Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
TycoMax
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pan

Hi guys I have searched for threads on this but was unable to find one that answered the question. I am sure it was there and I apologize for making yet another thread for it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
1. Can the oil pan be dropped in truck? ( 93 351 ) Would like to change pump and pick up.<o></o>
<o></o>
2. Failing that is there a good way to de gunk the pickup I just changed the timing chain and noticed that there is a lot of sludge on the parts so I was thinking the pickup may be partly clogged as well.<o></o>
<o></o>
Thank you so much.<o></o>
<o></o>
Dave<o></o>
<o></o>

Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I believe so. Is this 4wd?

1. You will need to loosen the motor mounts.
2. Remove the bolts holding the fan shroud to radiator.
3. Have several 1"x2" wood blocks. Use a spare wood block as your lift point on the oil pan. I used a tranny jack for lifting.
4. Disconnect Battery cables.
5. Unbolt starter from bellhousing. ( I also disconnected the wiring to the starter and laid it off to the side to prevent any stress on the wiring itself.)
6. Gently and carefully start to lift the oil pan.
7. Watch the plenum as you lift the engine to ensure it doesn't hit the firewall.
8. Once you have lifted it enough to slide 1 of the blocks thru where the motor mounts to the frame, you need to stop there.
9. If you are contemplatingdropping the entre oil pan and removing it, you will need to use the steps below.

10. DIsconnect the exhaust from the exhaust manifolds. Remove the crossmember from under the transmission. Drop the entire exhaust down.
11. I supported the transmission with another tranny jack to allow for any movement.

Hopefully I haven't left anything out, but this off the top of mind and ive done it several times. The hard way and the easy way.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:14 PM
TycoMax
Freshman User
Thank you timbersteel

That helps alot and yes it is a 4X4

Old 04-23-2011, 04:18 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
How much different is it for a 2wd truck? Would I still have to disconnect the exhaust?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
The difference and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is the 4x4 components can hinder, well make it difficult to slid the pan out. I think this applies more to the 4.9 since once you lift the motor, if it's 2wd, you only need minimal clearance. If it's 4wd, you need even more clearance to slide it out. If you want to completely remove the oil pan, you will need to drop the exhaust as outlined earlier. If you try to slid the oil pan completely with the exhaust intact, you will find out rather quickly that you will have too. The 4.9 is the only motor I know that you don't have to do this on. The exhaust is all ont he passenger side, so it doesn't interfere with dropping the oil pan and removing it from the vehicle.

Someone may chime in with the specifics as such.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 PM
TycoMax
Freshman User
Ah good to know. I think I am just gona leave it be and see if the new sender helps at all. I haven’t noticed any knocking or lifter noise. The gauge does not work but after seeing the gunk I am just hoping its was plugged. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I am having a hell of a time trying to get a broken bolt out of the block that’s right beside a water passage that snapped when I took the water pump and timing cover off to change the timing chain.<o></o>
<o></o>
Thanks for your reply's timbersteel<o></o>

Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
A friend and I changed the pump and pick up tube in my 93 without pulling the exhaust.
We unbolted the engine mounts and jacked the engine up. We unbolted the tranny mount,so that the engine could be tilted more. Truthfully don't know if it helped or not.
We then jacked the truck up at the frame so that there was more room between the engine and front axle.
Now the fun part. after you get all the pan bolts out, you still can't get the pan out of the truck. You have to reach in and unbolt the pick up tube, let it fall into the pan. Try to see the orientation of the tube.
Now you can pull the pan out. then unbolt the oil pump, and catch the drive rod if it falls out. It should come out with the pump, but it may stick up in the engine and fall out at it's liesure, which mine did.
Clean the pan, flatten the bolts holes and glue the new pan gasket on before you do anything else so that it will be stuck good before you wrestle it back into place.

Now all your mating searfaces are clean, bolt in the pump with the drive rod in place. Get the pan up in place, bolt your pick up tube to the pump. Then lift the pan up and put the front 2 bolts in finger tight. Now the back 2. Now you can put all the rest of the bolts in, and torque them. Then you can reverse the r est of the process of putting the truck together.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 PM
TycoMax
Freshman User
Thanks 2fords great play by play <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><vath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></vath><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 15pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.gif" o:title="0"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o></o>
<o></o>
Appreciate the replies.<o></o>
<o></o>
Dave

Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM
TycoMax
Freshman User
ARRG!!!!!

Well epic failed at getting the broken bolt out of the block. Thought I had it once but the stud extractor broke. Tried re drilling the hole but I wondered off center and now have a hole half off the original hole with half the original bolt still stuck in it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Engine has to come out now just can’t get good position on it with it in the truck.<o></o>
<o></o>
I am wondering are there any short blocks or long blocks out there for trucks most of what I see is all for cars. A nice decent 351 block for a 4X4 would be great.<o></o>
<o></o>
Sorry for the rant just very disappointed right now