1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86 300 i6 chugging&backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 PM
eton420
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 300 i6 chugging&backfiring

Heres a video I just took of my truck, this is on the way home from the store, about a 10minute drive one way I'd say, so it had some time to warm up.

YouTube - Video 4

the constant clicking sound for the most part is rocks/debris from the road bein shot up and hitting the metal wheelwell things from what I can tell.

But the problem I am bringing up is if you listen to it, you can hear the carb chugging real hard as im going along, usually its when im on the pedal and its fine if im idiling up to a light or something like that. But it also backfires every now and then (like 8 times or so on my ride to and from the store.)

Just wondering if it's only the fact that my air intake bottom half of the housing came loose and broke is the only reason why its chugging along like that and definately can feel when you hit the pedal it isnt accelerating as hard as it should be, but it isnt THATT bad of a loss. just wondering what else it could possibly be, if anything? the air intake is completely off in this video. hoping to get a re-routing piping to air filter intake closer to the battery or something since its almost impossible to find a new intake housing or an aftermarket one that will fit to my knowledge here.

Any info helps! and of course driving with no air intake ontop the carb is a bad idea haha just am wondering if it could be something else?

thanks, probaly going to get alot of flame for this, but doesnt hurt to ask anyways i guess

eton420

Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eton420
Heres a video I just took of my truck, this is on the way home from the store, about a 10minute drive one way I'd say, so it had some time to warm up.

the constant clicking sound for the most part is rocks/debris from the road bein shot up and hitting the metal wheelwell things from what I can tell.

But the problem I am bringing up is if you listen to it, you can hear the carb chugging real hard as im going along, usually its when im on the pedal and its fine if im idiling up to a light or something like that. But it also backfires every now and then (like 8 times or so on my ride to and from the store.)

Just wondering if it's only the fact that my air intake bottom half of the housing came loose and broke is the only reason why its chugging along like that and definately can feel when you hit the pedal it isnt accelerating as hard as it should be, but it isnt THATT bad of a loss. just wondering what else it could possibly be, if anything? the air intake is completely off in this video. hoping to get a re-routing piping to air filter intake closer to the battery or something since its almost impossible to find a new intake housing or an aftermarket one that will fit to my knowledge here.

Any info helps! and of course driving with no air intake ontop the carb is a bad idea haha just am wondering if it could be something else?

thanks, probaly going to get alot of flame for this, but doesnt hurt to ask anyways i guess

eton420
No flames from me.

Under the carb you've got a spacer like the one here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wyowanderer/5310657909/

Is the valve I'm pointing to broken or leaking? Is the hose it's attached to broken/ have a hole in it?
Also, check the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. If they're shot, replace them with a Mr Gasket #260 BUT don't change them unless they are.
Pics from under the hood might help.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Pull the codes

Has your truck been converted to a DSII ignition? If not, I'll bet you have the infamous
feedback carb & EEC IV ignition.

IOW I'll bet your engine is computer-controlled, in which case you should be able to ask the
computer what it thinks is happening.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:09 PM
77h0t_r0d_wrecker
Senior User
Just watched your video. Sounds like the engine is missing to me. My I6 sounds COMPLETELY different, but it used to sound like yours...

I pulled all of the plugs, some were sooty-er (nice word i know) than others. New plugs, wires, I checked the timing, adjusted it to 10* BTDC, and adjusted the idle. Runs like a champ.

In your case though, fix what is wrong first and then see what happens

EDIT: Of course I removed ALL emissions, converted to a points ignition, and installed a non-feedback 1bbl carb. The above info can still apply to you though

Last edited by 77h0t_r0d_wrecker; 01-01-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
eton420
New User
So i pulled all the plugs, they were reaallly sooty, wires were arcing somewhat when the motor was running and i looked closely during the night. So I replaced all plugs wires,cap and rotor and now all the knocking and pinging and just overall bad sounding when its running is for the most part gone, I threw the broken air intake back on for now figuring its better to have some of a filter than none at all. I re-attached the manual choke which helps, but it still makes a chugging sound as im accelerating and such. May just be because the rubber seal/gasket your talking about that is suppose to be ontop of the carb butterfly(?) and the intake housing, isnt there. lol.

And yeah all the emissions or most of them are removed from my truck also lol and with the whole EEC-IV and DSII is something im still learning about, so im not entirely sure which or anything on those. But I can have some pictures and another video up here soon to show you guys the difference now with the tune up.

It very well could be a bad ignition (EEC-IV or DSII whichever one) I guess ill have to get some pictures up of under the hood and maybe another video now.

ps: i warn you ahead of time to not laugh too hard when you see all the wiring in the truck, i promise the only thing i did was tape the exposed connector ends lol.

thanks though everyone, and especially thanks for no flames, yet

will keep you posted

Old 01-01-2011, 04:11 PM
ctubutis
Show us close-ups of your carb & distributor.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 AM
eton420
New User
it seems to be running fine now, doesnt backfire, miss or knock or ping anymore but it does sometimes still chug along, but it doesnt seem too out of the ordinary i guess. I think the plugs and wires and all were bad, cause its stopped since those have all been replaced. Will still get pictures of my carb and distributor up, but its dark so that will have to wait till a little later.

Only problem now is that after driving for a few minutes my clock starts to go really dim same with my headlights, my turn signals inside and on the dash stop working and the radio starts getting choppy with cutting on/off music. I checked for voltage terminal to terminal it read at 9.08 once I got home finally. I then waited a second and did it again, and it was at 9.12, so after sitting there for a while I watched it go from 9.08 to 10.45 and thats when i left it. Its going slow, about .01 every 3 seconds id say, but it is reading an increase in voltage terminal to terminal.

Not sure why my lights and all my electrical starts to dim out, even when the lights and clock and such seem to dim, the motor seems fine, the plugs dont seem to get an error in sparking or anything, so it must be something with the electrical accessories something i guess?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
ctubutis
The ignition generally runs on something around 7V and won't be affected like the rest of your stuff.

This sounds like an alternator/regulator/wiring problem, read and do the stuff here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9426121

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
eton420
New User
yeah had it tested at autozone, voltage was too low on battery to test alternator so we tightened up the alt. belt (had too much play) then it was charing the battery, fast, so we tested it and the diods checked out okay, said reg voltage low though. but then it charges the battery fine and the truck runs fine but as soon as you go to turn on the lights, it drops about 2v, and stops charging. hmmm..

and i have to take a 865mile trip to orlando tomarrow too LOL. I'm readin up on that link now man im thinking its maybe a short too, i dont THINK the alt is bad, its a fairly new (re-manufactured?) one