Sponsored by: Moser

78 f150 windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 PM
78150custom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78 f150 windshield

Bought a new windshield for my ford on friday. The lady at the glass place said its just rubber mounted with the seal. Could someone confirm this? My dad and I will be installing it ourselves. Need to know if I have to grab some urethane before we head out to the farm to do it

Old 10-01-2011, 06:13 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 254 Likes on 159 Posts
Unless the seal is in much better shape than any of this series that I've seen in a while I would strongly recommend a new seal as any original is going to be hard. Install with a thin strong piece of rope on the inside lip and lots of lubrication. The windshield is held in by the seal, no glue required. And if you have the stainless steel molding I do not envy you. A two person job. And good luck.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM
78150custom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Unless the seal is in much better shape than any of this series that I've seen in a while I would strongly recommend a new seal as any original is going to be hard. Install with a thin strong piece of rope on the inside lip and lots of lubrication. The windshield is held in by the seal, no glue required. And if you have the stainless steel molding I do not envy you. A two person job. And good luck.
I bought a new seal as well without the stainless steel trim in it. what is the rope for?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 78150custom
I bought a new seal as well without the stainless steel trim in it. what is the rope for?
The rope is inserted inside the outside lip and is used to cheat the seal over the windshield opening.

Sounds like you've never done this before so here ya go. This is my method and works for me so for those of you that do it different, so be it:

Tools:
Window/glass cleaner, paper towels
Rubbing alcohol and clean rags
Single edge razor blades
Urethane sealer (from your local autobody shop). I use 3M.
Caulk gun
Nylon cord ..24 inches plus a length long enough to encircle the perimeter of the windshield
A helper.. this is waaaay easier as a two man job.

Read before attempting and ask any questions now

Day One:
1. Clean the perimeter of the windshield..and I mean squeeky clean. Use a razor blade to remove all remnants of old sealant or rubber.
2. Windshield seals are coated with a light powder dust so wipe the sealing surfaces clean with a rag and alcohol. Let dry.
3. The windshield seal has a parting line. You can either center it at the top or bottom of the windshield. Your call. Personally, I like the parting line (seam) on the bottom.
4. Test fit the seal dry on the windshield ensuring that it is fully seated. Apply some masking tape perpendicular and across the seal to keep it indexed.
5. Now, remove one half of the seal but leave the other half on. This is to index the seal so it doesn't move in either direction. Presumably this is the side where it is not taped.
6. Cut the tip off the urethane sealant and inject a /14-inch bead in the bottom of the seal along the entire length that is loose, then install it on the windshield again ensuring that it is fully seated. You can apply some masking tape to ensure it is not pulled while doing the same procedure on the other, unglued half of the seal.

Ensure that there is a continuous bead along the entire perimeter because any gap can create a leak.

Personally, I like to apply masking tape 90-degrees to the seal to hold the seal in place ensuring it has full contact with the windshield's edge.

7. Set aside and allow to dry overnight.
8. Now prep the windshield opening by cleaning it thoroughly.

Day 2:
Okay. Now the seal is glued and cured to the windshield, right?
1. Insert the nylon cord inside the outer lip all the way around the windshield. Leave two, 12-inch lengths of cord after where the bit ends meet to form an "X". I prefer the "X" to be on top.

2. Grab your helper and center the windshield over the body opening. Spray the body opening and seal with soapy water and get the bottom of the windshield seal to seat over the body flange.

3. Now it is Judgement Day.....While your helper applies even pressure at the point where the lip will be persuaded over the body flange, pull one cord perpendicular to the seal, bending the seal over the body flange. Hold the other bit end securely to ensure the cord does not slide. If it is difficult to pull or hold, wrap the cord around a dowel or screwdriver handle to provide leverage.

Your helper must be careful not to apply too much pressure because the windshield can crack!!

4. Keep pulling the cord away from the seal and "cheat" the seal over the body flange along the entire perimeter of the windshield. You may find that pulling the cord in a circular motion can walk the seal over the flange.

That's the best I can do over the internet without being there myself. Be patient and good luck!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 254 Likes on 159 Posts
Outstanding writeup, HIO Silver. 78150custom, you need to give Silver positive site feedback for his efforts.