Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Reverse will not engage - 2001 Ford Explorer XLT

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
lobomiguel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Reverse will not engage - 2001 Ford Explorer XLT

Have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT package with the V6 engine. Friday, this past week, the wife calls in a panic because she cannot shift in reverse. The lever shifts to reverse fine, but the gears do not engage (solenoid problem?). We believe the transmission was rebuilt back in 2004 but have no paperwork to back it up. I pulled a CarFax report on the VIN but go nowhere with that. Can I get someone to pull an Oasis report for me as the work was allegedly done by Ford? The worst part of it is the Ford dealership that did the work is out of business, Bethesda Ourisman Ford, so I can't go to them for it. Appreciate any assistance.

The VIN is: 1FMZU73E61ZA11007

Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
69monster
Freshman User
Take it to a tranny shop, I feel if I ask more questions and act like I know what I'm talking about I get screwed less.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 AM
lobomiguel
New User
Thanks for the advice, but -

The problem is I don't trust them - I talk to friends with mechanics backgrounds and they inform me it is in all probability a solenoid. My wife took it to an AAMCO and they wanted to charge about $3000 for a rebuild. But I inquired into the parts needed and, if I needed everything, it would be about $500. So they are trying to get $2500 for labor. UNACCEPTABLE - I am not a wealthy person and everybody acts like it is no big deal but it is. I cannot afford that kind of money and that is the reason I join forums like this; to try and save where I can.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
impish
Senior User
Reverse Solenoid?

Yes, the reverse solenoid MAY be the cause of the no-reverse condition; it is certainly the EASIEST to repair, but not so easy to diagnose positively at first. Am not adequately familiar with the '2001, but beginning in 2002, the computer was able to pinpoint solenoid failure and display it as a "fault" or trouble code. I suspect the 2nd. generation transmissions could not.

If you have a 5R55W or S transmission, it would be indicating presence of a trouble code by flashing the "O/D OFF" light on and off. The 4R44E and 4R55E transmissions did not.

The solenoid replacement, if 4R44E or 4R55E is fairly easy to do. The solenoid is usually to be found new on E-bay for about a hundred bucks. So, if such is the case, and you buy a solenoid, one of your mechanics should be able to install it. If you have the 5-speed automatic, things are a bit more difficult. Anyway, you would be spending money on a repair which might NOT result in a "fix".

I could tell you more, if you determine which transmission you have.

EDIT: I just noted in another thread that his 2001 4.0L used the 5R55E transm. This one I know little about, but will try to find out more about "no reverse" for you. impish

Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
SEAL1
Junior User
I have had my 2001 5R55E rebuilt twice now. The first time (5 years ago) it was rebuilt for the same original symptom that you have (no reverse). It was a problem with a blown control body gasket. This is a common problem and has a TSB out on it. Last week I paid $1900.00 for the second rebuild that included a torque converter. The shop said he gave me a $300.00 discount for being a repeat customer. There was not an O/D off light for the first problem but there was for the second one.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 AM
theWeezL
Junior User
the 2001 should be the 5R55E. If thats the case then it seems to be a common issue that the reverse band snaps right where the the reverse servo engages it. The other common issue is that the o-rings on the reverse servo fail leading to at least a delayed engagment of reverse and sometimes no engagment. The first thing to check is do you have forward movement with the gear selector in L (1) and also check for engine braking in L as well.

Others have suggested the solenoids but in my experience that is just not a common issue and an unlikely fix.

To check the servo and band you need to drop the pan and the servo cover. You can then use a screwdriver through the sservo hole to see if the reverse band has spring action.

Im personally rebuilding my 5R right now because of that exact issue and Ive done tons of research before finding my broken band and now during the repair process.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:58 PM
JeffreyH
1st Gear
Same Issue original 98 tranny breaks in 2022

Originally Posted by theWeezL
the 2001 should be the 5R55E. If thats the case then it seems to be a common issue that the reverse band snaps right where the the reverse servo engages it. The other common issue is that the o-rings on the reverse servo fail leading to at least a delayed engagment of reverse and sometimes no engagment. The first thing to check is do you have forward movement with the gear selector in L (1) and also check for engine braking in L as well.

Others have suggested the solenoids but in my experience that is just not a common issue and an unlikely fix.

To check the servo and band you need to drop the pan and the servo cover. You can then use a screwdriver through the sservo hole to see if the reverse band has spring action.

Im personally rebuilding my 5R right now because of that exact issue and Ive done tons of research before finding my broken band and now during the repair process.
Exact same issue, determined upon disassembly. Otherwise, after 230K miles and big oil cooler and several fluid changes, no detectible wear anywhere else. Still, I wonder if a problem tried to put it in forward and reverse at the same time. Maybe servo stuck, seals sort of hard.