1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

CA Smog/emissions Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:50 AM
7DF250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA Smog/emissions Guru's

I picked up an 86 F350 CC with the 460. It is non catalyist and other than EGR and smog pump and the vacume and charcoal cannisters I can see no other emissions equipment on this thing. It is 100% factory stock. I plan on a carb rebuild(by a pro) and full fluid change then head to the smog test.

If I have a smog pump don't I also need the air injection lines on the exhaust manifolds?

It has the dual exhaust that becomes single at the muffler, can I legally put true duals on it here in CA?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The info you need is on the emissions control lable in the engine compartment. It will show the air-pump in the diagram if it has one.

As for true dual exaust? California won't let you do it. It has to have the same exact exaust system as it came from the factory. Replacement parts excluded of course, but they have to be either exact like factory original, and/or CARB approved, and routed exactly like it was stock.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Yes, believe it or not, modifying the exhaust will affect the operation of the EGR valve because of it's design.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 AM
7DF250
Elder User
I dont see any emissions lable or info anywhere. So would it be ok to go with a single 3" instead of the funky dual into one set up?

I am mostly worried about the missing AIR injection parts on the exhaust manifolds, I was told if I had a smog pump I should have those but I don't. The Chiltons book that came with it is beat and missing several pages so it is no help, I just want to make sure I don't waste a trip and $$ on a failed smog test. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 AM
beetle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 F250 460 Ca. emissions.......I have dual exhausts and it has never caused issue during smog inspections, however, a carb that is out of adjustment (idle mixture screws) has been the biggest stumbling block when trying to pass an emissions test. A half turn in the wrong direction will bring a No Pass. I have it down to a science now. Simply turn the front primary screws "in" half a turn before a test and it passes with ease, turn them back out when I get home for a smooth idle.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
As for true dual exaust? California won't let you do it. It has to have the same exact exaust system as it came from the factory. Replacement parts excluded of course, but they have to be either exact like factory original, and/or CARB approved, and routed exactly like it was stock.
This is incorrect. His 85 is a non-catalyst year, so exhaust is pretty much wide open, he just to adhere to noise pollution laws.

In fact, you can install headers on cars that did not come originally equipped with cats so long as they maintain the original emissions provisions (AIR).

Old 12-15-2010, 04:58 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shark Racer
This is incorrect. His 85 is a non-catalyst year, so exhaust is pretty much wide open, he just to adhere to noise pollution laws.

In fact, you can install headers on cars that did not come originally equipped with cats so long as they maintain the original emissions provisions (AIR).
You are incorrect, you can install headers on trucks equipped with cats as well, as long as they have a CARB EO number for the modification. Then you can get an exemption. Then if only the refferee alows it, IE: it doesn't polute anymore than stock equipment.

The exaust isn't as wide open as you think. Some of these trucks have a backpressure EGR valve as Franklin mentioned. And as I mentioned before, the aftermarket parts have to be CARB approved. Then it's off to the refferee to decide your fate... This may not affect you with smog check one, but for smog check two areas, it could be quite a obstical.

Check the CARB website.

Welcome to the California Air Resources Board
Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
You are incorrect, you can install headers on trucks equipped with cats as well, as long as they have a CARB EO number for the modification. Then you can get an exemption. Then if only the refferee alows it, IE: it doesn't polute anymore than stock equipment.

The exaust isn't as wide open as you think. Some of these trucks have a backpressure EGR valve as Franklin mentioned. And as I mentioned before, the aftermarket parts have to be CARB approved. Then it's off to the refferee to decide your fate... This may not affect you with smog check one, but for smog check two areas, it could be quite a obstical.

Check the CARB website.

Welcome to the California Air Resources Board
Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders
I don't know when I said you *couldn't* put headers on a catalyst-equipped vehicle. What I meant to imply was that you didn't need an EO on a non-catalyst equipped vehicle.

Again, *anything* in the exhaust system(behind the headers) is wide-open on a non-catalyst car. You can put headers on there as long as the original emissions connections are maintained - EGR / A.I.R., heat riser, etc, whatever the car came with.

It does not have to work perfectly. It *does* have to pass the sniffer. So if your exhaust messes up the backpressure powered EGR valve and you fail NOX emissions, you'll have to figure something out.

I don't need to browse the CARB web-site, my first car was a 78 Corvette and I've had to live with their B.S. for the last 11 years. I'm pretty up on it.

And yes, it was a long night when the governator froze the rolling exemption...

At any rate, IMO, it's not worth the hassle to go to dual exhaust. I'd much rather build a true 2.5" setup that goes into a single 3" at the muffler.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Now I'll agree with that, if its got CARB compliant parts.

And yes, it was a long night when the governator froze the rolling exemption...
I'm still dealing with their BS. My truck just turned 30, so on the old laws I wouldn't need a smog check this coming year. That still makes me irrate at this state.

I agree that, that should have never happened. I doubt his predicessor changes it back either.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 PM
7DF250
Elder User
Thanks for all the input, but does anyone know what the AIR tubes on the exhaust manifolds are part of? I have gotten conflicting answers from my mechanic and reading up on an emissions book he gave me. I have a smog pump, does that have anything to do with AIR tubes on the manifolds?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 7DF250
Thanks for all the input, but does anyone know what the AIR tubes on the exhaust manifolds are part of? I have gotten conflicting answers from my mechanic and reading up on an emissions book he gave me. I have a smog pump, does that have anything to do with AIR tubes on the manifolds?
If you have a smog pump, you should have AIR tubes on the manifold to hook up to them. It basically injects regular air into the exhaust, to allow any unburnt fuel to have more air with which to combust.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
With non-catalyst the air-pump (smog pump) is indeed just hooked into the exaust. With some it's only hooked into the exaust manifold ports. Others it's hooked in downstream in the header pipe right after or close to the header. Unlike catalyst systems they do not have switching between the exaust and the catalytic converter obviously.

Why the emissions lable is so important. If it's missing, I'd recommend trying to find one for a 1986 non-catalyst 460 in the junkyard. This will save you headache with the smog techs.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
squidMaurin
New User
old thread, i know- but i have abit of useful info here:

on my 86 f250, 460 CC, i have an air pump, but the AIR tubes are plugged into the rear of the heads. Theoretically, this allows me to install headers as the parts do not alter the OE smog equimpment. This vehicle does not have a cat, but i did not modify the exhaust piping other than a custom section to connect the new headers to the existing pipes. The headers went in because i had a warped manifold and there was no way i was going to pay ford for a new one.

Smog guy has asked me for a carb EO number for my headers before- i just quote CARB replacement parts guideline:

Headers
Non-Catalytic Converter Equipped Vehicles

Headers for non-catalyst equipped vehicles are considered legal replacement parts as long the replacement header allows for the installation of all smog control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust manifold. Depending on the vehicle, some of the equipment that would normally be attached to the exhaust manifold includes:
  • Air Injectors
  • Heat Shields for the Thermostatic Air Cleaner
  • Heat Risers
  • EGR System Hookups
  • Fuel Evaporation Systems
Replacement Parts Guidelines - Aftermarket, Performance and Add-On Parts Regulations

Old 03-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by squidMaurin
Headers
Non-Catalytic Converter Equipped Vehicles

Headers for non-catalyst equipped vehicles are considered legal replacement parts as long the replacement header allows for the installation of all smog control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust manifold. Depending on the vehicle, some of the equipment that would normally be attached to the exhaust manifold includes:
  • Air Injectors
  • Heat Shields for the Thermostatic Air Cleaner
  • Heat Risers
  • EGR System Hookups
  • Fuel Evaporation Systems
Replacement Parts Guidelines - Aftermarket, Performance and Add-On Parts Regulations
Yep. You got it. Thanks for posting!