Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha - I didn't pay attention - yep this is an old thread - dead and gone

Old 01-21-2016, 01:17 PM
DeafGerman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoL, then I am --->

I hope someone else will answer for me then!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:23 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DeafGerman
Question about how you said upgrade some area for 6.0, is it nesscarry to upgrade if not towing at all, or tow a 3,000 lbs RV, 3 times a year?? Since if the heat is an issue, must be coming from towing?? Please ;let me know because I have been looking either 02 7.3 or 05 6.0 and planning to upgrade in some area. Thanks!
If you know nothing about 6.0 diesels, then just buy the 7.3 and you'll be happy. If you want to educate yourself, there's a ton of material to read- I'd never buy a 6.0 without learning more about them. They have a lot of engineering issues that can be corrected- IF your wallet is fat enough. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
If you know nothing about 6.0 diesels, then just buy the 7.3 and you'll be happy. If you want to educate yourself, there's a ton of material to read- I'd never buy a 6.0 without learning more about them. They have a lot of engineering issues that can be corrected- IF your wallet is fat enough. Good luck!
To some extent the market price for 6.0 have been corrected to account for bulletproofing. Besides, there are many 6.0s already bulletproofed so buying one of those would be a good deal.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:40 PM
DeafGerman
New User
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
Actually, I did lots of homework. Trust me on that. I can make tons of lists between 7.3 and 6.0 issues. Good and bad. But just one thing I never understand since no one made a comment about upgrading to prevent the over heat on some area such as coolant, EGR, head gasket, Tranny, and .

But the question is what cause the heat to be overheat? Just one thing I have not found anyone to post this part unless I missed or ?

So bottomline, holeshotwalt, regardless if I have fat wallet behind my bottom, its all about how smart you are to take care of it. And know what need to upgrade to make it last. To me, after a year researched and I never think 7.3 is better than 6.0 or 6.0 is better than 7.3. They both have faults in many ways based one DUMB driver who is careless and not taking care of it like taking care of our new born baby. So thats my question.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:48 PM
DeafGerman
New User
Originally Posted by Magnus E
To some extent the market price for 6.0 have been corrected to account for bulletproofing. Besides, there are many 6.0s already bulletproofed so buying one of those would be a good deal.
I honestly do not care about the size of 6.0 or newer 6.0 got bulletproof. What I most focus on is Gas Mileage, Diesel for the price is cheaper than regular now and the comfortable size for 2 adults, 4 kids and 3 dogs (Toy dog, schnauzer and boxer.) So after done the good upgrade and knowing it will help and last us for the next 10 to 20 years??? Gonna love to see and hit over 500k.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
I honestly do not care about the size of 6.0 or newer 6.0 got bulletproof. What I most focus on is Gas Mileage, Diesel for the price is cheaper than regular now and the comfortable size for 2 adults, 4 kids and 3 dogs (Toy dog, schnauzer and boxer.) So after done the good upgrade and knowing it will help and last us for the next 10 to 20 years??? Gonna love to see and hit over 500k.
ToreadorDiesel knows a thing or two about fuel mileage, maybe he will chip in on the discussion.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Actually, I did lots of homework. Trust me on that. to prevent the over heat on some area such as coolant, EGR, head gasket, Tranny, and .
But the question is what cause the heat to be overheat?
its all about how smart you are to take care of it. And know what need to upgrade to make it last. To me, after a year researched and I never think 7.3 is better than 6.0 or 6.0 is better than 7.3.
Your research SHOULD have shown you that overheating is really not the issue. That is the RESULT of the poor engineering that WE as buyers now have to overcome.
Poorly designed EGR and oil coolers clog up, then poor head bolt design allows the head gaskets to leak and warp heads.
Poor FICM designs, bad HPOP, compromised injector design; all can be overcome with enough money spent.
Bad maintenance is a huge problem with any engine. You're not buying new, so you're relying on the POs maintenance habits.
Then again, a few last forever with no problems. Do ya feel lucky?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's a different perspective...
Decide how much you want an Excursion at all. The 6L issues and the solutions are well documented, but are you up for fixing the non engine related things that crop up as it gets older...
Body mounts, worn out springs, clunking sway bar links, goofy electronic gremlins, door gaskets, etc.
It would be aweful to spend thousands on the engine just too sell it, but if you fix it and then get irritated at the next 'thing' that pops up that would be worse.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Question about how you said upgrade some area for 6.0, is it nesscarry to upgrade if not towing at all, or tow a 3,000 lbs RV, 3 times a year?? Since if the heat is an issue, must be coming from towing?? Please ;let me know because I have been looking either 02 7.3 or 05 6.0 and planning to upgrade in some area. Thanks!
In this situation, with your questions, you really need to start your own thread and not bring a six year old one back to life.

Stewart

Old 01-27-2016, 06:15 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
[QUOTE=TheBestKindOfEX;9639696]Maybe they don't know enough about the engine and don't want to take the time to understand it?

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I bet 100% of the 95% don't have one, They just heard about it and don't know anything about it. I bet if Ford had stepped up to the plate and just recalled ALL of them to do a correct fix we would not even be discussing this. Now the 6.0 has a reputation as bad as Lindsay Lohan, trouble with a capital T.

I agree with this as well. I've got 2 and all the issues are known and can be fixed and have it run great.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
DeafGerman, please start your own, new thread that addresses your problem so others don't get confused by the 6 year old posts, and your revival questions.

Stewart