1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions on draining transmisson on F-550

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Oppland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie questions on draining transmisson on F-550

Hello, I have never drained my own transmission before and I am attempting to do so on my 2001 Ford F-550 with a 4r100 tranny.

I drained it already but ran out of daylight and I am wondering whether it will be fine without any ATF in it overnight. It's parked and isn't going anywhere. I made sure to seal it back up by putting the tranny pan oil drain plug back in and the torque converter drain plug back in as well. I am just wondering if it's bad for it to sit without any fluid in it at all?

Also, when I went to put the torque converter drain plug back in and I made sure to start it off with my fingers so as not to cross thread it but after getting it hand tight I began using the ratchet to tighten it down all the way, oddly the drain bolt only wants to go in about half way. This is scary as I am unsure whether I might have cross threaded the bolt. I backed it out and looked at the bolt closely and it does not appear to be cross threaded. Shouldn't the bolt be flush with the torque converter? When I loosened it I don't remember it being bolted in only half way. I'm scared to keep forcing it in because I don't want to crack the torque converter/housing. Can someone please advise me on what I am doing wrong? Or does the torque converter drain bolt only thread in half way? Any help would be enormously appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, you'll be fine for overnight. Everything is aluminum for the most part, and will have a coating of fluid to prevent rusting anyway. The bolt should be slightly tapered to make a good seal, and therefore will not go in all the way flush. If it goes in a good couple of rotations by finger you will know it is not cross threaded.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
As stated, letting it sit will be fine.

If you're trying to flush the ATF, here is the DIY procedure. Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

Works much better than just pulling the plugs and draining. You can even skip the plug on the torque converter next time.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Oppland
New User
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Yup, you'll be fine for overnight. Everything is aluminum for the most part, and will have a coating of fluid to prevent rusting anyway. The bolt should be slightly tapered to make a good seal, and therefore will not go in all the way flush. If it goes in a good couple of rotations by finger you will know it is not cross threaded.
Thank you for the reply TennesseeMustangPerf it's much appreciated.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any time, my friend. Glad to help!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
[QUOTE=Oppland;9987496]I am just wondering if it's bad for it to sit without any fluid in it at all? [quote]
Won't hurt it at all.

Originally Posted by Oppland
oddly the drain bolt only wants to go in about half way.
The thread is a tapered pipe thread. The further you go into the hole the smaller the diameter. So the plug can only go part way in. That's how a tapered thread works.

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Everything is aluminum for the most part,
There is A LOT of steel in there! All of the gears are steel, all of the shafts, drums, shells, clutch separator plates, solenoids, etc. Leaving it overnight is fine.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Oppland
New User
[quote=Mark Kovalsky;9988466][quote=Oppland;9987496]I am just wondering if it's bad for it to sit without any fluid in it at all?
Won't hurt it at all.

The thread is a tapered pipe thread. The further you go into the hole the smaller the diameter. So the plug can only go part way in. That's how a tapered thread works.

There is A LOT of steel in there! All of the gears are steel, all of the shafts, drums, shells, clutch separator plates, solenoids, etc. Leaving it overnight is fine.
Thanks Mark, I am not super mechanically inclined but I am trying my best learn. I will remember this about tapered bolts in the future. I've heard nightmare stories of people being ham-handed and "forcing" bolts only to end up with a broken bolt or worse. That's why I stopped tightening it, I didn't know that it was tapered, just that it had it's own ideas about how far it wanted to go in. Now I know that it was saying: "I'm a tapered bolt stupid!, I don't go in all the way."

Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Oppland
New User
[quote=Mark Kovalsky;9988466][quote=Oppland;9987496]I am just wondering if it's bad for it to sit without any fluid in it at all?
Won't hurt it at all.

Thanks Mark, I am not super mechanically inclined but I am trying my best learn. I will remember this about tapered bolts in the future. I've heard nightmare stories of people being ham-handed and "forcing" bolts only to end up with a broken bolt or worse. That's why I stopped tightening it, I didn't know that it was tapered, just that it had it's own ideas about how far it wanted to go in. Now I know that it was saying: "I'm a tapered bolt stupid!, I don't go in all the way."