1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Got my 84 back but have some questions now

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my 84 back but have some questions now

Hello everyone. Well after 5 years I finally bought my 84 back off my brother in law. So now I want to make it a reliable driver again. What I have is an 84 F150, I6 with the feelback carb, and 3 speed (2 speed + overdrive) trans.
First things first, I need to do something about the electronics and carb. I figure Duraspark for the electronics but not sure about the carb problem. Been debating on whether to go 2v or 4v or step up to a EFI setup. So what would be the best?
Next question, what would be a good replacement for the trans? Would like and AOD but a 4 or 5 speed with overdrive would be ok to. Just looking for easiest install and reliable
Thanks
Keith

Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First of all, if you have the 3 speed auto, it's not an overdrive. Instead, it's the legendary C6. Going to an AOD or 4/5 speed manual with OD would be a step down in transmission strength. The only 5 speed to even come close to the C6 for durability is the ZF, and you're gonna spend big bucks to swap one in.

As for the carb, the easiest/cheapest swap would be a non-feedback 1bbl. That would bolt onto the stock intake, and is designed to work rather well with the DS2 ignition. Of course, it will never set any speed records. Any other carb choice would require a different intake. There are adapters to fit a 2bbl on the stock intake, but they are nostly just a waste of time/money.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply. It's not an auto trans, it's a 3 speed manual floor shift with 3rd being overdrive. I have no idea what trans it is but is factory original.
As for the card was thinking about a 2 or 4 with a aftermarket manifold. I really like the 2150/2v and 390 Qjet/4v carbs but not sure if EFI wouldn't be better in the long run.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
I have also been looking at a DUI dizzy for it's simplicity, has anyone done one? What all does the Duraspark control?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Ok, so I misread that. 'Pologize.
However, there's still something not quite right. There was no such thing as a 2 speed + OD manual trans in the 80-86 model range. Sounds more like a 3 speed with tall rear gears, which were very commonly found under 300 powered trucks. Of course, the 3 speed was a column shift, while all floor shift manuals were 4 speed, either granny + 3, or 3 + OD. The repair parts are nearly non existant for the column shift, so it was likely converted to a floor shift.
Regardless, the current 3 speed is still likely more reliable than either the 4 or 5 speed OD units that finally took it's place as the "base" trans.
The 4 speed OD has near the same 1-3 gear ratio spread your current trans has, but then throws in an additional OD gear. With the tall gearing common found under a 300 powered truck, OD would almost be too much for anything less than flat hiways.
The 5 Speed is a decent unit, but has a few minor drawbacks. They have rubber plugs that tend to crack and leak. Since this trans uses AFT, it can leak out rather quickly, making it very easy to destroy the trans before even knowing there is a problem. Also has an internal slave, requires dropping the trans to repair/replace.

As for aftermarket intake/carb setups, the Offy DP and either a holley 390 or edelbrock 500 seem to be popular choices. The holley typically needs extensive tuning to work best, while the edelbrock seems to be more "plug and play", but it really depends on your local climate and area, along with personal preference.

I can't answer the DUI questions. Not familiar with it.
The duraspark system has plenty of added features inside it, assuming it is a genuine motorcraft box. Short list of highlights, sends 12V to coil during startup for hotter spark, retards timing a bit for improved hot-start cranking, and mounts rather far from the hot engine to improve cooling. I don't know if the DUI has any of those items designed into it.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply. Well can't dispute the 3od but it is a top shifted floor shift 3sp with hydrolic clutch, truck never had a column shift.. The numbers on it are RF E4TR7006 AA if that helps. The friend I got it from originally got it from his brother in law that got it new. That's where I got that it was a 3od trans.

The DUI is basically a GM style HEI unit. Nice thing is 1 wire hookup. Just trying to find out everything I can before I start changing things. What I want is a truck that is reliable and can be driven anywhere. I know I could always go buy a newer truck but this one kinda has sentimental value to, and heck anyone can buy a new truck..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Shift pattern?
R 2
1 3

Old 01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
The pattern is
1 3
2 R

Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kedwinh
The pattern is
1 3
2 R
Officially stumped.........

Doesn't happen that often, but when it does, I will admit to it.

I have never seen any 3 speed with a shift pattern like that. Let alone in an 80-86 F150, factory.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Well I don't feel so bad now. I haven't either but not that familiar with Fords, more of a Jeep man. And I haven't been able to find out anything about tranny options or specs for 84 either. I know it's an F150 Explorer and has the overdrive badge on the tailgate. I do believe everything is original equipment, and allot rebuilt.
But have been thinking about a V8/AOD with EFI. Just having a hard time talking myself into pulling the 300.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
There was the 4 speed OD (3 + OD) that had a similar pattern.
1 3
2 OD R
And the HD 4 speed (L+3) with
L 2
1 3 R

The only OD trans that I've ever seen/heard of in 80-86 F series trucks (factory) was the AOD and the 3 + OD manual. Both generally got the "overdrive" badge on the tailgate. Are you sure it doesn't have another gear? The 4OD has a rather big split between 2 and 3. Almost enough to make a person think it's OD, especially when paired with tall rear gears.

Personally, I'd never swap a 300 for a 302. Too much work for very little (if any) gain. Going to EFI would would not only complicate things, but could get costly as well.
You want a simple, dependable system, go DS2 ignition and non-feedback carb. Those were used for years with great results. Before the DS2 ignition, there was the old breaker point system that was paired with the same basic carb. Aside from points/condensor changes and shorter plug life, that was just as reliable as the DS2.