1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just bought 49 F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
CrazyDog66
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought 49 F1

I don't have if home yet. It's 6cyl 3 spd, minimal rust mostly original. It ran when the original owner garaged it in 1999. I want to try to get it running but think the carb might need rebuilt, where can I get parts?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,103 Likes on 819 Posts
Double post

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,103 Likes on 819 Posts
Welcome to the board, sounds like you have good base truck to start with.

You can get parts for your truck at many places. First start with a good, local auto parts house like a NAPA store, you'd be surprised at what a good parts house has for your truck, if they don't have it they can usually order it and get it in a day or two, some times less. Stay away from the cut rate chain stores. You'll spend 15 minutes standing there while the kid behind the counter punches keys on a computer key board to only tell you a '49 Ford truck didn't come with an "air conditioner" condenser when you asked for a condenser, forgetting to clarify you're looking for an ignition condenser.

If a local store doesn't have the part you can try many of the reproduction parts sellers. Dennis Carpenter, www.dennis-carpenter.com , is the big one, along with Bob Drake, www.bobdrake.com . Many other places sell their parts like Mac's Auto, www.macsauto.com. LMC Truck, www.lmctruck.com, is another source but be careful, some times their on-line catalog is quite right with parts applications. Do a Google search the might be a local reproduction parts distributor nearby.

Also, one more thing that will help you on FTE, post your location in the upper right side of your post. You can do this by going back into the window you used to register, the Control Panel, or "User CP". This comes in handy in the even you're looking for something or help, there could be a member in close proximity to you that can help out.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
CrazyDog66
Freshman User
Thanks for for the info. I know what you mean about the cut rate places, I'm almost done with the resto of my 66 Mustang that I have had since 1991.
I would go to the cut rates for tune up parts, I'd get frustrated with those kids and computer I would go to the old school parts house anf the parts guy would go back and grab my parts. No questions, no computer, parts book just knowledge.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
Welcome!! If your truck truly was running in 1999 when it was parked, you might have an outside shot of that flathead not being stuck. Look your electrical system over (including the points, condensor, distributor, and solenoid). If they all look halfway decent, get yourself a new 6 volt battery (assuming it was never converted to 12 volt--don't forget about the positive ground). Drain the gas tank (should be a valve under the cab) and clean the fuel bowl. If all of that looks halfway decent and the starter turns over, I'll bet five bucks you can get it started with some tinkering. Shop manuals are for sale on ebay (about 35 bucks). It will help you greatly. The guys here can help you fix pretty much anything.

EDIT: I noticed your comments about the parts houses and the computers after I submitted this post. That's why I usually use NAPA or Advance if I have to use one of the big stores. You can literally look the parts up yourself on their website and walk in with the part number you need.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM
My Ford Truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by CrazyDog66
I don't have if home yet. It's 6cyl 3 spd, minimal rust mostly original. It ran when the original owner garaged it in 1999. I want to try to get it running but think the carb might need rebuilt, where can I get parts?
Welcome!

And post pictures when you get it home. Even those of us who can't help you a lot love pictures!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
post pics of the mustang too.. so we can see what kind of work you can do... and welcome to the board...

Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
CrazyDog66
Freshman User
My mustang is my baby, it was my high school car so lots of memories. I really wasn't ready for another project yet but this truck was too good a deal to pass up. I was going to get aa flathead v8 and build it then look for a truck, but the truck came first, it'll have a v8 one day.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM
49m47
Mountain Pass
Welcome fellow 49er. As others have mentioned Pictures say it all. I've had good luck with the discount parts boys. You just need to know what you need, what it looks like or better yet I try to always take the old part with me. I was able to get a good rebuild kit for my carb and what really surprised me, I was able to get a rebuild kit for my brake master cylinder. I've also learned what sales person to go to and which ones to stay away from.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Another bonus built saved!!! It is a good day. Welcome to FTE.

These guys know about as much as anybody so they are good people to ask. Don't forget the pictures and the updates. We all enjoy the sharing of a project.

jim

Last edited by hellfirejim; 02-01-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: I reached 200 posts, amazing!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM
CrazyDog66
Freshman User
Just waiting for my trailer to get here, then we will go get my new
F1!!
I'll post some pics later.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Grats on the find. Looking forward to the pics and welcome to FTE

Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Yeah sorry, welcome to FTE. My Manners went on vacation...... It looks like you have the affliction strong enough that you will fit in just fine.

jim

Last edited by hellfirejim; 02-04-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: can't type and think.....
Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
CrazyDog66
Freshman User
Sorry guys,
I've been meaning to get some pics up but,
I work for the State normally days, but when it snows I have to plow snow from 5pm to 5 am, it really screws up my schedule.
I brought my F1 home on Friday and it has been snowing since.
I've been dying to crawl all over my truck to see what I actually got and what needs to be done but alas.
The PO said it was a 226 6 cyl w/ a 3 spd. But the tranny is a 4 speed, I guess he didn't count granny.
I've seen lots of V8 parts but not too many I6 regular or speed parts, how available are they?
Thisd weekend it is supposed to be in the 60s so maybe I can spend some quality time with my new F1. I'll post pics then.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Go into your profile and fill in where you are from. With 60 degree weather we get a good idea but snowing and then 60 degree weather could mean about any where any more.

Look forward to the pictures.

jim

Quick Reply: Just bought 49 F1