6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Question for Titan Fuel Tank Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:44 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Question for Titan Fuel Tank Owners...

Guys,

For those of you who purchased the Titan Fuel Tank, what did you do with your old tank and mounting hardware?

I would love to sell mine but I have had no luck so far.

Suggestions?

-gascan

Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Recycled mine. It will probably be a awhile until there is market demand for replacement or used fuel tanks. It wasn't worth hassling with to me.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I threw mine away after keeping it for months - well several weeks ago I had an unfortunate problem on the I-10 I was driving along and a piece of aluminum scaffolding fell off a truck - well I had no place to go so I drove over it - It straddled between my wheels perfectly. Except there was one problem - a small piece of aluminum was sticking up and punctured through my titan skid plate and my tank - I had to repair mine while another was en-route. And of course if i had my old tank I could have reinstalled it - but it was gone. So if you have a place to store it (Under the house, or wherever -Keep it.) Otherwise chunk it and need it latter. (Isn't that Joe's law? - I know it is similar to Murphy's? ) My new tank and skid plate will have a plate of 1/8" stainless between the plastic skid-plate and the tank. - I will cut to fit with a plasma cutter.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER
I threw mine away after keeping it for months - well several weeks ago I had an unfortunate problem on the I-10 I was driving along and a piece of aluminum scaffolding fell off a truck - well I had no place to go so I drove over it - It straddled between my wheels perfectly. Except there was one problem - a small piece of aluminum was sticking up and punctured through my titan skid plate and my tank - I had to repair mine while another was en-route. And of course if i had my old tank I could have reinstalled it - but it was gone. So if you have a place to store it (Under the house, or wherever -Keep it.) Otherwise chunk it and need it latter. (Isn't that Joe's law? - I know it is similar to Murphy's? ) My new tank and skid plate will have a plate of 1/8" stainless between the plastic skid-plate and the tank. - I will cut to fit with a plasma cutter.
Bummer - big time! I am glad you are ok but I hate hearing that. Any photos of the damage?

-gascan

Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
I just checked, I thought I had some but I guess not - It was a gash about 8 inches long and 3 tenths of an inch wide with fuel spewing all over the road - Lucky for me I had just filled up and was able to stuff some putty epoxy in the gash to slow the leak long enough to get to my buddy's shop where we took everything apart and cut a small piece of aluminum and glued it in place with a 3M Fast Set plastic bonding adhesive. - Worked great - several weeks later and no problems - but I will defiantly put the stainless plate between the tank and the skid plate when I replace the tank. I guess there is a reason that FORD puts the steel plate under there tanks!!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Recycled mine. It will probably be a awhile until there is market demand for replacement or used fuel tanks. It wasn't worth hassling with to me.
Thanks Epic. I guess that is what I will end up doing. I am short on storage space in my garage.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:42 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is safely stored upstairs in my mom's garage...just in case...

Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rickatic
Mine is safely stored upstairs in my mom's garage...just in case...
All of my family lives on the farm back in South Georgia so unfortunately I don't have that option. One of the draw backs of being a "city puke" as my brother says. <grin>

Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Great question. I've been wondering the same. I have my old fuel tank, the stock hitch, and the stock bedliner. Was wondering if the local big salvage yard would give me anything for them. I'd take $20 for everything. Its only four miles up the road versus 2.5 miles to the dump.

By the way, I sold the truck so the "just in case" doesn't apply to me at all.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

I still have my OEM tank.......Don't know how much longer I will keep it......It's getting in the way.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Snoman93
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Maybe this question has been asked or said before, but when you install the new larger tank is there away to maybe recalabrate the computer in the truck, or maybe it just works, but for the "miles to empty" feature to work properly?
Thanks

Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoman93
Maybe this question has been asked or said before, but when you install the new larger tank is there away to maybe recalabrate the computer in the truck, or maybe it just works, but for the "miles to empty" feature to work properly?
Thanks
Titan told me no. Not that someone out there hasn't or won't figure it out. If they can adjust the speedometer because of larger tires, to be sure they can figure out a way to adjust the fuel quantity for an aftermarket tank.

Ironically, we ran out of fuel on our first big trip with our Titan. Gauge read almost empty and "miles to empty" was 21 when she just died at 72mph on the interstate. My float in the tank didn't sit like the stock tank allowed it to and I didn't make any adjustments. Found out the hard and expensive way. Fortunately, Ford paid for the towing. How 'bout that?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoman93
Thanks
Tank sizes can now be programmed by a dealer to an extent.
Here are a few posts or you can read the whole topic; it's long.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10129049

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10224440

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10319180

Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I put a Titan in my 06 GMC, got rid of the old tank after 6 months or so. When I decided to get the new truck I put the GMC on Craigslist. The ad mentioned 2 prices, one with the add on's, one without. I got several requests for the Titan if I pulled it, $5-600.

I'll keep the factory tank this time for the next trade up. That 5-600 would get me half way to a new Titan.