Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooray for me - tho it does grind going into reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
donberry
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hooray for me - tho it does grind going into reverse.

Been working on a 87 F150, inline 6, manual tranny and have asked some pretty silly questions. Needed to replace the clutch, clutch master/slave and the oil pump. I'm not the most mobile guy around (back is totally fused so I do not bend in anyway shape or form, which includes my head does not turn or tilt).
Use to doing all of my repairs, never really know what I am doing but get a service manual (Haynes in this case) and go at it.
Took a lot longer than I thought it would. It was the little things that took forever - like the gussets on the cross member - what a pain - does it really need those gussets anyway (yes, I did put them back on). Getting to the 2 bolts on the master cylinder inside the cab - try doing this without moving any part of your body except your arms and legs a nano inch - of course you have to take off the motor mounts and lift the engine to change the oil pump.....
basically a typical repair job for me with me making everything much harder than it has to be.
Anyway - I just backed the truck out of the garage. Oil pressure used to be really low, now it is great (I know some don't like them, but I went with a mechanical gauge as I like to know exactly what is going on when it comes to oil pressure)
Was having a hard time with the shifter, turned out it was in reverse, so used a socket extension and played around and it slipped back into neutral.

Great oil pressure and the clutch actually works good. It does grind a fair amount going into reverse. Not sure if it is because the forward gears are are synchro so don't grind if the clutch isn't fully disengaging, but I am going to take a wild guess and just think reverse is going out on it. Was my son's truck and this was the 1st time the tranny oil has been changed in over a decade, if ever. I am going to see if maybe I can go from 2nd to reverse without grinding.
But she is off the jack stands, drove around the "block" (I live in the country) and everything seemed great, except reverse.
This truck has been sitting for over a year. Finally got tired of it sitting and figured if my son wasn't going to use it, I would. Of course he will probably want it back now....
anyway - I am just happy. Almost done and she will be on the road again.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It may be that the clutch is dragging a little, may improve with driving. Maybe all the air is not out of the hydraulic system, try driving it along a rough road to get the last of it out.
Now for the bad bit, might be a good idea to look under the dash at the clutch pedal linkage and make sure the linkage bushings are good (painfull even if back and neck are good).
Finally have a look at the firewall (where the master cyl bolts up) and check for any flexing/cracking while a helper works the clutch pedal.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
donberry
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I climbed back under the dash and turned the master cylinder rod out as far as I possibly could, had to push it in slightly to get it to fit on the pedal.
Clutch apparently was not completely disengaging as it is smooth as butter now.
Few days ago I thought I had a clutch return spring problem - nope, I read about even after you bleed the clutch you still have to pump it a bunch. Pumped it about 20 times and I thought it was pretty good. Moved that rod out a few turns and it sure seems good as new to me. Seems to work about perfect now.

Thanks for everyone's help and that includes the posts where I searched and got answers.

I am a happy, happy man