Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC Yellowstuff pads - 1000mi report

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 AM
MURDOMINO
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i had the EBC "green's" on a ls1 powered T/A a few years back, but didnt really do much driving on the stocks before. Never had any fade, even while at an autocross event. Gonna spend the money through riffraf and get me some Greenstuff now since its taking me a mile to stop this damn truck from 25 mph's up hill!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:30 AM
GermanMike
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rebuild my breaks last November and drove about 4kmls since than.
I purchased 4 EBC Dimpled and Slotted Discs and combined them with the
yellow stuff Pads all around....and to top it off I bought a complete set of
Stainless Steel Braided Teflon Lines for the Front and Back.
After a complete brakefluid flush and upgrade to DOT4 fluid I thought really
that I bite the steeringwheel at the first step on the pedal.
Maaaan.....what a difference!
So.....after those mls I can recommened this combination. The dust is average, the pads hold up great and even the dimpled rotors shows only a minimal wear.
.....and I drive sometimes a bit agressive and fast here in Germany.
......all I say is the word AUTOBAHN.

Friends of me drive the mighty Explorer and drive there a similar setup, inspite of the yellow stuff. They swear to the red stuff, because they say, that the red stuff bites as hard as the yellow stuff but even if the breaks are cool. The yellows bite even more if they are hot, where the red stuff bite la bit less in comparison to the yellow pads, because they love high temperatures.

What do you need is the question? Do you like driving agressive and fast or you do a lot of towing in a mountain scenery...than you should get those yellow pads.
Otherwise you would be probably better with buying the red stuff.
Anyway....those EBCs are a very good choice. Pads and Rotors.
Just my 2cents......

BtW.....if youre asking Brent......you dont need breaks at all....stretching your legs like Fred in the Flintstone Mobil is way enough

Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GermanMike

BtW.....if youre asking Brent......you dont need breaks at all....stretching your legs like Fred in the Flintstone Mobil is way enough

I think I'm the only one here that has not been impressed with these. I had green pads in for awhile but they were a bit to noisy for my taste ( I don't want to hear anything!) I went back to Ford brown box pads, think the biggest difference I found were going with new brake lines as far as stopping power. But again I'm definitely the minority here. Just my humble .02

Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge

I think I'm the only one here that has not been impressed with these. I had green pads in for awhile but they were a bit to noisy for my taste ( I don't want to hear anything!) I went back to Ford brown box pads, think the biggest difference I found were going with new brake lines as far as stopping power. But again I'm definitely the minority here. Just my humble .02
I chose to go with Motorcraft pads, the heavy duty version and stainless steel/ Kevlar braided lines. Great stopping power, quiet and good pedal feel. Have to add that I have no experience with EBC and could not give an opinion about those.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM
bbacon
Freshman User
Have had the EBC Slotted and Dimpled Hubs on my two wheel drive for two years having turned them once. I use my EX for work and occasionally pull a 12 ft trailer for catering. Have used Yellowstuff for both exchanges and have replaced the calipers once replacing the slide pin kit both times. I have close to 60K miles on the rotors. It was very pricey and I shopped like mad to get the price on hubs and pads rock bottom. I was changing autozone duralast golds every 3 to 5 months like clock work with the warp wobble every time. I felt foolish turning the EBC's but just didn't have the cash for new front hubs. I have almost run the life out of a second set of pads and the turned hubs have yet to give the warp wobble. I did follow the break in instructions and picked up the EBC DVD and did all their recommended install checks. For my money and Time I will go with EBC's again having amazing return on performance. I have looked at other options but there really are not good ones for the two wheel drive EX. The only con is they make dust. You do have to clean the wheels regularly, however, that is better than seeing the autozone guy once a quarter.
As far as the stopping power and peddle ford should have spec'd something similar to this set up at purchase. Its everything you hoped to have. Smooth, rapid, controlled stopping with full cargo and trailer/boat. Plus longevity.
Someone would really have to have a fantastic setup that cost about the same as an autozone set of brakes to make me change from the EBC Sport hubs with Yellowstuff. For what its worth the EBC rep did not feel the Greenstuff would perform with towing and was not recommended by the EBC engineers for a truck as heavy as the EX.
For what its worth.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:20 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,151 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge

They make noise until they are 'broken in'. Mine haven't made a sound since then.

I'll be towing a 4wd F250 CCSB on a 2-car GN trailer from GA to NJ this weekend and the mountains will put these 'old' pads to the test again.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I absolutely love the stopping power of my yellow stuff. After they were all broken in, I've decided I'll never go to any other pad for my excursion.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
They make noise until they are 'broken in'. Mine haven't made a sound since then.

I'll be towing a 4wd F250 CCSB on a 2-car GN trailer from GA to NJ this weekend and the mountains will put these 'old' pads to the test again.
Where ya going in Jersey?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:10 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So i have the cheapest store line of front pads now.....stopping isnt horrid, but the dust is insane. I want to throw a new set of pads on. I tow once a month or so, but it's a 10k trailer when i do. Should I go with a store brand ceramic, or EBC greens?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:46 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
So i have the cheapest store line of front pads now.....stopping isnt horrid, but the dust is insane. I want to throw a new set of pads on. I tow once a month or so, but it's a 10k trailer when i do. Should I go with a store brand ceramic, or EBC greens?
This is an old thread and your question is tough to answer since I doubt anyone has any experience with the store pad you mention.

I recently put EBC Green Stuff on the front of my truck and they are awesome! I had HAWK LTS pads but they squeaked and I didn't care for the cold stopping out of the driveway feel. I don't tow that heavy and don't brake aggressively. I plan to tow a car trailer next month about 1000 miles so I'll be curious to see how they perform, I suspect well. They are more dusty than other pads I've tried but they stop the best, by far.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I say go for a better pad. Hawk or EBC.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:01 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
are the BEC gonna be worse for dust than like a weaver line pad?

Old 09-23-2015, 02:48 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
If they stop better, I say who cares about dust!

Old 09-23-2015, 04:59 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,151 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
are the BEC gonna be worse for dust than like a weaver line pad?
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
If they stop better, I say who cares about dust!
That is exactly how I feel about it. If you want low dust and poor braking - get the store-brand 'ceramic' pads. Expect to change rotors more than pads... I do not purchase brake pads based on how much dust they generate! The wearever line SUCKS. All of them.

The EBC Greenstuff are probably slightly less dust than OEM pads. The Yellowstuff are comparable to OEM. The dust is easily washed off with a sponge and clean water if you do it regularly. The amount of dust depends on the type of braking you do. Hard/aggressive braking will produce more dust. I ran these pads with polished aluminum wheels and never complained about dust.

If you do moderate towing and don't brake aggressively, expect long life out of even the Yellowstuff pads. I have used both Yellow and Green - and I see no reason not to just run the Yellow pads. STOPPING is very, very important to me!!! I like the confidence I get running with good brakes!

Old 09-23-2015, 05:23 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I am with Michael (LivinLarge) from earlier, I was very unimpressed with the EBCs I had, I had the green stuffs on for about 5k miles and hated them. I felt no noticeable stopping improvement and the dust was HORRIBLE. Biggest braking difference I have noticed is with new brake lines. I could live with the insane amount of dust if there were a real seat of the pants improvement....it just wasn't there for me, so I guess I'm with Michael in the minority!

Quick Reply: EBC Yellowstuff pads - 1000mi report