6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No BS Radiator Recommendations for 2004 F250 6.0 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:51 AM
jacob_a_meister
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No BS Radiator Recommendations for 2004 F250 6.0 Powerstroke

Hey everyone,

I have a 2004 F250 6.0 Powerstroke and recently discovered a small leak in my stock radiator, between the two top ports, temporary patch with epoxy putty (working surprisingly well)... Since I tow a 35ft fifth wheel, I need to replace it ASAP. However, the options are overwhelming, and I need some no-BS advice from the community on what to get for the best value.

This is where I'm at... 3 Row = Yes? Aluminum or OEM style with plastic = Unsure... Price range = preferably under $500.

Recommendations? Should I go for an OEM style radiator with the plastic or an all-aluminum core? Which is more reliable, especially considering I do heavy towing?

Cooling Efficiency: Do the all-aluminum radiators actually provide better cooling than the OEM ones tanks?

Cost vs. Value: I've seen radiators priced at $800+ and some much cheaper. Is the higher price genuinely worth it in terms of performance and durability, or is it just marketing hype?
(looking at amazon, i see under $200 and over $300, they all look like the same stock images. some have good reviews, others complain mostly about the shipping conditions but also leaks out of the box, idk if i can trust because unfortunately, either most ppl don't know what they are talking about, are not using the truck as intended with heavy towing experience or just a special case where it did/didn't work out for them)

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures:

Old 05-16-2024, 12:08 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,486 Posts
From my perspective, having worked on vehicles for over 55 years, the OE designs will have the best cooling. I've never used an aftermarket product that was not compromised.

While running brake tests during my career, I’ve worked alongside cooling engineers, seeing what they do. And my company also sold both OE and aftermarket products. I can’t see any aftermarket company doing those tests.

Some have said an all-aluminum product has performed well over the years. I don't remember the name, but Mark (Bismic) probably remembers.

On a side note, when you get a new one, if you are interested, I’d like to get your old one, and I’ll pay for the shipping. I’ve been trying to get one so I can cut it apart and see if there are residuals from the old coolants.

The following 3 users liked this post by TooManyToys.:
Old 05-16-2024, 12:22 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Performance Radiator is the only aftermarket radiator I would consider. My radiator is from BulletProofDiesel and their 6.0 radiators are made by Performance Radiator (what I have been told).

I like my radiator well enough. That said (down deep) I truly believe that it does not quite cool as well as the OEM radiator. So, summary ......... I agree with Jack!

The following 2 users liked this post by bismic:
Old 05-16-2024, 02:41 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

That's the one. I couldn't think of it, but I'm wiped.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:12 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 351 Likes on 218 Posts
I will say I put my Performance Radiator through the ringer towing heavy and in high heat a few times a year. NEVER falters and my ECT stays manageable so take that for what it is worth.

The radiator has been going strong for 9 years now and that in itself is worth buying over that plastic tank garbage any day IMO.

Whatever you do, do not buy a Mishimoto

https://shop.performanceradiator.com...roduct_id=5515

Old 05-17-2024, 02:09 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts
OEM worked for 20 years, right?

IMO the more important question.... original fan clutch, or BPD nut adaptor?
https://bulletproofdiesel.com/produc...gaApG6EALw_wcB

Old 05-17-2024, 02:55 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If you are asking me, I still have the 2003 stock fan, fan clutch, and radiator.

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2024, 07:00 PM
BulletProofDiesel
SPONSOR
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
Performance Radiator is the only aftermarket radiator I would consider. My radiator is from BulletProofDiesel and their 6.0 radiators are made by Performance Radiator (what I have been told).

I like my radiator well enough. That said (down deep) I truly believe that it does not quite cool as well as the OEM radiator. So, summary ......... I agree with Jack!
Technically our radiators are made by Radicon, who also makes the radiators for Performance Radiator. They are the only radiators that have the same surface density/area as the OEM. All of the other cool kid radiators that I’ve seen are lacking in the heat exchange department…. But what do I know?

We stopped buying from Perfomance and went to the source because we had a warranty issue they failed to resolve. Weird because we were probably their largest customer, but that’s how it goes I guess.

The following 4 users liked this post by BulletProofDiesel:
Old 05-17-2024, 07:22 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by BulletProofDiesel
Technically our radiators are made by Radicon, who also makes the radiators for Performance Radiator. They are the only radiators that have the same surface density/area as the OEM. All of the other cool kid radiators that I’ve seen are lacking in the heat exchange department…. But what do I know?

We stopped buying from Perfomance and went to the source because we had a warranty issue they failed to resolve. Weird because we were probably their largest customer, but that’s how it goes I guess.
I stand corrected then, I should have said that the Radicon radiator is the only aftermarket one that I would consider. I was more than happy to have done business with you guys, which is the only reason I had for saying that the Performance Radiator is the only aftermarket one that I would consider. I would much rather buy from you than from Performance Radiator.

Do you know if the fin count and the fin dimensions (including thickness) are the same as the OEM radiator?

The following 2 users liked this post by bismic:
Old 05-17-2024, 07:32 PM
BulletProofDiesel
SPONSOR
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I stand corrected then, I should have said that the Radicon radiator is the only aftermarket one that I would consider. I was more than happy to have done business with you guys, which is the only reason I had for saying that the Performance Radiator is the only aftermarket one that I would consider. I would much rather buy from you than from Performance Radiator.

Do you know if the fin count and the fin dimensions (including thickness) are the same as the OEM radiator?
They are for all practical purposes the same as OEM. Are they exactly? Well, I never measured fin thickness. So I can’t answer that honestly.

Old 05-19-2024, 09:26 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 351 Likes on 218 Posts
My OEM had 92 cooling passages and the Performance radiator has 87 (or close to it since you get double vision keeping count).

Only reason I counted them back then was BPD was helping me figure my overheating issue using going from a leaking OEM to a Mishimoto type radiator.

Installed the 2944 model from performance and never looked back.

The following 2 users liked this post by joe blow:
Old 05-20-2024, 06:49 AM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Performance radiator

I have 28,000 miles on my performance radiator. No issues keeping cool. I will say that the first radiator they sent me leaked. I called to let them know and they immediately shipped a replacement no questions asked. They even sent a courier to pick the leaky radiator from my front porch.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-20-2024, 07:33 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
I replaced the original rad with a Motorcraft from White Bear in 2015, it's been trouble free since. I heard that shortly after I got it they quit shipping them due to damages in shipping, not sure if that's still the case. I have never heard anyone say their 6.0 rad cools too good, that's the one I want.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-20-2024, 08:43 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Yes, they and other online dealerships have stopped shipping them.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:10 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 495 Likes on 329 Posts
Last I heard Hartwig had noting but good things to say about his IPR radiator:

https://www.iprresearch.com/IPR-Extr...Excursion.html

Maybe he'll chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a performance radiator in my last 6.0L. In the summer I commonly saw temps that were 10 deg higher than I do now with the stock radiator. Was it the fan clutch? Maybe, and I only say that because I never ponied-up for a Motorcraft clutch, instead trying the Hayden and the BPD 7.3 conversion with another Hayden clutch.

Even if I did decide to go with a Performance model, I would never order directly from them. They resent the thing three times and it kept getting damaged, and it wasn't from abusive shippers any more than it was due to ****-poor packaging. The third one they sent came via currier directly from their warehouse in Waco, and it was still damaged! Not as bad as the first two, and I decided to live with it because I couldn't wait any longer to get back to work.

Quick Reply: No BS Radiator Recommendations for 2004 F250 6.0 Powerstroke