Sponsored by:

damn shift!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Daviddc114
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn shift!!!

Hey guys, been a long time since I posted last, but I gotta figure this out once and for all.. Ever since I bought my x, the shift has been screwed up.when I bought it, it wouldn't even start in park. I had to put it in neutral because it wouldn't go in park.. I've tightened the tork screws and adjusted the linkage, and this made it possible to go into park and start normal, but this truck had never shifted nice and smooth, I wouldn't say its loose and sloppy, more too much resistance, too tight.. So over last summer, after driving my friends f350 and being jeleous of how smoothly and easily it shifted, I decided to fix my shift once and for all. So i went to ford, and bought a new linkage cable, and I bought every piece in the column that had to do with the shift. The shift tube, the bar inside it, pin, everything. About 200 dollars later, it was better but still tight. Ugh.. So I got agrivated and left it at that.. After time it was just as bad as before. Now with all the snow we been getting in rhode island, she wont go into park again!! This time I'm thinking there's just snow under on the linkage but still, I want my shifter to shift smooth.. I mean its really hard to shift, so hard a few months ago I broke the end of the shifter off. The part with the button on it.. Everyone someone gets in my truck they can't figure out how to shift it. It sucks because I'm constantly making sure I'm in the right gear I want because its so hard to shift sometimes you go right by the gear you want. I did notice something, I can almost never get it into 1, and if I adjust it so I can, than its harder to go into park.. Here is my question, the lever on the transmission, the lever the linkage attaches to. I believe its called manual control lever, is this supposed to be easy to move through the gears by hand? I noticed when I was under there adjusting the cable, that its very hard to move. I don't know if I should change this piece, or change the entire column? Any ideas?? Has anyone changed the manual control lever before? Looks like you have to remove the pan to get out out? Anyone??

Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
This sounds like an odd issue.

Does it shift easily when the truck is turned off?
Have you looked at the brake pedal lock out mechanism? Make sure it is not sticking because the truck thinks the brake pedal is not depressed. It could be you're fighting a stuck solenoid that keeps you from shifting without your foot on the brake from/to park.

If none of that, then follow this:

First, disconnect the shift cable and see if the column shifts smooth. (see decision trees below and block your tires to keep it from rolling when doing this)

If if does shift smooth at the column, then you know it is either the cable or the linkage at the transmission.
If you can slide the shift linkage cable easily by hand the it is not the cable.
It is then isolated to the tranny. Talk to a good Ford tranny shop to see if they have ideas.

If it is not easy to shift, then it is in the column.
If it is in the column, disconnect the next part up from the shift linkage cable and proceed to do so until you find the point it gets easy to shift.
It could be something bent or damaged in the column. This may take time to find but since you know the problem would be in there some where, you could consider just getting a new column.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
I tried that before but the problem is once you disconnect the linkage at the transmission, the shift just kinda drops lose, there is no resistance to see if it shifts ok because it is just completely lose, that being said, that's why I think it may be the lever on the transmission, I just can't find any information or any repair procedures to see exactly what's involved. As for the brake switch, I did check to make sure that was not the issue. Don't you just love that repair manuals seem to show you every repair except the one you need!!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM
CrzHelm
Senior User
its the neutral safety switch. the black little box on the tranny with the plug harness on it and it's connected to the end of your shifter cable. change it. its a common problem. the guy at ford shouldve told you that. Make sure you block the wheels or use parking brake if you work on that. the truck could roll away on you.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Daviddc114
Senior User
The neutral safety switch could make it hard to shift??

Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM
jejenkins417
Senior User
I have the same issue as original poster, except it doesn't have issues starting in park. The shift selector is very stiff and hard to change, but have just gotten used to it. Not sloppy, just stiff.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
well it broke today, was putting it in gear and you know the 2 torx screws that usually get loose, well i snapped mine right in half becasue i have to pull down so hard to get the damn truck in gear. anyways i am sick of messin around with this thing so i ordered a new column from an 05 with 25k on it. ill let you all know the verdict once i get it in the mail and install it. the problem has to be eaither the column or i just threw away 165 dollars and i have a transmission problem. problem is i can not find any removal instructions on the manual control lever on the transmission!! anyone ever put one of these steering columns in before? anything i should watch out for??

Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by jejenkins417
I have the same issue as original poster, except it doesn't have issues starting in park. The shift selector is very stiff and hard to change, but have just gotten used to it. Not sloppy, just stiff.
Check this thread....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-shifter.html

Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
CrzHelm
Senior User
Originally Posted by Daviddc114
The neutral safety switch could make it hard to shift??
yes exactly. my lever was stiff too. almost felt like something was ready to break pulling it out of park into drive. It took 5 minutes and a new neutral saftey switch and it now feels like brand new. I also tightened those screws on the column which removed the slop on the lever.
look on ebay search "excursion neutral saftey" my ford dealer knew right away when i asked what problem could be.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
where is this located? is it attached to the column itself? hopefully it will come with my column i ordered, if not id like to get one, was it expensive?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
oh i see you already explained location.. was this an expensive part?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 AM
CrzHelm
Senior User
its around 50 look on ebay
go under your truck and unhook the cable. then in your truck shift into different gears. it should move with little effort. if thats the case then theres nothing wrong with your column or cable. please use the brake or a wheel block before messing with this.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
cap_nut
New User
Transmission won't go into "Park"

Well whaddaya know! Therew was a small rock stuck between my Neutral Safety Switch on my 2002 X, preventing the lever from being able to go into "Park". I could not see it until I removed the switch! Happened yesterday while I was on gravel roads. The forum sure helped me to get around to the problem - look for this! I have a photo if someone will help me find a place to post it.