1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:44 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Yeah, that's my plan for January 1, 2014. A long, bouncy, noisy ride. This time I'll remember to take my phone charger so I can listen to the music and watch the GPS speedo.

I found that with the 5.14:1 gears, it's best to shift from 2nd to 3rd between 6 and 10 mph. So, that's just barely moving... And though I've had her up to 45mph, she sounds happiest about 35 in 4th gear. No tach, so I have no idea what the RPM is.

Go here or to any of the online gear calculators. Just fill in your numbers.

PowerBlock Resource List - Engine RPM Calculator | Engine Blueprint | Transmission Ratios

Old 01-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by vintage tin
HAPPY NEW YEAR joe
on my 50 merc,the clutch spring is hooked on to my steering box.on the engine side of the box it looks like there is a little ****/pin on the top bolt for the cover and the spring is hooked on that.
if you need a pic let me know.
Thanks Roy. According to the information in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-location.html, I have the clutch spring hooked in the right place. There's a pin on the pedal linkage for the front hook, and a hole in the master cylinder frame for the other end.

It's my brake pedal spring that I'm asking about. It also has a pin on the pedal linkage for the rear hook and goes forward to hook on something. I saw pics in the above thread showing a hole in the flywheel cover for hooking the front of that spring. But I didn't see that hole on my truck.

Here's the pic of the brake pedal return spring compliments of 51fred (thanks Rich):

And the closeup:

My flywheel housing doesn't have a hole there.

And here's a couple of pics from Ilya, 51PanelMan showing the clutch return spring placement.

I copied all these pics into my build thread so I don't have to search for them again...

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Joe, congrats on getting her back on the road!
Six cylinders sound like they are screaming even if they aren't. I bet if you had a tach, you would be surprised. A quiet muffler helps a ton as well.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
[/b]
Go here or to any of the online gear calculators. Just fill in your numbers.

PowerBlock Resource List - Engine RPM Calculator | Engine Blueprint | Transmission Ratios

Thanks Ray. I have looked at a couple of these online calculators. The one you show here gives me 2,700 RPM at 50 mph with my 5.14 gears and 32" high rear tires.

This one Engine RPM Calculator using the same numbers shows 2,771 RPM at 50 mph.

I think I read something from Ross about cruising all day at 3,000 RPM with a flathead V8 on his way to Truckstock 2013. (I'll have to revisit that thread) But maybe I'm dreaming that up. Betsy really sounds like she's straining at 45 mph, but that would be around 2,430 to 2,500 RPM according to these two calculators.

What do you think a "safe" continuous highway RPM is for a flathead 6? Anyone?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
What I said was that people think 3,000 RPM is terrible for a flathead, but there is no real damage other than extra wear. They have much less valve train than even most OHC engines. I drove to TS at 2300 - 2400, a self-imposed limit that put me at about a calculated 58 mph, but which I confirmed was an actual 62 mph. My speedo and odo are way off and don't even agree with each other. 2300 - 2400 is right around the torque peak.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
What I said was that people think 3,000 RPM is terrible for a flathead, but there is no real damage other than extra wear. They have much less valve train than even most OHC engines. I drove to TS at 2300 - 2400, a self-imposed limit that put me at about a calculated 58 mph, but which I confirmed was an actual 62 mph. My speedo and odo are way off and don't even agree with each other. 2300 - 2400 is right around the torque peak.
Thanks Ross. I just found your post about the trip to Truckstock 2013. "I was running all day at 2350 RPM, which is 55-60. It really "likes" to run there, and beyond, and has plenty of power for normal hills." So I read your comment about 3,000 RPM somewhere else.

So with my stock 5.14 gears, I should probably not plan an extended drive faster than 45 mph. Don't think that's going to get me to a Truckstock... Maybe I should start looking for a Dana 70 out of a 1970s era Dodge RM400 based motor home... Probably really easy to find! (just kidding, Stu)

Old 01-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tinman52
Joe, congrats on getting her back on the road!
Six cylinders sound like they are screaming even if they aren't. I bet if you had a tach, you would be surprised. A quiet muffler helps a ton as well.
Thanks Scott.

Well, that may be part of the problem. There's no sound dampener, seals, fender welts, floor mat, etc... in Betsy. She is one giant sound board, and every squeak, moan, groan and road noise is amplified. So, add the engine whine and exhaust noise to that, and you have to practically yell to be heard while she's doing 40 mph.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
You have to be careful with gearing. I don't think my setup and cruising RPM are necessarily what you need. Your truck easily weighs 700 - 900 lbs more than mine, and sits higher, which adds wind resistance. You have a little more flexibility with the 4-sp, but the reality is your 3rd gear is about the same as my 2nd. If you gear down too much, your foot has to be into the gas more and you risk getting the power valve open on every little hill, then your gas mileage goes to hell. If you really want to cruise at 65 and get decent mileage and power, see Ray's F-4....

Old 01-01-2014, 10:44 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Thanks Scott.

Well, that may be part of the problem. There's no sound dampener, seals, fender welts, floor mat, etc... in Betsy. She is one giant sound board, and every squeak, moan, groan and road noise is amplified. So, add the engine whine and exhaust noise to that, and you have to practically yell to be heard while she's doing 40 mph.
I'm in the same boat, nothing but a bare cab and 2 rubber floor mats. When I'm running down the interstate I can't even hear my MP3 playing with my earphones in....LOL

....someday.....

I have 2.75 gears and I love them but I doubt they'd be a decent choice for your big F4 with a stock flat 6.

Bobby

Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You have to be careful with gearing. I don't think my setup and cruising RPM are necessarily what you need. Your truck easily weighs 700 - 900 lbs more than mine, and sits higher, which adds wind resistance. You have a little more flexibility with the 4-sp, but the reality is your 3rd gear is about the same as my 2nd. If you gear down too much, your foot has to be into the gas more and you risk getting the power valve open on every little hill, then your gas mileage goes to hell. If you really want to cruise at 65 and get decent mileage and power, see Ray's F-4....
I seriously doubt I'll ever do anything to change the gears in Betsy. She's a farm truck and was never meant to go fast, but to haul a heavy load. If I want highway speeds, I guess I'll have to get a different truck.

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I'm in the same boat, nothing but a bare cab and 2 rubber floor mats. When I'm running down the interstate I can't even hear my MP3 playing with my earphones in....LOL

....someday.....

I have 2.75 gears and I love them but I doubt they'd be a decent choice for your big F4 with a stock flat 6.

Bobby
I'm just really happy to start off 2014 driving Betsy again. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving in a few minutes to take her on the longest drive to date. And being the blabbermouth I am, you'll all be seeing a report on that drive later today.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM
vintage tin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry joe,
it is my brake spring that goes to the box,i just had a look and it looks like the top bolt on the cover is maybe 1 inch to long with a jam nut at the plate and the spring is hooked the the remaining bolt that sticks out.
there is a lot of crap and crud down there but best l can tell thats what it looks like.i do have to say the spring does look a little stretched out,but it seem to work fine.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by vintage tin
sorry joe,
it is my brake spring that goes to the box,i just had a look and it looks like the top bolt on the cover is maybe 1 inch to long with a jam nut at the plate and the spring is hooked the the remaining bolt that sticks out.
there is a lot of crap and crud down there but best l can tell thats what it looks like.i do have to say the spring does look a little stretched out,but it seem to work fine.
OK, thanks Roy. I'll figure something out when I get the new spring.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Joe,

What in the world are you doing sitting inside on the computer? You should be out driving Betsy with a huge grin on your face!

Now, step away from the computer and get out there and go for a drive!

Have fun
Bobby

Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
So with my stock 5.14 gears, I should probably not plan an extended drive faster than 45 mph. Don't think that's going to get me to a Truckstock... Maybe I should start looking for a Dana 70 out of a 1970s era Dodge RM400 based motor home... Probably really easy to find! (just kidding, Stu)
Congrats on getting her on the road. I had to think my way around that captive parking brake spring too.

A big part of your road speed issue is the fact of having the 225/70R19.5s on the rear. Your tires are 32" while your stock 7.00 x 18s and your front 8R19.5s are about 34". Watch CL and I bet you can find some nice used 8R19.5s for the rear.

Finding a D70 out of a Dodge 400/500 based motor home wouldn't be hard, but finding one close might be hard. The yard I work with in Portland could pull you one, but shipping would be the costly part.

And last, here is a pic of the brake spring hole on my 215. Stu

Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truckdog62563

And last, here is a pic of the brake spring hole on my 215. Stu

Hey Stu,

That is one clean engine/transmission . NICE.
That is where my brake pedal return spring hooks up also, right on the bell housing.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project