1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Desert 4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krewat
What balljoints did you use?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Motorcraft - right from Amazon, they were around $37-40 each. With Prime, I got 2nd day shipping for no charge.

I couldn't figure out what other brands were out there that were "good" - some say they are a million times better than stock, but then anything that has grease from the factory in 'em would be better

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you cak use the MOOG sleeves with OEM joints, I'm not positive I was told by someone else, (an alignment guy) I have not tried myself!
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
My alignment cams are indeed the 50421 part numbers.

So they are indeed "straight up" in terms of caster adjustment, with a .5 degree camber adjustment (I'm assuming it's "+").
So I think yo get what you'll have to get a dual axis type bushing like from Moog and Raybestos. Not sure I seen one in the Dan link you provided.

Here's a scan from the instructions that came with the Moog dual axis bushings I bought. If I understand it correctly it looks like you can use F/BC for drivers side and V/LM for the passenger side.

Name:  dualaxis.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  380.7 KB

Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
I don't think you cak use the MOOG sleeves with OEM joints, I'm not positive I was told by someone else, (an alignment guy) I have not tried myself!
Jim & fat Monty
I wouldn't understand why you couldn't. The bushing goes on the outside of the top ball joints stud so unless the stud was bigger with the Motorcraft ball joints it should work. Then again I have Moog ball joints so I won't be able to find out for sure.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you put the Moog ball joints into your stock sleeves?
If so, that would indicate they are very similar in size!

PS: I've found some alignment guys to be full of, well, doo doo. But they spew doo-doo with great authority!
Used to be aligning a car required understanding and intelligence. With the advent of the computerized machines, it doesn't. Now any mouth breathing high school dropout can attach the laser reflectors and blindly do what the machine says without understanding a thing.

On a side note, I had a friend that was "old school" alignment guy and a racer. He said the new machines made it look flashy and were fast, but he still did his vehicles, his friends' vehicles, and all the racers' vehicles by hand with the old fashioned mechanical tools - tape measures, string, gages, sliding turntables, etc. Took longer, but far more accurate. I now have a precision camber gage and do my own camber and toe alignments. Some day I will get turntables so I can do caster, but that is $$ and the least likely to require changing so the last one to add to my tool set.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Ford350R
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
I wouldn't understand why you couldn't. The bushing goes on the outside of the top ball joints stud so unless the stud was bigger with the Motorcraft ball joints it should work. Then again I have Moog ball joints so I won't be able to find out for sure.

I have to agree I used Mooge ball joints with OEM sleeves I have to think the taper has to be the same. I repalced everything up front and got the toe in within 1/16 with a tape measure. Cost me $80 to find out how accurate I was. That was the end of my death ride problems.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Mike, that sheet looks like a brain-scan!

That Moog adjustable sounds like this (if link comes up right):

NAPA AUTO PARTS

At first, I was thinking one of the 2.25 or 2.5 degree cams would work, because they have 8 separate "cogs" to orient the cam, and just put it one cog off, but that would be far more camber than just .5 degrees.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Monster-4
Yeah thinking it through it does not make any sense the would have to be the same as far as size goes I'm thinking ^^^^^he mus have wanted me to buy the new cams! (it worked!) and that sheet is pretty intimidating at first but as I took a sheet o paper and covered the left side then used another to guide across the +11/2* caster it made perfect sense! you can pretty much set it any where you want this will be a neat Saturday project once I figure out my IDM problem...
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM
HLDDWGN
New User
Talking

The alignment cams help bring those vehicles that are way out back into Spec.They do effect camber and(slightly caster). Amd they do go up to 2 inches. That's where those of us that know steering and suspension come in.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 PM
HLDDWGN
New User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
Yeah thinking it through it does not make any sense the would have to be the same as far as size goes I'm thinking ^^^^^he mus have wanted me to buy the new cams! (it worked!) and that sheet is pretty intimidating at first but as I took a sheet o paper and covered the left side then used another to guide across the +11/2* caster it made perfect sense! you can pretty much set it any where you want this will be a neat Saturday project once I figure out my IDM problem...
Jim & fat Monty
You still have that problem? Did Greg come over? I'm in New River maybe I could help.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 PM
HLDDWGN
New User
Sorry to hijack.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM
HLDDWGN
New User
If you want and if you are in the area I can "tape" your alignment. Yes I can do the old school crap. I was born with a wrench in my hand instead of a spoon in my mouth.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HLDDWGN
You still have that problem? Did Greg come over? I'm in New River maybe I could help.
He's bringing down his AE tomorrow afternoon, I had a foot ball, and soccer practice this afternoon, too many kids ^so little time! Thanks for the offer though I really appreaciate it
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...lol
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 AM
HLDDWGN
New User
Sorry I didn't post earlier. I used to set up drag cars. So I know a little. ( ASE steering and suspension).

Quick Reply: Alignment cams