1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stock rebuild vs van vs 38r turbo pros cons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
Where does one find a van turbo? Did you mod the van turbo at all or just bolt it in as-is?
i got mine used from Clay. you can get them all over. ppl are selling parts on ebay, CL, etc. a used one would/should require a rebuild and you need an exhaust adapter from Clay. rebuild about 90, adapter about 120, and van turbo 100-250. i really like mine. ppl say there is a "lag" in boost, but i cant notice it. it pulls like crazy. great upgrade, if not wanting to spend the cash on a 38r.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by brownie83
i got mine used from Clay. you can get them all over. ppl are selling parts on ebay, CL, etc. a used one would/should require a rebuild and you need an exhaust adapter from Clay. rebuild about 90, adapter about 120, and van turbo 100-250. i really like mine. ppl say there is a "lag" in boost, but i cant notice it. it pulls like crazy. great upgrade, if not wanting to spend the cash on a 38r.

Do you still have stock injectors?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
yes...for now. why do you ask?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
yes...for now. why do you ask?
For future reference for myself if my turbo ever takes a dump.
I still have the stock turbo and it spools right up, but the top end power above 2500 is kind of flat.
With 4.88 gears, it would be good to move the powerband up a little bit, but I don't want to bump it up so high that there's nothing on the bottom.
So I need to know if it's ok with stock injectors to go with a van turbo or a 38r without sacrificing bottom end.
If I ever had to make a choice, I'm still nervous about going clear to a 1.15 exhaust housing vs a 1.0 but if your truck pulls OK with a 1.15, then I know there is more room than I would have guessed.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
For future reference for myself if my turbo ever takes a dump.
I still have the stock turbo and it spools right up, but the top end power above 2500 is kind of flat.
With 4.88 gears, it would be good to move the powerband up a little bit, but I don't want to bump it up so high that there's nothing on the bottom.
So I need to know if it's ok with stock injectors to go with a van turbo or a 38r without sacrificing bottom end.
If I ever had to make a choice, I'm still nervous about going clear to a 1.15 exhaust housing vs a 1.0 but if your truck pulls OK with a 1.15, then I know there is more room than I would have guessed.
in stock mod, the truck is slow...but with tuning, even just a little, the truck comes alive. i actually "felt" more power at the low and high end than with my stock turbo. i read a lot about people saying its laggy, under powered, etc. after using it, i have no need currently for a 38r. i could save the money for something down the road. i think other than live tuning, it was the best mod choice i have made.

not sure about the gearing, so that may play a role in the decision. my truck pulls better now than ever before. it should be even better after the t500 install, im losing high pressure oil pressure when im on it really hard. wish you were closer so you could have a first hand impression. i got the recommendation for 2 other members that i have driven their trucks with the van. other than your rear gears, i would think you wont be disappointed with the van turbo.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:35 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mongo75
Hey Rich, if you remember I got the same injectors based on your rec, and they are gtreat sticks. I now run the van turbo w/ a stock wheel. Did you get a chance to dyno your truck with the Swamps and stock turbo, and then with the van turbo added, or did you do it all at the same time? Just trying to figure my numbers- I ran 320hp/704 tq with the stock e99 turbo and 15* HPOP, now it's all updated but need to dyno her now.

Sorry for the
Danny are you running a van turbo with e99 set up or late 99 set up ?

And as far as the statement of "Being that they're "bushing" bearings, the wear would be in those, and not the housing itself. Just a hypothesis statement" That Isn't true.
I had 89 Turbo Coupe with a bushing bearing turbo wear out the housing ( End Play ) and it made the housing JUNK !! And I was only running 22psi and it was the wrong set up on the car. The cause of that is a turbo with "bushing" bearings isn't rated but 25psi. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am not mistaken. And a ball bearing set can handle way more boost and higher rpms.

But I thought I read somewhere that you can't rebuild the ball bearing ones and the bushing bearings are rebuild cheap.

I myself have turbo issues and have to go with the stock e99 set up since I don't have 2g to go the late 99 set up. And if my turbo is rebuildable I wondering if I could go with the Riffraff Diesel: Garrett 1.0 A/R NON-Wastegated Exhaust Housing on a early99 turbo ?

And here is a question I have asked before and no one had an answer and I can find a answer in google either.
I want to check specs of max end play on turbo shaft with a dial indictor. Which could give a clue of if the bushings wore the housing ? Or how would I be able to tell of the shaft and housings were bad ?

Old 11-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
in stock mod, the truck is slow...but with tuning, even just a little, the truck comes alive. i actually "felt" more power at the low and high end than with my stock turbo. i read a lot about people saying its laggy, under powered, etc. after using it, i have no need currently for a 38r. i could save the money for something down the road. i think other than live tuning, it was the best mod choice i have made.

not sure about the gearing, so that may play a role in the decision. my truck pulls better now than ever before. it should be even better after the t500 install, im losing high pressure oil pressure when im on it really hard. wish you were closer so you could have a first hand impression. i got the recommendation for 2 other members that i have driven their trucks with the van. other than your rear gears, i would think you wont be disappointed with the van turbo.
With 4.88 rear axle the engine rpm is always high when going down the road, so I'm sure there's room with the 1.15 to build boost.
I'm still leaning toward the 1.0 if I ever have to rebuild the turbo.
Thanks for the feedback.