1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wobble cure? - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
Hey! Rancho just posted your video on their facebook page!!

Rancho Suspension | Facebook
HA!

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Woohoo! The video hit the big time! Now more people will email me to tell me to clean up my garage...
Ha! Ha! It is a great video for sure. It shows the ease of installing shocks, and stabilizer. I loved the ingenuity of using the wrench for the space on installing the SS as well. And doughnuts? Come on! win! win!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 AM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epic -

So the dual SS kit. You think that was the ticket? Is the shock upgrade necessary? Geez, I thought they rode pretty nice on my test drives. Lots of upgrades to do. At least I'll have 10 months to get it dialed in before a Rocky Mountain Road Trip with the family...

Thanks,

Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 AM
mountie
Senior User
That was a great idea. I'm gonna install a set after I do my levelling kit.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 AM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Thought I saw one place on the google list for $110 shipped, but the corrected for my location and it disappeared. Enginuity auto parts I think was the vendor. How much for the Bisteins ? Anyone? They ve got good stuff too don't they?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MNDiesel2
Epic -

So the dual SS kit. You think that was the ticket? Is the shock upgrade necessary? Geez, I thought they rode pretty nice on my test drives. Lots of upgrades to do. At least I'll have 10 months to get it dialed in before a Rocky Mountain Road Trip with the family...

Thanks,
Yes, I think both were necessary. Mostly due to my much larger tires. That's just a lot of mass to control and the OEM shocks just aren't up to the task. This is one of those optional things. If you're happy with the way the truck works stock, then there's no need to change a thing. If you're not, then at least we have a good solution.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
i just installed my Dual Stabilizer. A 12 gauge shotgun shell was my spacer - gives a little more clearance than the wrench (so the boots don't rub so bad). Took the truck to the infamous "death wobble" testing grounds and it definitely helped, but did not cure. I would say it reduced the DW to about 1/2 of what it was.

All is good!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 AM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great video for sure. I think I'm going to see what Fabtech has. The reason for that is, that's who made my lift.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
HA!

Ha! Ha! It is a great video for sure. It shows the ease of installing shocks, and stabilizer. I loved the ingenuity of using the wrench for the space on installing the SS as well. And doughnuts? Come on! win! win!
I have had my Rancho Dual Stabilizer kit on my 2011 F-350 now for about a year. I have a great place to test how well this works here in Denver. East bound C-470 to I-25 North. It is a elevated LH fly over with a pretty "aggressive" expansion joint. I went over it today and and almost lost control of the vehicle at the posted speed limit. Could it be that my shocks are shot after 1 year like my OEM shocks were? What else are guys using to fix this problem? I put Bilstein's on about 6 months after i owned it as the OEM shocks were shot. I may have to look into one of their stabilizers. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Are you guys of the opinion that the steering stabilizer matters more, or the vertically oriented shocks matter more to the steering vibrations?

I ask because most folks seem to be doing the whole set up at the same time.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Brandon Bloomquist
Are you guys of the opinion that the steering stabilizer matters more, or the vertically oriented shocks matter more to the steering vibrations?

I ask because most folks seem to be doing the whole set up at the same time.
If I had to guess, I'd say the stabilizers control most of the side-to-side motion. The shocks control the up and down and likely have a small effect on the wobble. All together they do a good job of dampening unwanted motion.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
i just installed my Dual Stabilizer. A 12 gauge shotgun shell was my spacer - gives a little more clearance than the wrench (so the boots don't rub so bad). Took the truck to the infamous "death wobble" testing grounds and it definitely helped, but did not cure. I would say it reduced the DW to about 1/2 of what it was.

All is good!
I just pulled my Rancho DS off and pitched it in the trash. 9 months old and the death wobble was back. Lifetime warranty? Yes, but didn't want the hassle of a lifetime of returns

Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Well done on the video.

Are you a cop?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by redford
Well done on the video.

Are you a cop?
Cop? No but my teenagers have accused me of running our home like a police state once or twice. You know, rules, curfews, etc.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A while back on this site I saw some lab R&D testing where they put the shocks and stabilizers (I think) under durability testing. The shocks were mounted in a device which simulated road action. I didn't watch each video clip (there was about 6 on one page). From what I saw the rubber bushings were a trouble spot. Especially after many cycles. Even if the shock was good the durometer on the rubber was too soft allowing enough instability that the dampening effect of the shock was compromised. Especially at the end of the durability run. They were really soft then. I wonder what the results would be if Polyurethane or solid impregnated bushings were installed??? With the Rancho or like the Bilsteins I have Ill bet it would virtually eliminate any remaining deflection left after junking the OEMs. Any one tried that yet?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
A while back on this site I saw some lab R&D testing where they put the shocks and stabilizers (I think) under durability testing. The shocks were mounted in a device which simulated road action. I didn't watch each video clip (there was about 6 on one page). From what I saw the rubber bushings were a trouble spot. Especially after many cycles. Even if the shock was good the durometer on the rubber was too soft allowing enough instability that the dampening effect of the shock was compromised. Especially at the end of the durability run. They were really soft then. I wonder what the results would be if Polyurethane or solid impregnated bushings were installed??? With the Rancho or like the Bilsteins I have Ill bet it would virtually eliminate any remaining deflection left after junking the OEMs. Any one tried that yet?
It's definitely worth a look. The rubber at the bolt ends is indeed very soft. I'm going to take a look at mine and see how they have fared over the last couple of years.