6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

anyone have one of these? BakFlip

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM
wader250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have one of these? BakFlip

anyone have an opinion on this product or owned one? I was looking at the BakBox
BakFlip Tonneau Covers | Truck Bed Covers | Folding Tonneau Covers | BakFlip.com

I was thinking about when I carry fishing rods in the back of my truck a regular tonneau cover would break my rods and this would still allow for the rods to extend out the bed of the truck and not get broken.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

So... we finally get to see who "Mr. Bak Flip" is. He looks like I expected him to. Search the threads and you will find one of their salesmen doing a great job of irritating the crap out of us (he sent ads throughout the forum).

I did a lot of research on the tonneau covers, as did a lot of members here and you will find varying opinions on all of the major tonneau covers. I went with the DiamondBack. What I didn't like about the Bak Flip was that it would block visibility out of the rear window if you needed to use the whole bed.

Here is a picture on the DiamondBack on my truck:

Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Marauder. Very sweet, Do you know what that thing weighs.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Hdslider
Marauder. Very sweet, Do you know what that thing weighs.
Here is the link to the model I have: DiamondBack HD Truck Bed Covers - Details and specifications : DiamondBack Truck Covers

Looks like 125lbs. for the entire unit and 50 lbs. for each panel. The panels are removable by rotating them. When removed, there is a center panel that remains that is about a foot wide. That center piece has 4 clamps holding it to the truck rail. I can remove it in about 5 minutes, including the panels.

What I like about the HD model is that it can hold 1,600 lbs. on it. Comes in handy when I need to carry bulky things like lumber. I can put the lumber on top and strap it down and then fill the bed underneath with the rest of the project -- i.e. nails, etc.

People who buy it are usually looking at it for carrying their ATVs on top. Here is a picture with it open:

Old 08-26-2011, 05:39 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Marauder, if you don't mind me asking:

I have a toolbox mounted in the bed against the front wall at the cab. The toolbox sits down in the bed, about 1/2" below the top of the bed rails, and there is about 1/2" of clearance inside the bed rails when looking at the width.

It looks like your tonneau would not restrict me from opening my toolbox when the front portion is lifted like in your pic. You have any experience with that? Know what I mean? I would love to have that cover you've got.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 AM
HossF250
Freshman User
I do have the BAK Flip and love it! I also have the BAK Box and it is good to store stuff that you don't need on a regular basis as you have to open the cover all the way to get to the box. It is not 100% waterproof but very close. I carry all my fishing stuff and never worry about it getting stolen.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by ruschejj
Marauder, if you don't mind me asking:

I have a toolbox mounted in the bed against the front wall at the cab. The toolbox sits down in the bed, about 1/2" below the top of the bed rails, and there is about 1/2" of clearance inside the bed rails when looking at the width.

It looks like your tonneau would not restrict me from opening my toolbox when the front portion is lifted like in your pic. You have any experience with that? Know what I mean? I would love to have that cover you've got.
Ruschejj -- I think where you will run into trouble is with the locks. They hang down into the bed and slide under the rails to secure the cover. If I am mentally viewing your toolbox correctly, the toolbox will be in the way of the latching/locking mechanism. I think DiamondBack addressed the customer demand for toolboxes with their design that replaces the single cover with a dual cover that houses trays underneath it.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Marching Ant
Senior User
I have a BAKflip which has been installed for approximately one year. In brief I'll say that it is acceptable, but not outstanding. It hasn't bothered me enough to replace it, yet.

As someone else has already stated, it does not completely seal. At first I thought that the water was entering through the holes on the interior bed walls. So I covered those with duct tape. This didn't help. Next I added strips of adhesive backed foam (weather sealing) to both the rails which clamp to the bed and under the leading edge flap which sits on the front of the bed just below the rear window. This hasn't solved the issue either. I can't induce the leak when lying in the bed with a flashlight while running the garden hose on top, so I think that the truck must be in motion (the side flaps do lift a little at speed) or at an odd angle (turn induced sloshing in the 'gutters'?) in order for the problem to manifest. I might suspect the unsealed tailgate, but the leaks occur too far forward in the bed.

It is handy to be able to flip the cover in stages if the whole bed does not need to be exposed. It's also convenient to open it all the way up and load in your gear from front to back, closing the cover segment by segment as you progress (or when washing the roof of the truck). For hauling large items, it's very quick to flip the cover completely forward but this does 1) block your rear view/protect your rear window and 2) take up a few inches of bed space which I've needed from time to time (e.g., trying to close my stripper pole equipped tailgate with a queen size box spring loaded - nice truck, wanna help me move?). In these instances I can remove the cover (while leaving the rails installed) by myself in two minutes.

If I were to improve the design I would make it inch or so longer as I had to balance how much coverage I wanted on the front edge vs. the top of the tailgate and I would equip all three of the joints with catches. As it is, the 'hinge' closest to the cab does not engage the rail and will lift/float with applied force or when at speed. I'd also figure out why it leaks and fix that.

Finally, for what it's worth, I did not notice an improvement in fuel economy after installing it (thus supporting the open box air bubble theory) but there were too many other variables at play during this time for these results to be conclusive.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions in the unlikely event that they weren't addressed above .

MA

Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I too have the Diamondback cover. I bought it for all the reasons Maurader did and it is more water tight than anything else I've tried or seen. I have an underbed tool box that works but It isnt full depth, so I was able to lower it enough to clear the locking mechanism. I cant find it on their site, but I know Diamondback makes, or will make, a crossover box that sits behind the cab and does not have a top, so no interference. I plan to replace mine with the Diamondback soon.

Attached Images    
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Take a look at my gallery - I have many pictures of the backflip - that was made specifically for the toolbox access..

Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I have the Baklip HD. Its nice but needs improvements.Your spot on latch improvements needed. Mine is fine on length. plenty of adjustment.I made little elbows instead of the crappy draintube idea.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 AM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Here is the link to the gallery.

2011 Ford F250 4x4 - BAK-Flip and Box

It give me plenty of room, and I have had no issues. Works great - No complaints. - Mine was custom cut on length - as the back board was too wide for the toolbox unmodified.