Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Posting Guru

Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.
Crank.. No start.. P1663 FDCS Circuit Failure

I know there is tons of good info here, and I am in the process of searching as we go, but I am in a bit of a time crunch!

The ol project truck got wired up and new batteries for fire up today! This is my 94/97 hybrid, LOL! For all purposes, its a 97 F250HD 7.3 Auto 4x4 for trouble shooting..

I got everything hooked up, checked wiring and went to start it with no luck. Here is what has happened:
  • Engine cranks, wont fire up. Engine RPM is good as brand new 850cca batteries were just installed.
  • Lights are good and operational
  • "NO" mileage readout on the gauges! Blank screen where mileage should be.
  • Check engine light comes on very briefly, then off imediately.
  • "WTS" light comes on for about 5 seconds, then off. You can hear relay really fire up!
  • As cranking, "Fuel Filter" light and "Water in fuel" light come on.
  • "RPM" gauge comes up by about 200rpm but doesnt bounce as engine cranks.
  • GPR gets pretty hot to the touch and even smoked
So after several attempts of cranking and cranking, it wont fire up! I didnt cook the starter trying, but I gave it a good go! After not getting a CEL I went ahead and threw a scanner on it and here is what I ended up with:
  • First Code: P0603
  • Second Code: P0334
Reading that it may be the CPS, I went ahead and replaced it. Tried again with no luck. Rescanned and got:
  • P1663
Amazingly enough, all the other codes went away. But still no fire up! I heard about chips being bad, so I am questioning the one that came with my computer. Its a no name one (BD-power.com) according to the tag on it.

Any ideas? I got get this truck up and going asap, or its going into storage for a long time, as I am moving at the end of this week, and will have to leave it behind to be picked up another year. Thank you!!

1994 F-350 CC Dually : DRW 4x4 XLT, 97 7.3 DIT conversion, tuned, open pipe and modded!.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/94...p-started.html
2010 F-250 CC SRW 6.4PS: 6.4 Powerstroke, 3" lift, Ranch hand F+R Bumpers and guards, ARE Topper, PIAA Off road lighting, more to come!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
What is the FDCS? Isn't this your SD motor in the 97? I really am not any help but the GPR shouldn't be getting hot. It should be a timed event. WAG, wiring.
The Mare 97 dually cc, s366 turbo, stage II's, IC, studs, springs, rods, JW auto, 4:10 LS, efuel, FS2500 bypass oil filter, HVHF IDM, IH WP, 6.0 trans cooler & fan, MBRP 4", SD dual tensioner, AFE intake, 220 amp alt, 38G rear tank, soundproofed, 3 TS chips
Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Posting Guru

Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would take the chip out first of all just to eliminate that. Fdcs is fuel delivery command signal. with some limited searching I came up with a possible faulty pcm or idm. Canyou swap in a different one to try? Here's a little of what I found

Fuel Delivery Command Signal (FDCS)
1999 Pontiac Sunflower 230k
1984 Chebby K20 4 speed Fischer plow 48k original miles beat to hell
Previous trucks- 3 7.3 powerstrokes
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Posting Guru

IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.
IDMooseMan Craig Peters
Is the fuel filter good? Is the FPR screen clear? Oil in the HPOP at the proper level?

I'm assuming you checked these already, but I had to ask just to make sure.

I'm leaning towards the advice Muktown gave. Pull the chip and see what happens.
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters - Slackmaster #27, Big BSer #4, 1997 F-350 XLT 4x4 CCLB E4OD 4.10:1
VP BSU Veterans Club
, USAF SSgt 1983-1992, NAHC Life Member, RIP Gideon 3/14/2011-Go play
To those that have served, Thank You. To those that haven't served, You're Welcome.
Fraternal Order of Blue Max
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
T1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1663 — FDCS CIRCUIT FAILURE
DTC 1663 indicated that the PCM has detected a failure on the FDCS line.
Possible causes:
Open/short in FDCS circuit
Non-powered IDM
IDM
PCM
Check for other codes.
Key on, engine off.
Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test and retrieve Continuous DTCs

If you pull the chip , make sure the key is in your pocket...
'Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!'
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Posting Guru

Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.Midwest Dually has a good reputation on FTE.
Craig: Brand new filters and lubes! New O-rings, gaskets, belts and hoses!

Rick and Justin: Not sure I can pull the chip and all will work. I dont have the key, as I am not the one that originally put this chip in. If I pull the chip, will I kill the memory?

Glenn: I will check on that WAG wiring! Isnt there supposed to be a wire that runs to the fuel bowl that has an inline fuse? If so, where does that wire originate from?

1994 F-350 CC Dually : DRW 4x4 XLT, 97 7.3 DIT conversion, tuned, open pipe and modded!.
2010 F-250 CC SRW 6.4PS: 6.4 Powerstroke, 3" lift, Ranch hand F+R Bumpers and guards, ARE Topper, PIAA Off road lighting, more to come!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Make sure the key is off. Then just pull the chip out. Then the programming will just go back to the stock PCM programming. If the chip is bad the truck should start. Either way I would leave the chip out until its up and running.

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbeggs View Post
Make sure the key is off. Then just pull the chip out. Then the programming will just go back to the stock PCM programming. If the chip is bad the truck should start. Either way I would leave the chip out until its up and running.
Will do! I wasnt sure if I pulled the chip, if I was gonna lose all the fuel tables and maps for it. Knowing that I can de-chip it and go from there is awesome!

As for an update.. What a nightmare!!! I went to a variety of autoparts shops looking to get a new computer, after seeing brand new they are around $130. Problem being, order and shipping time. Many of them will get it to me next week.. Not working on my schedule. I had serious issues with the rocket scientists at Autozone.. They wouldnt get me any info unless I provided a VIN. Problem being.. the engine and computer are from the donor truck, which has been recylced into a park bench or something, along with all the paperwork!

So I went to the dealership here. I originally hit the first parts guy up for the computer.. $580.. I think not! I told I needed a moment to think over that price.. he walked away from the counter leaving me to wonder.. I asked to speak to the head service tech supervisor here. The service manager was really patient and helpful with me. She went over the codes and process I went through to trouble shoot the problem. The final code (P1663) I told her about. She went online through the Ford Service Tech manuals and info, found that its the IDM that has failed. Good news.. TJ's advice with the chip out can be tested with some promise, and I will need to get a new IDM. I am not going through the dealership on that one.. $1140 is what they want for one, and it takes 2 weeks to ship. I have another source down here I am going to tap and see where it goes from there.. I will keep ya'll updated! Thank you all for the help!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Posting Guru

More info..

Thought I would share the video of its first start too..
[IMG]******** width="425" height="344">*********>[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
Chris, seems to me that I might have an extra one. When I did the 140v mod I got an extra in case I screwed up the IDM. I'll look in the bottom of my tool box.
The Mare 97 dually cc, s366 turbo, stage II's, IC, studs, springs, rods, JW auto, 4:10 LS, efuel, FS2500 bypass oil filter, HVHF IDM, IH WP, 6.0 trans cooler & fan, MBRP 4", SD dual tensioner, AFE intake, 220 amp alt, 38G rear tank, soundproofed, 3 TS chips
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Posting Guru

Ok Glenn! I appreciate it! By any chance, an extra PCM too, just in case, LOL!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Post Fiend

Chris, I do have an extra, extra. Want me to ship it to you? PCM?? Ya, and there is almost a full moon out too! LOL
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

Thank you Glenn.. I will PM about it all..

Good news UPDATE: The IDM was bad! I found a loaner, put it in.. She runs soooooo Nicely!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Post Fiend

Way to go!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2006, 450, 73, 97, circuit, crank, dit, f350, fails, fault, fdcs, ford, hot, p0334, start, truck, wont