM
da cubs
Senior User
Torque....

You are right. Daimlerchrysler keeps improving quality because they have so much room to improve. They are the #3 manufacturer of trucks for a reason. As the saying goes....'ya can't polish a turd'!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2003, 05:06 PM
jbo2121
Senior User
" i don't care who you r that's funny right there" - larry the cable guy

Old 12-19-2003, 06:48 PM
vman
Elder User
They continually improve their quality because, once your'e in the basement, the only way is up. Who ever heard of transmission woes for ten years. And I thought it was" polish a turd all you want, it's still a turd".

Old 12-19-2003, 09:37 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by torque
Even more mis-information and half truths here. I don't wish to repeat all the points I made on the 2004 F150 forum, so please visit here =>

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=181021

In short, the HEMI owns the 5.4L 3 valve. The design of the HEMI, why it outperforms the 5.4L 3 valve, and my offer to educate you first hand are all covered in the other thread.

And FWIW, my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram is built/assembled in St. Louis. Congratulations on finding a couple threads that show issues with the HEMI. You'll find that on any forum (the complainers surface much more frequently and with more passion than the owners without issues). In each of the cases cited above, the happy owners have poured in and stand by their HEMI purchase. One begins to wonder if some of these complainers (low post counts) are imposters. The quality seems improved over a majority of the HEMI owners previous vehicles (whether that be a Dodge, Ford, or GM). Chrysler/Dodge appears to be continually improving quality.

Again, the HEMI owns the 5.4L 3 valve, please read the other thread before making yourself look clueless.

Regards.
The only thing the new HEMI owns is a bay in the service department. No Dodge gasser for me, my father made that mistake and learned real fast. Plus the HEMI isn't a true Hemi design, its a "semi-hemi" so to speak.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just an observation from a guy driving a "ridiculous pile of scrap metal" as one of my co-workers, a proud owner of a shiny new 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 called my 210,000 mile '96 F-150. After his third trip to the dealer for transmission service, I began to wonder. Maybe the new Hemi is a hot little number. Maybe, as previously observed, it does own the 5.4L 3 Valve Triton.

However, it would seem that the rest of the truck isn't quite up to the task of handling the mighty new elephant. I say, the hell with the new Dodge, and the new Ford trucks AND the new Chevy/GMC trucks. Any Power Wagon, pre 1997 F-Series, or pre 1988 C/K could out work, out haul, and out last the carified sissy turds Detroit has foisted on the market. Sure, the new trucks may be cushy and faster, but I thought trucks were supposed to work hard, and be dependable and long lasting. Instead what we have is Pseudo Musclecars (too slow to keep with real Musclecars, I might add) that spray their transmission guts all over the place the first time you hook a jet ski to the back. Seriously, think about it. Today, you have to buy a 3/4 ton to do the same types of hauling that a half ton could do ten to fifteen years ago. And this is progress? I think it's a money scam.

But then, what do I know about durable long lasting trucks? I'm driving a ridiculous pile of scrap metal.

Dave

Quick Reply: hemi is it all its crack up to be"better thancurrent ford engines?"