4ltr radiator weird leak from seam

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:06 PM
pioneerscot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4ltr radiator weird leak from seam

This is strange, Had the truck for about 3000mi bought it at 147k now has 150
any way it runs great but the radiator started leaking from the seam close to where the bottom hose is.
I have since changed the radiator about a week ago 500mi a week work truck.
Now it seems to be leaking from the very same area, what I mean is the area around the hose is dry but just up the seam a bit it barely leaks, and mainly after the truck cools off at night.
These radiators seem extremely low quality, is there a substitute higher quality.
Also of note mine is the 1" core, I was told there are others but they will not fit, I must agree it seems nothing else would fit due to space constraints.
These radiators just kinda sit in a cradle and aren't really under any stress that I can tell so it doesn't seem as though that would be the cause.
Also of note the shop where I bought the new one took it out of the sealed box and tank pressure tested it as they do for all new sales, no leaks, I have not pulled it back out yet cause I would like to get some thing less flimsy if it exists.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
pioneerscot
New User
this place rules

Old 03-08-2011, 12:30 PM
pioneerscot
New User
Changed thermostat and radiator cap it worked fro a while but is doing this again, it just drip from the tank edge, you can see where it bulges ( lifts the tabs slightly ).
I've taken the radiator out twice and got two new ones from two different places ( they looked exactly the same ) and I have repaired this one several times. after about a month it stars dripping again.
Also if you use the heater there is a loud thudding coming from the vacuum valve in the heater hose,very annoying.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Pete Roberts
Senior User
What is the radiator cap rated at? 16lb...13lb...? The way I understand it...sometimes with the radiators that are on the market to replace originals...they require and lower rated cap to keep the pressure down...Not sure of this, but it may be something to check into...

Pete

Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM
pioneerscot
New User
Thax Pete , I just installed a second thirteen #yesterday I will know by tomorrow if it does any good it is also a different brand as napa changed brands so who knows.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
pioneerscot
New User
No change of course, Sure would be nice to get the plastic hunk of garbage out and put a real radiator in.
Any one know of a source for one that would fit ? Also is there truly a way to get rid of the heater valve from making the loud thudding noise ?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Usually when you have repeated failures like that you are missing a head gasget leaking and there are excessive combustion gasses building up and popping the seals. Have a competent technician do a hydrocarbon test on the system.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM
pioneerscot
New User
Ya know Homer, in the back of my mind I been toying with that idea. Just a couple things don't lead me there, I now have put 12k on it the power is good, no oil consumption and no overheating in any way. The biggest thing is it keeps happening in the same exact spot on the radiator inside seam right above the lower hose the aluminum tank bends get a little loose till it can leak from the large o-ring that seals the tank to the core. My real suspicion now lies in the core support, although it looks normal I am wondering if there's excessive pressure from the little channel the bottom of the radiator sits in. I am going to get a test kit and test for exhaust gases on Monday.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
A badly tweaked core support could be a possibility. You should be able to see that though when you mount it up and you have to twist or tweak it to line it up.
And of course there is always electrollosis, but that usually ends up with pin holes in the aluminum core, not a seal leaking.

Good luck

Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
pioneerscot
New User
That's just it, it does not really seem to be to hard to get into the channeled slot at the bottom but it is a little hard making me think it is normal to be a bit hard so there's no vibration. Do you know if there should be any tension at the bottom where the radiator sits in the channel ?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
They normally just drop in unless the grommet is a little dry or swollen or out of alignment. If it is just a minor amount of resistance I wouldnt think that would cause a leak.If you have to fight it in then you need to rework the mounting slots or get a different brand radiator. Ford sells them too, just not as cheap as the parts store.

I would still do a hydrocarbon analysis as well

Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
pioneerscot
New User
Good call, the one side where the leak is,is a little hard to get to line up. Not really a force it in kinda thing but it takes good pressure.Betcha it is that then, I'm gonna pull it out again and open the mount up some. No gases detected.
Also now the weather has warmed up it hasn't leaked in two days, go figure.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Yep, when it is a seal issue, it will usually leak overnight when it is cold. Warmer temps and less shrinkage thus less or no leakage. It would be a shame if you have to wait till next winter to know if it is fixed though...

And just for grins you might want to replace hoses and clamps if you havent already.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 AM
case2001
New User
Hi,

Did you ever find the issue? Was it the mounting grommets?

I have a 5.4L 99 Expedition with the same issue. 3 Radiators leaking at the seam. Good power, no overheating, no electrolysis, no oil or water mixing, no over flow of the reservoir. I have replace the thermostat, the water pump and several hoses.

Help!

Thanks.....

Old 06-04-2014, 12:26 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
We dont see many Expeditions in for radiators, in fact rarely. If you have checked for headgaskets and all other issues have been checked out, I would have to say it is a quality issue with the radiators. Maybe try a different brand. Unless the body is tweaked and its going in crooked thats about the only thing left.

Quick Reply: 4ltr radiator weird leak from seam