Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior User

Bagbyknoter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Recomendations on cleaning out gas tank and lines

Anyone have any recomendations on how to clean my gas tank and fuel lines
BTW The gas tank is allready dropped. Any help will be apprciated

Thanks,

Jonathan

Also how do i edit the name of this thread, Would like to fix the typo
Old 07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
Archion.Uberpimp PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
The tank the best reccomendation is taking it to a radiator shop and having it dipped. Lines, I have actually used the evaporative style(DuraFlush) A/C Flush with a flush gun.
JOIN THE WEST VIRGINIA CHAPTER CLICK HERE
Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
Use the Advanced editor for fixing the title (which is in a rectangular box above the post body).
Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Posting Guru

Eddiec1564 has a good reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a good reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a good reputation on FTE.
I always use compressed air and blow the lines out. If there's some junk in the lines, then I use carb cleaner and the compressed air.
85 Plymouth Caravelle
73 Buick LeSabre
Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
I think I agree w/Archion because I know what didn't clean a tank - a chain, 2 gallons of fresh gas, lots of sloshing, rinse and repeat 4 times.

You would think that would get rid of the sediment, but it didn't. So, I have to run two fuel filters, one ahead of the pump which catches LOTS of sediment, and one in the normal place between the pump and the carb. And, don't use the thin metal filters like were originally on the trucks as they have very coarse screen in them and are effective on flies, not gnats. One of those let enough silt through that my accelerator discharge nozzles plugged up. I use the see-thru plastic filters with pleated elements and haven't had any more problems, although I do have to change out the first filter every few months.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Check the condition of the tank on top were it lays against the frame, and underneath the plastic protector. They like to rust out there. And also get prices to steam the tank out. Then compare the price to a new tank, which I believe is only around $100.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Posting Guru

Eddiec1564 has a good reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a good reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a good reputation on FTE.
If its just rotten gas and not much rust, few gals of acetone should get rid of the varnished gas. I did that to my 93 Explorer buggy which has the plastic tank. Someone else told me diesel fuel also cleans up varnised gas too.
85 Plymouth Caravelle
73 Buick LeSabre
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1989, clean, cleaning, davidson, explorer, f150, ford, fuel, gas, harley, how, pickup, rust, tank, truck