Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing out the rotor on 1996 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
dfronek
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing out the rotor on 1996 F150 4x4

Hi, I'm new to the forum as of today. Lots of good info on here. What brought me here was I needed to change out the rotor on my 96 F150 4x4 with lock outs. I found alot of info on here and it helped alot, but did notice some misinformation on some sites and here as to how the rotor comes off. What I've read is after taking the brake caliper off the rotor should slide right off but may need some persuasion with a BFH, gotta tell ya, it'll take an awful big one. What I found is the hub needs to come off because the rotor is behind the hub.As seen in this pic.

To get it off you follow the normal procedure by taking the screws out of the lock out cap and slid that off. Then take the outer snap ring off that is on the outer edge but just inside the hub. Then the snap ring on the inside around the spline. Once those 2 snap rings are out you can take and screw 2 screws back into there holes that held the lock out cap on and use them to pull the remainder of the lock out hub out.Then pull out the washers behind that. After that being I didnt have a wrench to remove the round nut, I took a screwdriver and inserted it in the notches on the nut and gently tapped the nut loose in a counter clockwise direction, then it turned easily off. Next I pulled the washer behind it out, then did the same with the inside nut, then the washer behind that comes out. Now the whole hub an rotor will slide off together as 1 piece.If it comes hard just move it up and down a bit while pulling, it'll come off. You can find this info on this site so I'm not going to get into the bearing and races replacement and packing. My main thing is to show how the rotor comes off the hub. Here's the pic of the whole assembly off, I know the rotor is completely toast.

Now that its off, I took and laid it down with the hub up and put the lug nuts on the studs and pounded them out.

Once the studs are out you can hold on to the hub and hit the rotor with a hammer to get it to come off, alternating from side to side.
Here's what it looks like once you get it started.

And this is what it looks like apart.

The new rotor is put back on the hub by lining up the holes on the rotor and hub and driving the studs back in, the hub is splined in the stud holes the rotor is not.

If these directions are already on the forum somewhere my apologies, but just couldn't find this little bit of info for taking the rotor off, everything I found sounded like the rotor slide off over the hub when the hub is still attached to the spindle. Hope this helps.