Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94' wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Rev. Scott
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94' wiper problem

I recently acquired a 1994 F-150 XLT. It has several things that need to be fixed - most of which I can do. The window motor gears were shot - a simple fix with replacement gears! A missing rear parking brake cable was missing - a MUST for a manual transmission - easily fixed! The next issue was with an airbag code of 32 - No horn, cruise control, etc which turned out to be the airbag clockspring. You should have seen the face of the parts person when I asked for an airbag clocksping. I replaced it and everything resumed back to normal.
So far so good.

Now my attention turned to the wipers which didn't seen to work either - I tested the dK green wire and got some voltage. i suspected the motor being the culprit - sure enough it was - the magnet came loose. So I replaced the motor. Now comes the FUN part - when I went to apply power and turn on the wipers noting happened! I check to see if the fuse was OK - it was. I heard the tell tale clicking by the glove box - the wiper control module. Since nothing was working I decided to open it up

What I found was one connector wire completely burned in half - evidently this was the power wire and at some point in its life it shorted. I did jump the connection and the wipers came one. i figured that it must have been the broken connection - so I soldered the gap and re installed the module. Now here is the problem:

the intermittent doesn't work, but the same speed in all setting except on high - where it actually does the high setting - the washer does not work (but i don't know if did in the first place) and the wipers won't turn off.

My dilemma is this: I have cleaned the contacts in the MFS ( pulled off the cap, unscrewed the screw and cleaned the contacts) Now I'm wondering, " Is the problem caused by the Control module - maybe another PC circuit in the wiper control module was fried - or do I have a defective switch?"

How can I tell?

Any input is welcome - thank you

Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My vote would go to the control module, since something caused it to burn a wire in two, who knows what else fried in the process.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev. Scott
I recently acquired a 1994 F-150 XLT. It has several things that need to be fixed - The next issue was with an airbag code of 32 - No horn, cruise control, etc which turned out to be the airbag clockspring. You should have seen the face of the parts person when I asked for an airbag clocksping. I replaced it and everything resumed back to normal.
So far so good.
I have a 1994 F150 XLT and the little yellow airbag and driver icon light up with a 32 code too. I don't have a horn, or cruise control either so I'm wondering if I have the same issue. How did you take the steering column/airbag apart to find out what the problem was? What did you do to prevent accidentally triggering the air bag? What did you look for? I'm pretty nervous about digging around near an airbag as they can cause some serious damage if triggered. Not fun!
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Rev. Scott
New User
Originally Posted by Ddaybc
I have a 1994 F150 XLT and the little yellow airbag and driver icon light up with a 32 code too. I don't have a horn, or cruise control either so I'm wondering if I have the same issue. How did you take the steering column/airbag apart to find out what the problem was? What did you do to prevent accidentally triggering the air bag? What did you look for? I'm pretty nervous about digging around near an airbag as they can cause some serious damage if triggered. Not fun!
Any help would be appreciated.
There are plenty of tutorials out there that will help you - I found a few on Youtube ( Ford clockspring replacement - YouTube ) plus there is a picture tutorial at the beginning of this section. be sure to watch how the person disarms the airbag in another video. Not a hard thing to do - but you must be cautious about airbags and heed every warning. if you feel any unceratinty about your skills - then leave this to a professional - you have been warned!

Now since that is out of the way,The main thing is to disconnect the battery (both positive and negative posts) and let the system "bleed down" for about 10 minutes, then disconnect the main airbag connections under the steering column before attempting to remove the airbag. there are four 10 mm nuts on the back of the steering wheel that will allow the airbag to be removed. I suggest that you not sit in the drivers seat to do loosen the nuts, but rather loosen them in a manner by which you are not exposed to the front of the airbag should it "accidently" deploy. Better safe than sorry. Once free - disconnect the airbag and place it face up in a safe secure location where no one will disturb it - preferably under the vehical itself as some would suggest.

Once the airbag is out of the way - pull the steering wheel and the clockspring is under it. took me about an hour to replace

Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Rev. Scott
New User
Kudo's to White 97 xlt - I went to the salvage yard today and picked up a used wiper motor control module and snapped it in place - voila everything works