1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
OK, here we go!

My park brake lining from McMaster-Carr arrived at 3:00 this afternoon, so I got to work on it.

I read Earl's World section on his relining the park brake several times. I don't have some of the tools he used. But I decided to try to make what I needed to get the job done.

First thing was something to hold the rivets in place while spreading the ends. I found I could use my bench vise to hold the tool and reach all the holes in the brake band. That's a plus. In Earl's World, he used a cut off 5/16" drill bit. I only have one 5/16" bit and was not about to destroy it for this task.

But I have 5 3/8" socket extensions, and this one is a cheap import. So, off with its head!

I used my bench grinder to reduce the size to the needed 5/16". I don't own a metal lathe, and this was no precision job. But it worked.

It fit the countersunk holes and rivet heads perfectly.

Test fit for measuring the depth needed in the liner countersunk holes.

Here's the new liner material. I ordered 3 feet because I needed 24 5/8" and I wanted to practice...

I cut it to length and slapped it on the drum to check the fit.

Here's my set up for drilling the rivet holes. Notice the test piece in the background.

And here's the drilled liner.

And the assembled band/liner.

I'm sure a pro could have done a better job, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I should never have to do it again for Betsy.

I put it back on the tranny to make sure it works.

Looks a little different from a few weeks ago...

I'm going to attempt getting the truck drivable tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makin' it look easy!

Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Looks good, Joe! Are you going to trim the band where it overhangs the steel ring? Seems like it will just break off there.

Is there any chance your "locking up" was just the brake grabbing due to the broken spring?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Looks good, Joe! Are you going to trim the band where it overhangs the steel ring? Seems like it will just break off there.

Is there any chance your "locking up" was just the brake grabbing due to the broken spring?
As it wears, you may need it trimmed back a little to allow room for it to cinch up real good. I never thunked about it grabbing. Doesn't seem likely. Rubbing, yes. Grabbing, I don't see how.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Makin' it look easy!
Thanks Jeremy.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1

Actually, that's the way the original liner was... overhanging like that. And I cut it exactly to the length spec'd in the manual. The ends will never touch, and I don't know why they are meant to overhang.

I wondered about the brake binding too, and it may have been. But when it was released, I never felt any drag or heard any noise. And there was so much of it worn away, I'm surprised it even worked. Like I said before, I think it worked when engaged because the rivets were hitting the drum. I spent more time today polishing that drum.

Originally Posted by The Horvaths
As it wears, you may need it trimmed back a little to allow room for it to cinch up real good. I never thunked about it grabbing. Doesn't seem likely. Rubbing, yes. Grabbing, I don't see how.
The ends will never interfere with the operation of the brake. It will not close that far even with no liner in it. The band diameter is smaller than the drum.

But guys, I really don't know what was causing my various problems. But after all the parts I've replaced, I'd really just like to drive her for a while. Know what I mean?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
Look'in good! You used a more elegant procedure to remove the last stubborn u-joint than I do. I take a cutting torch and cut the center out of the u-joint.

Looking forward to pictures of everything assembled again.
I missed your post earlier. Sorry.

I don't have a torch or a welder yet. Someday after I retire...

I hope to have Betsy back together tomorrow.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Smile

Drive on!
Onward through the fog!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Sure makes you feel good after fighting it all and repairing the thing to what looks like a professional job.
Great work!
Tractorman Bill

Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Joe, you are saving me a lot of time. It will still take me 4 times as long as it should though.
What did you use to set the rivets? Did you use the brad bit for the counter sink?

Great work!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tractormanbill
Sure makes you feel good after fighting it all and repairing the thing to what looks like a professional job.
Great work!
Tractorman Bill
Thanks Bill. I'm pleased with the results. But it's still outside the truck, so time will tell if it was done right.

Originally Posted by Harrier
Joe, you are saving me a lot of time. It will still take me 4 times as long as it should though.
What did you use to set the rivets? Did you use the brad bit for the counter sink?

Great work!
Thanks Joe,

I used the suggestion from Earl's World about rounding the tip on one of my 2 punches to set the rivets.

I don't own a brad bit, but it would have made nicer countersinks. I used a regular bit and controlled the depth on my drill press. I shaped my 5/16" bit to be more flat than normal, but a brad bit would have made them flat.

I also drilled the pilot holes first, unlike in Earl's World. I think I had a better chance of putting the holes in the right spots that way. But using a brad bit would give you a small point to easily center the rivet hole. Mine are certainly not perfect, but it worked.

Good luck with yours!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Very cool

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the install goes smooth and you're up and running soon

Merry Christmas
Bobby

Old 12-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Well, it's Christmas Eve. I got the transmission back in the truck and got the drive shafts mounted.

I had a real problem getting the tranny to line up. I fought with it for over two hours. I finally realized the floor jack I had supporting the back of the engine had dropped over the past several weeks that it's been in that position. Once I raised it back up, the tranny slid right in...

Here's how it looks installed. I didn't take any other pics today.

All I have left to do is adjust the clutch, install the tranny cover and the seat. But the clutch arm linkage is rusted so I can't move the adjuster. I soaked it, but I'm done for today. We have folks coming over for dinner.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey if ya leave the tranny floor cover off ya could,
"Watch the Earth Move Under Your Feet". Now that song
along with Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer is runnin through me head.

Rudolf, Adolf. Both had red noses. What's up with that?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:22 PM
eb4strom
Junior User
Hey Joe,
Tranny looks great, hope you get to drive the old girl for Christmas.
Funny thing, your "before" picture, and my current tranny look identical. Gotta love these old trucks and the 60+ years worth of crud buildup.
Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by eb4strom
Hey Joe,
Tranny looks great, hope you get to drive the old girl for Christmas.
Funny thing, your "before" picture, and my current tranny look identical. Gotta love these old trucks and the 60+ years worth of crud buildup.
Merry Christmas.
Thanks Eric. Yeah, I just had to include the before with the after. Doesn't have quite the same shape!

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project