Sponsored by: DP Tuner

GEAR SELECTOR

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:20 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GEAR SELECTOR

I have noticed that I have to hold my gear selector towards park to get the reverse lights to come on. Also some times I have to hold it towards park to get it to start. I changed my tranny in Dec 2009 and occasionally it would do this while starting, just noticed the reverse lights about a week ago. Tried moving the cable where it attaches to the tranny a couple of serations each direction. no help. Is there another place I can make an adjustment?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymut
I have noticed that I have to hold my gear selector towards park to get the reverse lights to come on. Also some times I have to hold it towards park to get it to start. I changed my tranny in Dec 2009 and occasionally it would do this while starting, just noticed the reverse lights about a week ago. Tried moving the cable where it attaches to the tranny a couple of serations each direction. no help. Is there another place I can make an adjustment?
If you look under the dash while laying your head down by the pedals you will see a small wire that runs out of the dash. You should find a **** wheel that you can adjust with your hands which will allow you to tighten up the slack on the indicator.

Took me a minute to find it but once you can locate it, you will find it rather self explanatory.

I had the same problem with a loose indicator and the adjusting wheel under the dash solved all my problems. However, I too, went under the truck first and played with the line at the transmission before getting on FTE.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Got a pic? I know mine could use some tightening.

Stewart

Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually it is the trans sel switch on trans. Mine went bad and even mad it hard to shift. I also had the same problem with starting. You can adjust it from under the truck. But the way you adjust it is with the truck in drive disconntect the cable at trans ....per manual but I don't remember the rest.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

I tried adjusting at the trans, did not help. Will look at it more tomorrow and try to get a pic up.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
It could be the switch on trans I had to replace mine. It controls back up lights and the no start problem you are having. Put in drive disconnect cable at switch on trans then on trans switch move it to park ( on trans and leave shifter in drive) and count clicks back to drive and then hook up cable. I'll double check service manual tomorrow. Also with cable disconnected put trans in reverse and see if back up lights come on. And try park with cable disconnected to see if it starts. If not I'll bet it is the switch on trans TSS. Good luck. But whatever you do don't try to set cable with it in park. You'll have a hard time getting it right. That is why I went to the manual. Good luck

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The switch on the trans is worn and has slop in it. The dial under the dash will only adjust the little indicator. Line the one up on the trans using the method BadDogKuzz mentioned. This will make sure the trans is fully in gear when the lever on the steering wheel is in the proper detent.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Look under the steering column. There are two Torx head bolts that hold the shifter tube to the column. These can loosen up and make the shifter handle very sloppy.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Got a pic? I know mine could use some tightening.

Stewart
I just went back and checked through all of my pictures but could not find one of this wheel. If you peak under there with a light it wont be hard to find.

With the parking brake engaged and the truck not running you could turn the ignition and have someone move the selector while you look under the dash. As soon as you trace the cable, you will find the adjusting wheel.

Sorry I don't have a picture.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
This site is great and horrible at the same time, helps with problems i have and problems i never payed attention to and i learn to fix them, thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Here's a link to what Mark was talking about, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...t-linkage.html

Here's one for the adjustment of the linkage, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...djustment.html

Here's a pic of the thumbwheel which will just adjust the pointer once the trans is verified to be in the correct gear, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-the-mark.html

Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Look under the steering column. There are two Torx head bolts that hold the shifter tube to the column. These can loosen up and make the shifter handle very sloppy.
I love me some pictures, and just fixed this the other day. Made starting in Park a crapshoot. Now... no issues with starting, but after 188k+ miles, I need to replace the bushings.

Also, to tighten these there is no need to remove any panels. Just lay on the floorboard with a light and 3/8" ratchet, 3" or 6" extension on it, and a T30 torx bit, and snug them up. I'll be loosening them up (one at a time) and putting some Blue loctite on each one.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by papadelogan
I love me some pictures, and just fixed this the other day. Made starting in Park a crapshoot. Now... no issues with starting, but after 188k+ miles, I need to replace the bushings.

Also, to tighten these there is no need to remove any panels. Just lay on the floorboard with a light and 3/8" ratchet, 3" or 6" extension on it, and a T30 torx bit, and snug them up. I'll be loosening them up (one at a time) and putting some Blue loctite on each one.
Great pic. Does tightening those bolts take care of gear selector chatter? I will have to check the switch at the trans also, with cable disconnected.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by crazymut
Great pic. Does tightening those bolts take care of gear selector chatter? I will have to check the switch at the trans also, with cable disconnected.
Mine didn't "chatter" as in make noise, but then I always have the stereo on . It definitely did make gear selection MUCH better. 1 bolt was out about 1/16th", the other was out 1/4"!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:07 PM
skoepper
Freshman User
Love this site - this has been bugging me for a few months now - fixed in less than 15 seconds after searching on here.

Quick Reply: GEAR SELECTOR