6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0L Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:22 PM
markmcg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L Nightmare

I'm hoping to get some opinions and advice from some of the knowledgeable folks here. This is a long post but has to be told fully. Thanks for reading! I have a 2005 F350 diesel I bought new. It has only 74,200 miles on it. Last year it lost coolant ran hot very briefly and was shut off immediately. Added 2 gal of coolant. Next day the white smoke from tail pipe. Had it towed to highly recommended shop. Cracked heads. Re-machined heads were put on. Did not pay for stud upgrade. Shop implored me to get rid of truck for the host of 6.0 issues. It took all of the rest of the year to get to this thing and clean it up and paint the stake dump body on it and list for sale. It has been driven only 236 miles since heads repair. Check engine light came on, shop cleaned EGR valve (not replace). It has run like a top since heads repair. Potential buyer test drives, check engine light comes on. Auto Zone ran codes = PO299 (turbo underboost but points to EGR valve) Met buyer's mobile diesel mechanic. Engine ran extremely rough on the way for the first time. He checks it out and pulls EGR valve. He does block test with solution, blowback (bubbles), solution turns brown. Says it's head gaskets. EGR valve was clean, had no coolant in there but I believe it was just sticking. Coolant is leaking. Seems to be from over pressure of cooling system and forced out of degas bottle top. Had it towed to shop who did heads repair. Block test with turbo unplugged = EGR cooler is leaking. Keep in mind they did check the EGR cooler when it was in last year for the heads repair and it wasn't leaking. Now it is BUT radiator is also leaking. EGR valve is replaced. Still running very rough. Mechanic thinks it's starved for fuel. Maybe trash in fuel system. I'm not clear as I type now whether they were getting error codes for injectors 1,3,5 before or after he decides to look in fuel tank (easy to get to being a dump body). See photos of tank bottom and sending unit? in next post. Cleans tank out. Still running rough. He rigs a pressure gauge in line to test fuel pressure. I'm at a loss right now for what they told me the pressure reading was. Now he's wondering if oil pressure is effecting fuel pressure? Tests oil pressure with gauge rigged downline from oil pump. Gets OEM Ford injectors in stock. Thinks it's just #1. Replace #1 still running rough. They replaced computer module 3 times! 2 different new ones and 1 out of another 6.0 they have over there now. Hey let's be sure it isn't a bad module we just purchased. What do I know though? Just sounded like overkill to me. and BTW the way, we are talking about the FICM here correct? Still running rough! Starts wiggling wiring harness and engine goes berzerk (running very rough). Wiring harness? We're talking about the injector wiring harness correct? Just making sure. So what is going on here? Remember the heads repair 236 miles previous to this can of worms! Thanks so much for any expert input.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:22 PM
markmcg
New User
Old 05-17-2016, 07:19 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
You need a 6.0L guy to look at it where are you Located unless your ready to Dig into the Books and wrenches but sounds like you just want it gone!!

There is A lot going On there PLUS 2 Different Possibly 3 different mechanics Been in it
THIS Truck could be Financially DEVESTATING IN THE WRONG HANDS

Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Im sorry this Happened to you its the Kinda storey we all just shack are Heads at and wonder

Welcome to FTE To bad you did come sooner

Old 05-17-2016, 07:42 PM
catapeed
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like the tank lining delamination Here is a little article on it. http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tra...ch-and-how-to/

Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 PM
markmcg
New User
@Blade35: these guys at this shop are supposedly experts. What I am wondering and sort of allude to in my post, is at this point it seems like this guy is doing a lot of experiments and whereas the tank had trash in it (they said common in diesel fuel), that was not the cause of engine running rough. Then .. was the #1 injector really bad or was it just the wiring harness? How can the buzz test isolate an injector being bad if the harness feeding electricity to it is shorting out? I forgot to mention that they replaced the radiator - the part only $339 / no labor. What caused it to fail? Over pressurization of cooling system by leaking EGR cooler?

I'm a little west of Atlanta.

@catapeed: What is tank lining delamination? And what causes that?

Thanks all and anyone for advice on what you think this shop has done so far. They seem great but it's at the point where they're trying to isolate a specific problem via spending my money though eating some of the cost on their end. And that's a gray area in itself right now. My confidence has been shaken for sure.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:01 PM
163junk
Senior User
I've had 4 trucks all 99-05 f450's have the tank delam problem. all of them had what looked like never seize in the fuel filters. the lining is silver, not black. that looks like someone got a bad batch of fuel. Or possibly algae.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 PM
markmcg
New User
We've gotten fuel (all but like 6 times in 11 years) from the same gas station we have a house charge account with. I talked to them about it for sure. They get supplied by Florida Rock & Tank Lines. No telling otherwise.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Bad Oil Cooler cause the EGR Cooler Fail is the Standard Fail senereo

Its Not typical for the EGR Cooler to fail on its own but anythings possible

Yes the egr cooler would overpressurize and can blow radiators I think they crack at the Side tanks IIRC

Your oil cooler was likely plugged when they did the Heads they just Missed it you haven't ran that many miles UNLESS they put wrong coolant in or Dorman oil cooler

The Thing with plugged fuel line is that it ran low Fuel pressure and hurts injectors

BUT your inject sounds like it failed because of Harness could be as simple as THey broke the Clips on the harness at the FICM PLUG plug it in and Zip tye it if it still bad could be shorted but try that and make sure they are clipped at each inject too

Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 PM
markmcg
New User
There's a thread on this forum I read where a guy replaced blown head gaskets and after his 6.0 ran great. 100 miles later it's running rough. He realized he had done something to mess up the injector wiring harness and solved the problem. I'm only 236 miles since the heads where done on this truck.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:30 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Who did the work? I'm in the Atl area and just curious.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
There is another thread on this forum by another GA person I believe, dump body allowing water and dirt to enter the fuel tank due to the venting on top of the tank. That could very well be the debris in the tank which will do a number on the injectors.

The harness can have been damaged, but it also could be the FICM plugs not snapped in correctly or broken tabs.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:58 PM
markmcg
New User
Originally Posted by UGA33
Who did the work? I'm in the Atl area and just curious.
in fairness to them, I'd rather not say just yet. My niece's husband did recommend a good diesel mechanic in Cartersville though. It's just starting to sound like though "this is their best mechanic", he's not plugged into what's going on here and is grasping at straws at this point.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:01 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I know two really good ones in Cartersville. If you need their numbers, hollar at me.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:12 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The silver flakes will eventually turn into brown rust. Actually,, once the silver is delaminated, it will cause the tank itself to start rusting. Sounds like bs,, cause fuel should act as a rust inhibitor??? But it doesn't,, fuel on raw steel rusts. There's almost always water in fuel. The point given about water intrusion from the top is also a possibility. What a drag tho on your experiences. I say all the time (actually said it yesterday),, "money comes n goes,, but a crappy job will last the lifetime of the truck". Just because the truck is at a "diesel shop",, doesn't mean much anymore,, especially with modern diesels. I've had trucks run as high as 15k fixing crap jobs. Wrong routing generally warrants harness replacements.

Quick Reply: 6.0L Nightmare