Sponsored by:

EBC Yellowstuff pads - 1000mi report

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:31 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
EBC Yellowstuff pads - 1000mi report

I've had EBC Greenstuff pads up front for at least 40k miles and the rear pads were 'premium' over the counter stuff from NAPA. The Greenstuff pads were a MAJOR improvement over the NAPA pads I replaced back then. I did not turn rotors for that pad change and they were not warped after running the Greenstuff - even after a caliper locked up and nearly caused a fire!! I've actually been running those pads for the last 15k+ after replacing the caliper(s) - no problems, but now that I'm towing 13k lb Toy Hauler I wanted maximum braking power.

So, when I found out Riffraff was carrying EBC - I called Clay and got a set of Yellowstuff on the way!! Its taken me a few weeks to find the time to install them, but metal-to-metal on a rear brake forced me to do this brake job at RRE. (it was kinda like a Nascar pit stop btw... - THANK YOU Bulla, Mike, Petey and anyone else who was helping!!!!)

I replaced the sticky rear caliper (not slide-pins...) and that gave me (4) newish calipers from Autozone - I did the front (2), then went to replace the rears in NJ, but the AZ part# was wrong for drivers-side and they didn't have what I needed - so we put it together and it 'worked'...

We took (3) rotors (and receipt) back to O'Riellys and took advantage of 'lifetime warranty' - just so I'd have fresh rotors for the new pads. The other rear was replaced last year and looked good. This may not be the intent of the warranty, but my home store doesn't care and I plan to repent at the Pearly Gates.

Driving was IMMEDIATELY different. It takes waaaay less pedal pressure to stop. Not at all 'grabby', just responds to pedal pressure better - the harder you press the brakes, the faster you stop. I've had a couple instances towing where I stood on the brakes HARD and the truck simply did not stop like I wanted it too. I think I'll be able to lock the tires up now if I want (at least make the ABS work!!). The 1000mi was driving thru Smokey Mountains back home and then out to Tulsa, OK - not towing. I have just driven 'normal' after the first dozen or so miles, no hard stops yet (too much JUNK on board to 'test' them properly...)

Just like it says in the literature, they made a little noise after the first 150mi or so - but its all quiet now. I have these pads on my F350 and they do make more dust than the Greenstuff, however I'm ok with that as long as I can STOP whenever I want to. Honestly, I would call the dust comparable to OE and it cleans up easily with clean water and a soft sponge. I really don't know why anyone would sacrifice braking performance to save a couple minutes of detailing time - but thats just me. I'm a 'function before fashion' kind of guy!! I can also say that I have experimented with stopping F350 2-3 times in a row while coming down a grade towing 5ver and there was no noticeable brake fade - don't try that with 'regular' pads!! Also, no need for 'fancy' (aka expensive) rotors if ya use a good set of pads like this. If your rotors aren't warped, just throw these on and roll - if ya need new rotors (don't bother 'turning' PSD rotors, they tend to warp again in short order!), just buy over-the-counter rotors. Those cross-drilled, slotted, cryoed and otherwise molested rotors won't make your truck STOP any faster anyway. A good set of pads will go the furthest in your quest to stop warping rotors!!

Anyway, if I find a product that performs as advertised - I'm happy to share that with others. These fit the bill for me and I feel confident anyone looking for more stopping power AND/or tired of warping rotors will be satisfied with these pads. And thanks Clay for taking such good care of me (as usual)!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Awesome assessment Jason! I was looking at the EBC greenstuff. I used to roadrace motorcycles and loved the green stuff on my race bike. Good to know both green and yellow are solid options as my front squealers are telling me I need to do the brakes soon.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I've had EBC Greenstuff pads up front for at least 40k miles and the rear pads were 'premium' over the counter stuff from NAPA. The Greenstuff pads were a MAJOR improvement over the NAPA pads I replaced back then. I did not turn rotors for that pad change and they were not warped after running the Greenstuff - even after a caliper locked up and nearly caused a fire!! I've actually been running those pads for the last 15k+ after replacing the caliper(s) - no problems, but now that I'm towing 13k lb Toy Hauler I wanted maximum braking power.

So, when I found out Riffraff was carrying EBC - I called Clay and got a set of Yellowstuff on the way!! Its taken me a few weeks to find the time to install them, but metal-to-metal on a rear brake forced me to do this brake job at RRE. (it was kinda like a Nascar pit stop btw... - THANK YOU Bulla, Mike, Petey and anyone else who was helping!!!!)

I replaced the sticky rear caliper (not slide-pins...) and that gave me (4) newish calipers from Autozone - I did the front (2), then went to replace the rears in NJ, but the AZ part# was wrong for drivers-side and they didn't have what I needed - so we put it together and it 'worked'...

We took (3) rotors (and receipt) back to O'Riellys and took advantage of 'lifetime warranty' - just so I'd have fresh rotors for the new pads. The other rear was replaced last year and looked good. This may not be the intent of the warranty, but my home store doesn't care and I plan to repent at the Pearly Gates.

Driving was IMMEDIATELY different. It takes waaaay less pedal pressure to stop. Not at all 'grabby', just responds to pedal pressure better - the harder you press the brakes, the faster you stop. I've had a couple instances towing where I stood on the brakes HARD and the truck simply did not stop like I wanted it too. I think I'll be able to lock the tires up now if I want (at least make the ABS work!!). The 1000mi was driving thru Smokey Mountains back home and then out to Tulsa, OK - not towing. I have just driven 'normal' after the first dozen or so miles, no hard stops yet (too much JUNK on board to 'test' them properly...)

Just like it says in the literature, they made a little noise after the first 150mi or so - but its all quiet now. I have these pads on my F350 and they do make more dust than the Greenstuff, however I'm ok with that as long as I can STOP whenever I want to. Honestly, I would call the dust comparable to OE and it cleans up easily with clean water and a soft sponge. I really don't know why anyone would sacrifice braking performance to save a couple minutes of detailing time - but thats just me. I'm a 'function before fashion' kind of guy!! I can also say that I have experimented with stopping F350 2-3 times in a row while coming down a grade towing 5ver and there was no noticeable brake fade - don't try that with 'regular' pads!! Also, no need for 'fancy' (aka expensive) rotors if ya use a good set of pads like this. If your rotors aren't warped, just throw these on and roll - if ya need new rotors (don't bother 'turning' PSD rotors, they tend to warp again in short order!), just buy over-the-counter rotors. Those cross-drilled, slotted, cryoed and otherwise molested rotors won't make your truck STOP any faster anyway. A good set of pads will go the furthest in your quest to stop warping rotors!!

Anyway, if I find a product that performs as advertised - I'm happy to share that with others. These fit the bill for me and I feel confident anyone looking for more stopping power AND/or tired of warping rotors will be satisfied with these pads. And thanks Clay for taking such good care of me (as usual)!!!
Sounds very similar to the Hawk SuperDuty pads.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Jason, thanks for the update. When I warp my turned OEM rotors, I am going to follow your lead. Are these the ones? Riffraff Diesel: EBC Yellow Stuff Pads - Front

Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
What is the difference in Green stuff VS Yellow Stuff?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Also, no need for 'fancy' (aka expensive) rotors if ya use a good set of pads like this.
Over the years, guys unable to afford the cryo treated rotors, but needing to replace their crappy rotors, have opted for a good set from NAPA or a brake supply house and paired them with a quality brake pad.

Time has proven that their solution to the brake shudder problem worked, and going the cryo treated route was not the only way to solve the problem.

I wanted to get a set of EBC pads for my truck when I did the brakes awhile back, unfortunately they were quite a bit more than the Hawk LTS pads I've been using on my Excursion, so this time around when I did the brakes, I opted for the Hawk pads.

Next time though, I will be trying the EBC's. I've wanted to try their pads for over 8 years now.

If your rotors aren't warped, just throw these on and roll - if ya need new rotors (don't bother 'turning' PSD rotors, they tend to warp again in short order!), just buy over-the-counter rotors.
Yep, once the cementite forms, no amount of turning will permanently eliminate the brake shudder, warped feeling.

Those cross-drilled, slotted, cryoed and otherwise molested rotors won't make your truck STOP any faster anyway.
I disagree with this statement.

Better pads will of course stop a vehicle better than crappy pads, but likewise, cryo treated rotors will help a vehicle stop better than crappy rotors, or rotors with cementite causing brake shudder. Maybe not as much when compared to good pads vs. cheap pads, but they will make a difference.

I know now that when I need to do my Ex brakes again, and I replace my cryo treated rotors (have had them turned twice now), I'll be going with a less expensive, quality rotor.

The money I save will pay for the EBC's!

Stewart

Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
What is the difference in Green stuff VS Yellow Stuff?
Yellowstuff is more 'aggressive' with greater stopping power. They do cost a little more and make more dust than Greenstuff though... Either would be a good upgrade IMO, perhaps Greenstuff if ya don't tow or live in the mountains?

Jason, thanks for the update. When I warp my turned OEM rotors, I am going to follow your lead. Are these the ones? Riffraff Diesel: EBC Yellow Stuff Pads - Front
YEP!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 AM
hhcobra
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to report your findings!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Reviving a old thread.

How about a update? How are they doing now?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I saw you got some!

Ummmm, over 20k miles on them now - mostly dragging this 12k lb Toy Hauler. Brake inspection during last tire rotation looked like 70% or so pad remaining??? They aren't close to 1/2 worn yet.

THESE ARE THE BEST BRAKE PADS I'VE EVER HAD!!! I am never going back to 'regular' pads again.

Ok, there is/was a quirk. During break-in, when they got wet - the squeal at low speeds would shatter glass. This only happened a couple times during the first 1500mi or so and they've not made a noise since. It was after driving thru a puddle on the job site, then puttering around at <10mph. The noise stopped the first time I touched the brakes above 15mph.

Bion, just read and follow the EBC break-in directions (I know YOU will ) and let us know what you think! (make sure all cargo is secure, actually STOPPING may take some getting used to! ) What kind of rotors/calipers did you get??

Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up ........thank you Jason........going with these since I know in my heart I will never spring for cryo rotors.........I am too cheap

Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Thanks for the follow up!

Yeah, The Pads are in transit now. As far as the Rotors, I've delayed on the order as I'm himming and hawing between ESB 3dg sport, Powerslot, or Raybestos R300 advanced performance. Leaning toward the Raybestos R300. They have a lot going for them.

In a email, EBC recommeded their 3DG sport rotors, dimpled and slotted. But I don't know.

The calipers are Motorcraft remans from my local ford parts dealer. He doesn't charge me core and I can just turn them in when I am ready. He trusts me! Major convienience factor for me. For calipers, I prefer the Ford remans better than the others. (even though it is probably one of the others that does it for Ford anyway)

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
I just re-read what you said in the first post about the rotors. Brake fade is my number one butt pucker factor when coming down a big grade with my trailer. Since I'm not diesel, I don't have a engine brake option.

But when the drum brakes on the trailer start to fade even in low gear and pumping, then the truck brakes start to take the slack. THAT is when I start losing it and the Truck brakes start to fade out as they overheat. Those are the times that I remember religeon and calling the almighty. Oh GOD! OH GOD! OHHHHHGOD!

The OEM Brakes work good for daily driver use, but scare the hell out of me when towing.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Well, just spent the last two hours online searching and now found the differences that made up my mind. I just ordered 4 Raybestos R300 rotors from Rockauto.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know.

Stewart

Quick Reply: EBC Yellowstuff pads - 1000mi report