Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What could go wrong with my replacing IP

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:59 AM
curbill4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face What could go wrong with my replacing IP

Just replaced my injector pump with a rebuild. It is a 93 IDI auto. When we bled the lines it started right up and ran as smooth as it ever did. I spoke to a diesel shop (only one in area) to check on the timing as I do not want to take it around the block and blow anything. The mechanic informed me that there is no way to time this without pulling out the IP and reinstalling it using TDC etc, etc. There has got to be a way to check on timing this engine without pulling out the IP. The mechanic said I may have lucked out and did it right so my question is do I just get in the drivers seat and take it around the block???? Guess I am leary of breaking something.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would find a different mechanic. If it started and is running smooth you are in the clear.
If you didn't remove the gear cover and the gear, there is no way you could have messed up installing it.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New mechanic!

Starmilt is right. If you did not remove the pump gear cover and gear, there is an alignment dowel in the pump that wont allow you to incorrectly align the pump with the gear. If you did remove the cover and gear then that is a whole different ballgame, but since it started, that is probably not likely. You can time it by ear, and get it close. If you take it to someone, make sure they have a pulse timer, or they are just guessing as well. Do a search for "timing the pump" in this forum.

Good luck,

Mac.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 PM
86f250XLT-4x4
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want you can order online a pheret timing adapter(think I spelled that right) use it and a adjustable timing light together and you can adjust it that way but like stated by starmilt If it started and runs fine you will be fine

Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
your mechanic is confusing his "timings".
he doesn't know how to adjust the ignition timing for this engine,this much is clear anyway.he's not alone.not too many places do this anymore,so don't think less of him because of it.
grab yourself the timing equipment so you can do it yourself is best,like advised already above.
it's a good idea to check it yearly anyway,especially with these fuel prices.no computer to do it for us automatically.we've got to use old school methods.

"What could go wrong with my replacing IP"

you remove the timing gear cover and frig up the timing your mechanic was worried about:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing%20article.htm

Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the difference if his mechanic is talking about this motor or a gas one, Timing is timing, if it is close and starts and runs right, it just needs adjusted, not tore down.
I say find a new mechanic, or get what you need and do it yourself.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes or no on the cover?

Curbill,

Did you remove the cover or not. If you did FordF250s' referenced article is a great one, but this method of aligning the gear marks takes away any guess work.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pump-gear.html

If you didn't star has a great point. Better to get a the proper equipment and learn to do it yourself. Either way, it sounds like you need to find a different mechanic for your truck.

Mac.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Same thing with a bobcat 843 inj. pump I just swapped out. The bobcat folks said I had to set the motor to a tdc and do all this crap with a meter. I just removed it, switched the gear over and put it back in, lined up the marks and timed it by ear, runs like a charm.

Sounds like you did it right, don't be afraid to drive it.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
curbill4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not take the cover off. The new pump went into the timing gear as close to where it came out. The truck starts right up and sounds just like it did before the pump went out. I was driving down the road and it just stopped running. I did not have any thick oil going thru the pump so I have to feel that something just stopped supplying fuel. The mechanic that i spoke too most likely just wanted a 4 hour job. As it only took me 3 hours and I did not know whqat I was doing I kinda did not trust this mechanic anyway and needed outside mentors to help me decide. I did take the truck this afternoon and drove around t6he block and nothing blew up. I will try to find the proper tool to do the timing as 7 shops that I called said they did not know anything about timing a Ford diesel with a tool. Most said they do it by ear. Yeah well I am hard of hearing and the only difference I notice is when the truck goes silent. Thank you for the input.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by curbill4
I will try to find the proper tool to do the timing as 7 shops that I called said they did not know anything about timing a Ford diesel with a tool. Most said they do it by ear. Yeah well I am hard of hearing and the only difference I notice is when the truck goes silent. Thank you for the input.
lol.
well iv got pretty good hearing,and the proper tool,and let me tell ya,it's like Mel once said,you have to be lucky rather than good to get within spec by ear.you can actually get her pretty close (way better than just by ear) by "feel" aka test driving with minor adjustments though.probably close enough for most this way,but it's still not the best of idea's.a lot of people associate more power with increased engine noise.it plays with the mind lol and can throw 'em off.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
George D.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I refuse to use the light and laugh at the guys I've seen use it but that was more because he was special. My point is the timing specs are for these engines when they are new with new pumps and new injector and high sulpher fule sure people like mel have compiled update specs for ulsd but whats right for one engine isn't for another I time by ear to start then by smoke on snap throtles then by respons and egt when driving to me its the most acurate way to do it. But to each their own.