rough idle dies /after storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM
The other Joe
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
rough idle dies /after storage

Hi all;

I am hoping for a little help in troubleshooting my psd.

Its a 97 F250 230k miles that was running fine when I stopped driving it last fall.

I have been doing brake and axle work, trans. rear seal, and general clean up.

When I pulled it in the barn it ran rough. So along with the other work I changed the engine oil and filter. cleaned and charged the batteries, pulled the fuel filter (very clean, new last fall) and cleaned the screen.

The engine starts good cold, but idled rough, smoothed out some and idled for about 15 minutes then stalled.
I looked in the pump and it was full. I pulled the fuel filter to see if the res. was full, and it was.
On attempt to restart it cranked and didn't want to fire.

The fuel pressure at idle was right at 50 lbs. when it was running.
I will do the bb mod, but don't think it will help this problem.

What are the chances of it being a fuel quality problem? Does diesel go bad in 6 mos? It looked good in the bowl. But I am new to diesel.

Are there any commom things happen when these psd's sit over winter.

All help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

It acts like its running out of fuel, but maybe not.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How did it die? Spit and sputter or like someone just shut the key off? Does your WTS light come on with the key?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 AM
The other Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by F350-6
How did it die? Spit and sputter or like someone just shut the key off? Does your WTS light come on with the key?

It spit and sputtered like running out of fuel.

The WTS light works like normal.

thanks,

Joe

Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
6 months isn't too long for the fuel. So the HPOP reservoir is full and the fuel bowl is full? Any smoke out the tail pipe while cranking? Does the tach bounce while cranking? Have you put your batteries on a charger to keep them topped off while you diagnose this?

Double check the level in your HPOP reservoir to make sure it hasn't gone down while cranking. Double check your fuel filter and FPR screen to make sure you didn't get a piece of trash sucked up in there. Check your air intake and make sure nothing built a nest in there in the last few months.

Edit: And actually this is the NBS 7.3 section. We'll get this thread moved to the OBS section to get more answers.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 AM
The other Joe
Tuned
Originally Posted by F350-6
6 months isn't too long for the fuel. So the HPOP reservoir is full and the fuel bowl is full? Any smoke out the tail pipe while cranking? Does the tach bounce while cranking? Have you put your batteries on a charger to keep them topped off while you diagnose this?

Double check the level in your HPOP reservoir to make sure it hasn't gone down while cranking. Double check your fuel filter and FPR screen to make sure you didn't get a piece of trash sucked up in there. Check your air intake and make sure nothing built a nest in there in the last few months.

Edit: And actually this is the NBS 7.3 section. We'll get this thread moved to the OBS section to get more answers.

Hi Chris,

I see that I posted in the wrong section.

Thanks, for answering.

Both batteries were fully charged over the last few days.

Yesterday when I started to check it out everything was fresh, new oil & filter, removed the f/f and cleaned the screen. I did open the air box and clean the a/f and blew it out. It was clean and fresh last fall. But I did't check further upstream. I will do that soon.

After it stalled out yesterday I only tried to start it 1 time. I knew it wasn't right so I didn't force it. Then I had to quit for the day. I did not notice any smoke or check the tach needle. To me it acts like a fuel starvation problem, but I have been wrong before. Air would give similar symptoms.

I am going to go out soon and check the air inlet upsteam of the filter to be sure. If all is ok, then I think I will pull the ICP sensor connector off and see if its any better. Then take it from there.

I am a newbie to the diesel, so I really appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Joe

Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Thread moved