Modular V10 (6.8l)  

ford 6.8 v10 vs hemi 6.4 v8/how to find specs on fords?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:45 PM
chrisc8869
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford 6.8 v10 vs hemi 6.4 v8/how to find specs on fords?

I just sold my truck and toy hauler and will be replacing both. i cant find much info on comparisons on these two engines. Maybe its cause the hemi is a newer one. I have been looking at getting a new or used truck. I have a new ram 3500 6.4 truck on order (under no obligation, they didnt take a deposit). But, its over 40k and if i can find something for around half the price that is a good deal......So, I dont care about mpg and dont want a diesel (read too many horror stories and i dont tow enough). Its hard to find a 6.4 hemi with 4.10 ratio used or new. Most dealers get them with 3.73. . The truck i ordered has the 4.10 ratio and is rated to tow just over 15k. I will be pulling a 5th wheel but not sure of the weight cause i havent got it yet. Im looking at ones that are around 11k pounds maybe 13k tops. Im not too familiar with the way ford does their specs. They have different ones for towing packages/camper packages/super dutys conventional towing, fifth wheel towing etc. so i have trouble finding the info. Its just confusing. How does this engine compare to the hemi if they have the same axle ratio say a 4.10. I am eyeing a 07 f350 on clist right now. But it has a plow on it. Im a little hesitant to buy a truck that has done plowing cause of all the stress on the tranny. Im assuming payload would be similar (somewhere around 4000. Is there a sticker that lists payload on the drivers door inside? On a ram, you can go to an equipment listing site and just find out everything about the vehicle (by vin). Tells you all the options, axle ratio installed etc. Thanks

Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you google enough you will find your answers. Unfortunately I don't know what your specific question is here.

A generalized ENGINE answer is to compare HP and torque numbers. A higher HP will keep the load moving better while a higher torque will get the initial load moving better.

The amount of payload on all vehicles depend mostly on the axle/tire capabilities and they are fixed. You must subtract the actual truck weight from that allowed rating to determine how heavy of an additional load you can place on them. And it should be obvious that the more luxuries you have on the truck then the heavier it gets which lower the allowance for other items. IE: larger cab = weight. 4WD more weight, larger engine = more weight, ETC.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:08 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here ya go just googled 07 superduty towing specs.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/07RVTTguideApr08.pdf

Hope it helps.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:19 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy the Dodge, Unless the Ford is dirt cheap. I talked to a guy that hauls RVs from the factories & he tells me that Dodge is the most popular with the haulers these days.

I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 V10 5 speed. It is the best truck I have ever owned. I have a 95 F150 4x4 302 5 speed. The Ford has cost me way more to own than the Dodge with running about the same yearly mileage. The big difference is the Dodge does heavy hauling where the Ford gets driven mostly empty.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:11 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The 07' 6.8l will handle a 13k fiver with room to spare. It is nice that the V10 makes its power lower in the rpm range (like you want for a truck/hauler) too than any of the "Hemi" engines and none of the liability of the useless MDS system either. I would be hesitant to get a truck that had a plow on it to but it really depends how much plowing it did. If it is from a plowing business forget about it. If you look there are still real nice 6.8l Ford super duties out there that never saw a plow.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 AM
Ben55GMC
New User
Reliability

It has been a couple of years since the Hemi vs Triton question was first posted on the forum. At some point it devolved into the usual gas vs diesel discussion, and-- as someone who depends on trucks for work and who has made purchasing mistakes--that compelled me to try to assist first time diesel buyers in the market following the 2002/2010 diesel regulation changes. I'd like to help others avoid the mistakes I've made. (When it comes to Ram 6.4 vs Ford 6.8 vs Ford 6.2, I'd appreciate updates please).

I'm a small business owner who runs medium duty, and tows 5,000 - 10,000 lbs daily, and loads an additional 1,000 - 7,500 lbs on the trailer and flatbed daily. I run within about a 200 mile radius in my region (Western Carolinas). I used to run light Superduty and carry about 3000 lbs of bulky load in the truck and on the back, while running the mountains of PA, WV, OH, VA, and NC. Despite those weights and miles, I made a mistake by going diesel at first.

The diesel powered trucks are fun. I have to confess I love them. Smiles per mile for sure Lots of torque and HP. However...they are expensive to purchase, and expensive to operate. They are cost effective for only specific uses and for a limited number of miles/hours.

The mandated emissions systems have created engineering vs cost challenges that limit the life of the motors. If you are unlikely to run the truck beyond warranty, or dont mind spending tens of thousands of dollars over the years as a power enthusiast, this isn't a problem. Enjoy the MPG and the awesome power. I know I did. If you are buying a truck for utilitarian reasons and plan to run it for it's entire service life, read on...

With light duty diesel motors, and light duty diesel motors shared with lighter medium duty trucks, it is not a matter of *if* you will have to do a major engine overhaul. It is a matter of, 'when.' Unless you are looking for power and fun, ignore what you hear from the Cummins, Powerstroke, and Duramax enthusiests and recreational drivers. The Big Three are all struggling with potentially devastating failures. Chevy was smart to temporarily bow out of the medium duty truck market (they re-badged Isuzus). Ford, which struggled more than the others from 2003 through about 2013 has now managed to produce a medium duty diesel that *should* last much longer than the others by offering a de-tuned version of it's 6.7 in the F450 and F550. It should also compete with the heat/EGR troubled Cummins and Duramax in the up-powered lighter trucks just fine. However, the Ford's are still plagued by hard-to-pinpoint intermittent and consistent sensor failures, some of which can lead to catastrophic motor problems. (Just as the Duramax and Cummins also have serious cost vs engineering challenges). Frankly, the only way to get your money out of a diesel truck is if you are towing well over CDL mass (more than 10,000lbs) and burning at least 50,000 miles a year, and/or you plan to dump the truck on the used market before the odometer/hours cross a threshold set by your savvy fleet manager.

Current diesel motors are a big money pit once you get over about 175,000 to 220,000 miles of private use, or the equivalent hours of pro use. After only 200,000 miles, or the hours equivalent, modern Super Duty/Ram/Chevy chassis and cabs still have a lot of life left in them. As a little guy, I need that life. Truck down time can break me. Once I realized I could source a fresh Triton V10 for the cost of tearing down a fouled EGR system, or replacing trouble prone diesel injectors there was no turning back. When it comes time to do an engine swap on that grenade-d diesel, you are looking at $9,000.00 if you are connected, and $15,000.00 or $16,000.00 at the dealership. And you _will_ have to replace that motor. Especially if you run a tune to dodge the EPA regs.

If you like that power as much as I do, and can afford it or trade it in every couple if years, have fun!! Or, if your business makes diesel the right choice (hot shot, expeditor, big fleet, etc), I get it (and I'm jealous a little. But if you need to wring every mile and operational hour out of that truck, you will love that big gas lump under the hood, even as you pull to the right lane going up the mountain. Smile when that kid shoots you the middle finger passing you on the hill. Lol.

I hope this helps some one avoid the traps I fell into. If any fleet managers want to correct or modify any of my points, I understand. Thanks in advance for any up-to-date input/advice on the reliability of the latest gas motors in the Ram and Ford medium duty trucks.

Last edited by Ben55GMC; 10-04-2017 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Cost estimate typo
Old 10-04-2017, 06:48 AM
Ben55GMC
New User
Updates 2017

Sorry. Newb here. I just realized that I posted a reply to a thread the forum prompted me to read. It looked like it was part of the same thread.

I would like the latest opinions on the gas motors please. <Bump>

Old 10-04-2017, 06:50 AM
Ben55GMC
New User
Post deleted (newb repeat)

Deleted repeat post.

Last edited by Ben55GMC; 10-04-2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Delete