Sponsored by: Moser

replacing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing windshield

I have a 1976 F150. I am trying to remove the front windshield. I got the crome out and am having trouble with the rubber seal. I can't seem to get the windshield out without breaking it. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Old 10-27-2003, 03:43 PM
dfisher1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Randal,
If you've broken it, then you have found a way to get it out. If it's not broken yet, then let's get busy. Find a couple of large flat tip screwdrivers. Go inside the vehicle and start to tuck the rubber lip of the seal around the metal flange of the truck body. Work your way around. I usually start at the top and work my way around the both top corners and half way down. Once your that far, the windshield can be pushed out carefully. Make sure you've got a buddy to catch it. Some times they will pop right out.
KingFisher
PS Take off your winshield wipers. Be patient.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:01 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
If the seal is bad get a new one and cut the oll one out.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:05 PM
dfisher1
Posting Guru
All,
A bad seal is one that is cracking. Your windshield will usually be fogged if the seal is leaking. A stiff seal is reuseable but generally not a strong investment. I've actually soaked old seals in glycol and got some good immediate results. They will just dry out and rot after that though.
KingFisher

Old 10-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Be carefull not to scratch the paint when you are getting the windshield seal out, that starts rust.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:11 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
Considering the potential problems and hassle of a leaking windshield seal, I have always thought it very cost effective to replace the seal with every new windshield I have put in. It's a real PITB when the seal gets a little hole that gets big during a downpour. I had one give out in such a circumstance and it soaked the inner firewall. And guess what's on the firewall,,, that's right,, the fuse box Shorted the whole truck out. I now, not only use a brand new seal everytime but silicone the windshield in place completely. One problem I will never have again

Great point, Torque, forgot to mention that, while you have the seal off do any body repair you need to including any painting. I stopped using the crome trim on my windshields because they seemed to be holding water above the windshield and caused rotting in the cab. 3 out of my 4 trucks have had this problem.

Last edited by grapegravy; 10-27-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
I peel ALL the chrome strips off my trucks. Rust always seems to start under them.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:27 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
I've left the side trim pieces on for now, they will be leaving when I fabricate the new fenders. Not a big fan of chrome. My truck is a very dark green, almost black with black trim. The chrome just doesn't look right. The side trim chrome never seemed to cause too much damage. On the '73 I had it did, but that whole bed was shot to hell already when I got it. I had a '78 that I repainted. When I did this, I took off all the trim, of course. I was already aware, luckily, of this problem with the trim, so I used clear packing tape and "sealed" the back of the trim pieces so the water would flow right through and not get caught on that inner bottom lip. Have lots of moisture where I live and thus is a major concern of mine. My first truck leaked like a sieve. I swore then I would never get wet again driving down the road

Old 10-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Dark Green (using a 200/2001 Ford color) and black are the colors I will be painting mine. Great minds must just think alike -LOL!

Old 10-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the great advice about the trim as well as the windshield.
Sincerely: Randy

Old 10-27-2003, 05:04 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
That Ford factory dark green wasn't dark enough for me Had to get a custom mix. But yeah,, great minds,,, now only if we could come across a few,, hmmm

No problem at all, Randy, that's why we all come here, to share our experience and ideas. I always try to give out the little tips, tricks, and work-arounds that I have learned that arrest problems before they occur. Oddly enough,, I always have to learn things the hard way,, wonder why

Old 10-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru
I got the window out. It was real easy after I cut the inner lip off the seal. Should thought of that myself. No rust. Whew! Rear window has rusted out on both sides. not so bad that it can't be fixed
Thanks again!.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:25 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
No rust at all on the windshield frame mount??? WOW, that's as rare as an Elvis sighting, at least up north . Not even any surface? Make sure you get ALL of the rust when you clean up and repair the back frame. Even alittle bit will grow. Damn oxidation,, I tell ya, there should be laws against it

Old 10-28-2003, 07:10 AM
dfisher1
Posting Guru
All,
I actually saw Elvis in St. Augustine in 1994. All my trucks have rust in or around the windshield.
KingFisher

Old 10-28-2003, 09:15 AM
grapegravy
Elder User
Was Bigfoot riding shotgun, dfisher? The current one is the only truck I've had so far that hasn't had that rust, or any for that matter. Good thing about it coming from California.

Quick Reply: replacing windshield