High-End Stereo Installs & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:14 AM
customfab
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High-End Stereo Installs & Feedback

Hi,

I'm designing my stereo setup for my X & would like to get some feedback from others. I'm looking for real-world experiences so I can make a better informed decision.

I've made a decision to run Hertz HSK 165 components in both the front & rear doors. I may actually use Q logic kick panels for the best imaging but am still debating the expense vs simply installing in the factor door locations. Anyone tried these kick panels?

My main debate is regarding a 3rd pair of 6.5 speakers or not. Our X's have a 3rd set of factory speakers near the 3rd row of seats. I either installing dedicated midrange speakers (probably Image Dynamics CX64 V2s) or not. I'm just not sure if there are needed & will make any improvement to the imaging for the rear passengers. Any input here?

I will be adding a pair of 10" Sundown Audio subs in a custom enclosure where the spare tire sits.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:19 PM
rsplash40
Senior User
If you aren't competing I would skip the kick panels. They have helped my installs back when I was active in it but took up a good amount of real estate for my big frame.

The third row speakers are questionable too never really looked in my ex so didn't know they were there

I would think that a third set at that distance might screw up timing and pull the image backwards.

I've seen some pics of 8s or 10s in the rear doors. I want to try that if I ever get to build again

Old 11-21-2011, 02:25 PM
customfab
New User
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna forget about the 3rd row of speakers. Seems to be just a waste of money.

I've seen those custom built mounts in the rear barn doors. Nice place to hide them, but I was read people stating their sound was compromised as they would never seal it 100%. I'd hate to cut up the door in order to install a sealed enclosure. I'm going to build a custom box where the spare tire sits.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Daz00Excursion
My Backpack Gots Jets

Originally Posted by customfab
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna forget about the 3rd row of speakers. Seems to be just a waste of money.

I've seen those custom built mounts in the rear barn doors. Nice place to hide them, but I was read people stating their sound was compromised as they would never seal it 100%. I'd hate to cut up the door in order to install a sealed enclosure. I'm going to build a custom box where the spare tire sits.
i had a custom built rear speaker box glassed in the rear barn doors that held 10inch square subs. no air leaks. it was built right. no shortcuts taken. the space you have in the back barn doors are actually big enough to construct an air tight box for some subs. but its costly.

just a bit dirty from my hands lol

Old 11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rsplash40
If you aren't competing I would skip the kick panels.
X2

I would think that a third set at that distance might screw up timing and pull the image backwards.
If your head unit has a kick *** DSP, you can probably adjust the timing, but I don't know of too many that have 6 way adjustment (my Kenwood has only front left/right, rear left/right and sub settings, no settings for a third set) but I would bet those receivers that do surround sound probably would.

I've seen some pics of 8s or 10s in the rear doors. I want to try that if I ever get to build again
I've seen those and while they look great, I'd be concerned about vibration on the arm that limits the door opening - and just rattle in general. I've kept my third row removed and put the speakers in a box there (In my Expedition and now the Excursion once the weather clears up a bit) - lets me still run them if I add the third row (just move the box back) or run them up close behind the 2nd row when I put the storage drawer in the back...works fine and not much rattle from the rear area since it's not right on top of it.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 PM
customfab
New User
Originally Posted by Daz00Excursion
i had a custom built rear speaker box glassed in the rear barn doors that held 10inch square subs. no air leaks. it was built right. no shortcuts taken. the space you have in the back barn doors are actually big enough to construct an air tight box for some subs. but its costly.

just a bit dirty from my hands lol

Nice, I like. I can do the glasswork but not sure if I'm that committed to modding up my interior.

Judging off the input, I've decided to not run a 3rd pair of speakers. May just distract the front imaging of the stereo. I'm rarely going to have peps in the 3rd row anyway. The dogs will have to deal with it...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Auburn_in
Senior User
I have the kick panels and the only problem I had with them was the parking brake won't engage all the way. Not that I need it. I have pictures on the link below.

blig black Excursion pictures by auburn_in - Photobucket

Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Showboat911
New User
I went with the "3rd row seat removal option" and had a Triangular dual 10" subwoofer sealed enclosure built that rest against the back of the second row seating, matching carpet, speaker cover grills, and sounds great once I added the 2in tweeters to the front pillars to complete the full range of sound. only problem I can forsee will be when I need to lay down the back seats.

My biggest hangup with my 00' X is trying to figure out how to fit a double Din reciever in the 1.5 Din space. so currently I am still running stock deck, but I added a hidden mp3 player loaded with 8gig SD card of music and has a 3.5mm headphone/output jack that feeds a cassette adapter, mounted semi-permenatly behind the covy hole for line of sight to be able to use the remote, and I have all the music I can ever listen to, and its all hidden and no one knows the difference.

Sumas-Media-6-in-1-Mobile-Accessory-Kit

Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Daz00Excursion
My Backpack Gots Jets

Originally Posted by Showboat911
I went with the "3rd row seat removal option" and had a Triangular dual 10" subwoofer sealed enclosure built that rest against the back of the second row seating, matching carpet, speaker cover grills, and sounds great once I added the 2in tweeters to the front pillars to complete the full range of sound. only problem I can forsee will be when I need to lay down the back seats.

My biggest hangup with my 00' X is trying to figure out how to fit a double Din reciever in the 1.5 Din space. so currently I am still running stock deck, but I added a hidden mp3 player loaded with 8gig SD card of music and has a 3.5mm headphone/output jack that feeds a cassette adapter, mounted semi-permenatly behind the covy hole for line of sight to be able to use the remote, and I have all the music I can ever listen to, and its all hidden and no one knows the difference.

Sumas-Media-6-in-1-Mobile-Accessory-Kit
in order to fit a double din in the stock opening. you will have to do some minor cutting.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Auburn_in
Senior User
minor indeed, or as the previous owner of my truck did, cut that whole piece out between the stereo and heater controls. whish I could get a new dash piece. It's not on the top of my list though

Old 12-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Not sure if this old thread will interest you or not, but here ya go, just in case.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post4641604

Stewart