How do you set the ignition timing on a TFI IV distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 PM
mxhowes1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you set the ignition timing on a TFI IV distributor?

Re: 84 E-150 4.0 with TFI IV.

It's only been two years but I finally got this damn TFI IV Distributor to put out some spark and the motor started right up. I marked the distributor before I ever removed it and have it back in the same place but I also noticed another mark by someone previous to me that's about 10~15 degreese off my mark. I've been looking thru the factory shop manual but can't find any reference to setting timing on the TFI IV. I can't find a crank angle sensor (if there is one, then OK, close is all you need and the computer will do the rest) I'm OK, the Van starts and runs but I was just wondering about the timing.

Now...... for anybody who has a Non running TFI 4.9 read my story and shake your head.

Two years ago my son stopped for some food after driving about 2 hours and the Van would not start, or would start, run for a few min then die. I towed it home to find no spark. Looked like a typical TFI failure. He had already (on the road) replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil. After researching this common problem I looked at the TFI module. It tested bad as described in the pinpoint tests in the shop manual. (all other components in the pinpoint test checked out OK) I replaced the module with a new one and still no spark. The only thin left to replace was the stator (PIP or pickup...whatever you want to call it). I pulled the distributor apart, replaced the stator...still no spark. Since ignition switches are prone to go bad I threw a new one in with no luck. By this time I had better things to do and the Van sat for almost two years. Then my son's replacement Van got smashed up so I started to do SOMETHING with this piece of junk that was taking up valuable garage space. After a week of going thru all the test procedures again and finding nothing wrong I swallowed my pride, bought another new TFI unit and stator as the last ditch attempt to drive it. I had my spark tester on the coil wire, hit the key and there was spark. Dumped a little gas down the carb and it ran for a few seconds. After two more shots of gas down the carb, it ran like new.

I guess...just because you buy a new part doesn't mean it functions correctly. The 'new' TFI passed every test I could find but still didn't work. I don't know how many hours I spent barking up the wrong tree, but at least it runs and now I have a smashed up van to replace the non-running van that was consuming the garage space....life goes on.....

Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Ranger GT2
Elder User
If I remember right (it's been a while since I've done one) you let it warm up and then you have to pull the spout connector ( the computer then won't allow the timing to be changed) and check your timing. You may want to check the emission sticker but most of the time it has a initial timing of 10 degrees BTDC. Set it to what the sticker states and when your done remember to plug the spout connector back in.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:16 PM
canc3rkills
New User
I guess...just because you buy a new part doesn't mean it functions correctly. The 'new' TFI passed every test I could find but still didn't work. I don't know how many hours I spent barking up the wrong tree, but at least it runs and now I have a smashed up van to replace the non-running van that was consuming the garage space....life goes on.....[/QUOTE]

i came acrost your post from almost 3 years ago and im having the same issue with a truck of mine. when you say the tfi unit is that the same as the icm? and is it fender mounted or distributor mounted? could you tell me what test you used to check the "tfi". heres a link to my post Starting problems 94 f150 4.9l I6 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

if you think this sounds liek the same issue please respond with any help you can thank you so very much

~ryan

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic

Just did a quick search and came up w/that. If it's good let us know...

Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM
mxhowes1
Junior User
Try this if the other link doesn't work. This is a real good piece of info. Just keep in mind that when I checked the 'new' TFI unit it passed all of these tests but the van still didn't run untill I bought a 2nd 'new' TFI unit.

Ford Ranger/Bronco II TFI Ignition Diagnostics

Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Paul2020
New User
What is Best TFI Brand (Next to Motocraft)?

mxhowes1,

Wow! That was a while ago. Hope you and your are still checking this forum for messages.

What brand TFI did you end up using?

I believe I've got the same problem with a bad TFI. Working on confirming it now. Its on an 88 E-150 Conversion van. Real nice condition other than this no-start problem.

I've been pricing the TFI's for a Motocraft and they are sky high! It looks like I can get one between $100 and $150.

The after markets of course are a fraction of the cost, but I understand there was a real problem with the heat burning this part out. One parts man told me that the brand name "Standard" was quite good and came with silicone or something to help shield it from quite so much heat.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Paul

Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 PM
rustywheel68
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul-

The later model TFI ignitions (i'm not sure of the years) came with a remote-mounted module, to keep it away from the engine heat. You could probably find one in a junkyard and retrofit it into your setup.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
mxhowes1
Junior User
OK, the Van has been running for two years now without missing a beat. The first two TFI's lasted about 75K each. Since I am getting close to the next 75K mark what I am going to do is purchase an aftermarket TFI, swap it to make sure that it works, box up the old (good) one for a spare and down the road I go.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Paul2020
New User
mxhowes1 -

Glad to see you are still here in the forum!

Glad to hear its still running good! Sounds like you went with Motocraft TFI's on those last two then.

Any idea which aftermarket you'll use this time?

Thanks!

Paul

Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Paul2020
New User
Originally Posted by rustywheel68
Paul-

The later model TFI ignitions (i'm not sure of the years) came with a remote-mounted module, to keep it away from the engine heat. You could probably find one in a junkyard and retrofit it into your setup.
Rusty -

I did see a link on that from the first post mxhowes1 made. Maybe that is the way to go. Sounds like quite a bit of work but maybe worth it. The guy that did that one said you have to get a shielded wire running to it so it won't pick up any pulses from the radio or anything else. You also have to close up the hole on the distributer he said. He used sheet metal for that.

I think for now I'll try an aftermarket to get it running and maybe go to that later.

Thanks!

Paul

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
"...The first two..."
yeah, but the very 1st one lasted all THAT time/miles.
Don't leave out the special grease U put under it, mount it where there's no heat issues as well.