Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 PM
kevin316's Avatar
kevin316 kevin316 is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Posts: 599
kevin316 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is a stroker a DIY project?

I want to build a 351 stroker. I have experience building engines, a 350 and a 460 so the basics are not an issue.

I'm aiming for about 500 hp. Is this something I could or should assemble myself? Of course I would have a shop do all the machine work.

Just looking for opinions.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 PM
jimbbski jimbbski is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 454
jimbbski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Building a stroker engine is no different then any other engine with the exception of possible crank, con rod, and piston interference with the block. IF you buy the rotating parts from a know supplier they should be able to tell you if you will need to clearence the block and how much.

To do this will require you to assemble the rotating parts in the block and then see where things hit. Remove parts, grind block. reassemble parts in block check again for interference. Remove parts, grind block. Etc. etc.

Untill there is no more interference and enough clearence to be safe under running conditions.

Of you can have a shop experienced in building strokers do the work. It's your time or your money.

A 351 block stroked to 391-408 cid can make 500 hp with the right cam and intake and not have to turn much more then 6-6200 rpm. Below is a link to a shop that does strokers and you should find more answers to your questions.
FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W)

302, 347, 351, 408418, 500, diy, fe, ford, forum, horsepower, make, projects, stroker, strokers, truck, turbo, twin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup