1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The ignition switch is now fixed in position.

I pulled off both horns and cleaned them up / painted them and reinstalled them with new hardware, making sure I had a good ground. When I tried to loosen the screws on the big one, I disrupted the ground, which is why it didn't work after I replaced the wiring.

I couldn't stand the way they looked any longer, so I spent a large portion of the day working on horns.

And here's the final product with new wires and fresh paint. They sound great!

I also painted my grille Argent Silver, but didn't get pics today. I'll post them tomorrow.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by speedyweasel
Bright idea. (I know... Boooooo)

That dome looks a lot better. Wait til you install a headliner.
Yes we were talking about that last night. All the headliner kits I've seen are for 48 - 50 but can be made to fit a 51 - 52 if cut to fit around the larger rear window. However, I've never seen one with 2 holes for the dome lamp and switch. I don't know if anyone sells them.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Vacation's over... time to rest.

Today I got the grille assembled and reinstalled. New headlights are on order, since one is kaput and I want them to match.

I also cleaned up the window divider bars and gave them a coat of Argent Silver, since they are supposed to be stainless...

Then I wired up the turn signals and added them to the frame.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betsy is looking good JOE. I designing my log cabin and have negleted my old truck. I did fire it up today for my mama then she asked me was it running ? LOL

Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
Betsy is looking good JOE. I designing my log cabin and have negleted my old truck. I did fire it up today for my mama then she asked me was it running ? LOL
Thanks. I like the look, and I found argent silver under the ugly dark brown when I was sanding it down.

LMAO. Is your Mama hard of hearing, or is your truck that quiet?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
quite ain't the word joe. My mom is 80 BUT SHE IS SHARP AS A TACK. I guess she said that cause every thing i build she can hear from her house. My 17 year old babygirl had 8 of her friends at the house to day and they all wanted to go to the movies. But they only had 34 dollars so i had 9 teenagers cleaning my house and both my 51's and my mustang.It costed me 100 dollars plus 40 for gas [two cars] and i had to cook burgers on the grill. Man it was a nice day down here in fl. today. My old black lab [BLUEDOG ] got more loving then a new born baby. LOL When Haley showed them OLD YELLER in Truebook FORD Trucks magizane they all wanted to go for a ride. So my girl was a rock star today. Call me crazy but i let all of them drive it. They had to leave me there cell phone to be able to drive it. I MADE A GROUP OF TEENAGERS FORD LOVERS TODAY. LOL

Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Yes we were talking about that last night. All the headliner kits I've seen are for 48 - 50 but can be made to fit a 51 - 52 if cut to fit around the larger rear window. However, I've never seen one with 2 holes for the dome lamp and switch. I don't know if anyone sells them.
For the headliner kits, that's all there is. You have to cut the dome light holes in yourself and trim the window opening as necessary. It's the aftermarket way of being cheap and lazy and creating a one-size-almost-fits-all product. The part that really aggravates me is that the ad descriptions claim they are made as-original, and that is not true.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What brand of argent silver did you use? What's the paint number for the color?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
quite ain't the word joe. My mom is 80 BUT SHE IS SHARP AS A TACK. I guess she said that cause every thing i build she can hear from her house. My 17 year old babygirl had 8 of her friends at the house to day and they all wanted to go to the movies. But they only had 34 dollars so i had 9 teenagers cleaning my house and both my 51's and my mustang.It costed me 100 dollars plus 40 for gas [two cars] and i had to cook burgers on the grill. Man it was a nice day down here in fl. today. My old black lab [BLUEDOG ] got more loving then a new born baby. LOL When Haley showed them OLD YELLER in Truebook FORD Trucks magizane they all wanted to go for a ride. So my girl was a rock star today. Call me crazy but i let all of them drive it. They had to leave me there cell phone to be able to drive it. I MADE A GROUP OF TEENAGERS FORD LOVERS TODAY. LOL
Wow Dale letting teens drive your truck? That's crazy man! LOL
I will be down next weekend! (kidding) How ya holding up? I read earlier you were having some pain.

Joe Great Progress! Looks great!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 AM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
i'm healing up jeff. thanks for asking.Havn't been able to wear my leg . I got my golfcart to get around the yard and a padded bucket to sit on [dovebucket] so i can still do what i can sitting on the bucket. When there a will theirs away. lol

Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 AM
jay54f100
Senior User
Nice work keep it up.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
That front end is looks great.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Consider this question doubly asked now

Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I found it in a Google search for "Amazon Ford Argent Silver". It's VHT-SP188. And it says "Ford Argent Silver on the cap.

Amazon.com: VHT SP188 Ford Argent Silver Wheel Paint Can - 11 oz.: Automotive

I needed 2 cans to put 3 coats on the grille. One was not quite enough, for 3 coats, but would have worked for 2 coats.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by brain75
Consider this question doubly asked now
I found it in a Google search for "Amazon Ford Argent Silver". It's VHT-SP188. And it says "Ford Argent Silver on the cap.

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP188-Arge.../dp/B000CPJLLW

I needed 2 cans to put 3 coats on the grille. One was not quite enough, for 3 coats, but would have worked for 2 coats.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project