1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Joe, I hate to say it, but I don't think that reverse gear looks any different than any truck with 50k miles on it. I can't see how it would cause a locking-up action. Are entire teeth missing? It looks to me like just the leading edges are chipped off. Mine had a needle bearing get between the idler and the mainshaft gear, you can see typical damage below. One of the idler gear teeth was half gone (not visible). It actually made more noise with new gears than with the chipped up ones. Never locked up or gave me a problem. Don't get fixated on that being all that's wrong!!
Ross, I agree with you 100%. I found the chipped teeth in the fluid when I drained it, then the gear with the chips missing, and ordered the gear.

But I think you're the one who commented in my other post about tranny lock up problems that it might be the reverse gear moving forward when I come to a stop.

Now that was the original problem I had, but I pulled the tranny because the last time I drove the truck, as I was moving it into the garage, it REALLY locked up, like I had run into a chock or something. That may be the reverse idler moving forward, but I don't think so because I was going uphill in 1st gear up the driveway.

I have questions about the way the shifter controls that reverse idler gear cluster. The reverse idler shifter fork moves the reverse idler gear forward to engage. From what I can see in this transmission, the position of that shifter fork is controlled by the flats on the reverse shifter shaft.

I don't understand how this works ( had a hell of a time trying to get it back into neutral position after I removed it from the tranny).

If these flats on this reverse shifter shaft are allowing the reverse idler gear to move forward when I'm in a forward gear, how can it be in the right position to actually move the shifter into reverse?

I don't even know if that makes sense.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Call around and see if you have a radiator shop that will put it in their tank.
I'm too cheap to let someone else clean it.

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Joe,
Nice job on documenting what you have going. Thanks for taking the time to do that, I'm sure it will help somebody in the future.

A shop crane/engine hoist is a great thing to have. The problem is they take up so much room. I have one similar to yours, and even with the fold up legs they take up a good amount of floor that I could use to store other junk in.....lol. I've been contemplating removing the boom from the base and maybe hanging it flat on the wall.

As far as cleaning up the tranny case. I think I'd start with a local machine shop. They will typically run your parts through the cleaner for a few bucks.

Good luck
Bobby
Thanks Bobby. I'm too cheap to let someone else clean it.

Originally Posted by old_dan
You'd be surprised how much grime you can get off with easy-off oven cleaner. If you have a pressure washer...even better! Wear goggles!

Dan
OK, going to get some oven cleaner tonight.

Originally Posted by tinman52
x2 on the oven cleaner.....I get it at the dollar store. Any kind of solvent will soften up the grease before pressure washing.

I've been cleaning parts for days it seems........Engine, trans and assorted parts for my COE..... I hate trying to work with greasy parts.
OK, going to get some oven cleaner tonight.

Originally Posted by Marauder2004
Joe, as I've said before, you are providing a great lesson here for those of us following behind you. I read your restoration experience with anticipation that I might reach this point some day. You are doing s great job on your truck! Keep up the good work and keep the inspiration going for those of us watching your journey!
My next milestone is to have my truck stop on its own without having to rely on that band brake or a friend throwing a cinder block in front of the wheel!!
And I'll say again, you're too kind. But I hope my ramblings will help someone else who, like me, is new to all this stuff. And brakes are the best thing to do after you get it to move!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 617 Likes on 383 Posts
It is possible for the fork to be on one side of the groove in the gear that it is supposed to be sitting in. I'm not familiar enough with the crashboxes to say if you can actually do that and have a functioning gearbox.

The shifter detent assembly (spring-loaded ***** both vertically and horizontally) should prevent being in two gears at once. So they will also prevent moving one rail while another rail is in "gear".

Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Super Clean works well from Autozone.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Super Clean works well from Autozone.
I just bought some Easy Off from Walmart. I'll see how well it works tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work Joe. I didn't think you could remove it through the top. I wonder how much bigger the tranny is on the F7-8 then the F1's and how much more it weighs? Great pics.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Old 11-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Nice work Joe. I didn't think you could remove it through the top. I wonder how much bigger the tranny is on the F7-8 then the F1's and how much more it weighs? Great pics.

I was very surprised by the top removal also!

Old 11-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol

Originally Posted by Marauder2004
I was very surprised by the top removal also!
The Shop Manual is very specific about removing the 3 speed and 4 speed standard transmission as well as the 4 speed synchro up through the floor opening. Instructions for the 4 speed standard removal are on page 147. There's two short paragraphs explaining the procedure.

Apparently, the only one that drops out the bottom is the 5 speed.

I too questioned this long before I started this phase of the project. Now that I've done it, I see that the crossmember is in the way for removal out the bottom.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I have questions about the way the shifter controls that reverse idler gear cluster. The reverse idler shifter fork moves the reverse idler gear forward to engage. From what I can see in this transmission, the position of that shifter fork is controlled by the flats on the reverse shifter shaft.

I don't understand how this works ( had a hell of a time trying to get it back into neutral position after I removed it from the tranny).

If these flats on this reverse shifter shaft are allowing the reverse idler gear to move forward when I'm in a forward gear, how can it be in the right position to actually move the shifter into reverse?
You are correct, the flats on the reverse shaft engage the arm and move the reverse gear. If your shaft, arm, or the detent parts in the top are worn out you can get gears engaging at the wrong time. Your transmission will lock up if any two gears engage at the same time. I'd take the top apart, clean, inspect, and grease all your shifter parts. Post pictures of the parts as they come apart and we can tell you if any are worn out or look wrong.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
You are correct, the flats on the reverse shaft engage the arm and move the reverse gear. If your shaft, arm, or the detent parts in the top are worn out you can get gears engaging at the wrong time. Your transmission will lock up if any two gears engage at the same time. I'd take the top apart, clean, inspect, and grease all your shifter parts. Post pictures of the parts as they come apart and we can tell you if any are worn out or look wrong.
OK, I'll do just that. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Another dumb question...

I have the transmission out and supported with wood blocks under the clutch housing and main shaft bearing retainer (ears), thinking this would give me a well-supported case to disassemble the transmission.

Now I see I will have to remove the park brake drum assembly and the clutch housing to disassemble the transmission.

For anyone who has replaced gears, can this best be done with the transmission on its side?

Old 11-29-2013, 01:45 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll need to get the castelated (sp?) nut off. That's easiest when bolted up to the engine. Now that it's out, lock it by placing it in two gears at once. This seizes the shaft up plenty. I put the T-98 on a piece of plywood on its shifter cover surface so it had a really secure flat to help keep the whole thing from rolling. Then, unless you have a hefty impact driver, get a breaker bar and arrange it so that you can strike straight down on the breaker bar. Then pound away. It is a right-hand thread and should free up (cotter pin alert). If not, a little bit of heat wouldn't hurt (you're changing the seal and bearing anyway). Just don't take it past 2-300 F and you won't change the temper. It was factory torqued to ninety Lb*Ft or so.

As for positioning it for rebuild - I had mine every which way. I put it on wood to cushion it.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Thanks Jeremy.

I had to get a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter for my 1 1/2" socket (don't know why I had that socket with no way to drive it!).

Once I got the park brake off the drum, I saw how bad shape it's in. That will be something else to replace... I remember seeing that done a couple of years ago in Earl's World. Better go back and reread it.

I didn't think the park brake shoe was bad from this view.

But it's worn unevenly down to the rivets in one area. I think it was adjusted wrong because the spring on the anchor adjusting screw is broken in half.

I guess it was working because the rivets were digging into the drum. And the rust probably helped it hold too.

But I cleaned up the drum surface and will finish refurbing the whole park brake set-up when I'm done with the tranny.

Can anyone tell from looking at this pic if the throwout bearing is OK? I don't know what a new one looks like...

Anyway, this is how the tranny cleaned up for paint with the oven cleaner and some elbow grease. Thanks again for that tip (all of you).

Yes, I thought the transmissions were red, so I painted that PTO cover red when I pulled it off months ago. But the whole transmission will be flat black before it goes back in.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 617 Likes on 383 Posts
Test the release bearing by spinning it, see that it spins freely, hopefully with some drag from grease. Ah hell, just replace it. Want to pull the trans later to do it? Didn't think so. The bearing comes off its hub with some tapping.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Test the release bearing by spinning it, see that it spins freely, hopefully with some drag from grease. Ah hell, just replace it. Want to pull the trans later to do it? Didn't think so. The bearing comes off its hub with some tapping.
Yes, it spins just fine. But I have always had a "sound" in neutral with the engine running when I let the clutch out. The sound goes away when I push in the clutch. Thought it might be that bearing...

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project