Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 09:00 PM
jeffkrol
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 Wiper motor or transmission?

So the nickle and diming begins..
Just kidding..
Anyways today I was using the wipers and squirter to clean the pollen off my windshield.
I've done it before.

Oddly though I noticed the wiper weren't very "zippy".
OK I just got this truck a few moths ago and since it is like the second vehicle it sits... a ...lot.
Its my little old lady from Pasadena truck.
Point is it is sometimes hard to notice things when you aren't doing it day to day.

Well the catch here though is after I get past the "intermittent" wipes and get to the 2 continuous wipes is when I really noticed the issue.
The first speed is err sort of ok.
Goes up faster than down.

Second speed is slow and barely faster than 1st speed.
Sometimes it even seems slower..
I'll probably pull the cowl tomorrow and start by lubricating some of the control arm pivot points.

Thing is though.best guess.. Motor or transmission?
For fun.. anyone have a vid of how fast the top wipe should go?

Oh and regarding this anyone suggest both be replaced?
Junkyard parts or is this a common-ish issue?

Any tricks? Saw one guy drill a few holes to add oil.
I usually don't count on stuff like that as a permanent type fix though.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-15-2024 at 09:04 PM. Reason: stuff
Old 05-16-2024, 12:12 AM
JKBrad
Received 821 Likes on 604 Posts
Usually wiper issues are going to be the multi function stalk malfunctioning. A relatively cheap part and a very easy remove/replace job.

Also, If you leave it parked outside all the time, the wiper blades may be sticking to the windshield, which outs a lot of strain on the motor to break them free. Once a week, lift the wipers from the windshield. It especially worse if you park under trees. If you get a bunch or sap on the glass, about once a week, use a gas station type squeegee and wet the sponge with hot water to clean it.

Old 05-16-2024, 05:59 AM
99powerstrokedF250
Cargo Master
Received 395 Likes on 308 Posts
From what I remember (I never had cause to look at how Ford's been doing it, and it's been YEARS since I've had wiper issues), there isn't really a 'transmission' so to speak in the wiper motor assembly. There's the motor, and a right-angle gearbox. However, unless it's 'jumping' I wouldn't suspect the gearbox. It COULD be due to lube and it certainly can't hurt, but I would end up leaning toward the motor itself if the speed is slow - that's not really controlled by the MFS.

That said, unless you have someone you can buy just the electric motor from, you'll probably end up replacing the whole assembly. I doubt (though I could be wrong) that most auto parts stores are stocking just the motor, and if they are the entire assembly is probably only a few $$ more. I mean look at brakes, I can't tell you how many times I've JUST needed a new caliper bracket and pins, but an entire assembly (caliper, bracket, and pins) is only like $20 more - I know the caliper costs more than $20.

Old 05-16-2024, 05:40 PM
jeffkrol
Trailering
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Usually wiper issues are going to be the multi function stalk malfunctioning. A relatively cheap part and a very easy remove/replace job.

Also, If you leave it parked outside all the time, the wiper blades may be sticking to the windshield, which outs a lot of strain on the motor to break them free. Once a week, lift the wipers from the windshield. It especially worse if you park under trees. If you get a bunch or sap on the glass, about once a week, use a gas station type squeegee and wet the sponge with hot water to clean it.
Thanks but yea I went down that road. cleaned the glass and blades.. No change.
Odd thing is, but explains why I may have not noticed it before, this am it was raining and I went to check the wipers.. Ran MUCH better on top speed.
Well the 2 steps of continuous on were noticeably different.

Watched a few vids on the replacement and one had some Ford guy say like 90% were linkage issues.
Oh and the switch in the cab.
Very few motor problems.

Well after the rain I pulled the driver side trim and tired it with the driver side arm off. Was better.
Hmm, maybe try the other side. Not sure it really tells me anything though.
Anyways sprayed some dry lube around the armature joints for fun. Didn't change anything.

Well atm I'm debating between evil bay junkyard full assemblies or a new Dorman linkage, or linkage and motor.
Costs run from $50 (linkage only) to about $200 for linkage/motorcraft motor.

Personally besides the about $150 extra the main thing is I would, in perfect world wish there was an "assembly" ready to buy.
Which is why I'm considering the "junkyard" ones.
I'm in a small town and our junkyard closed down years ago.

Not too hard to align a motor/blade BUT prefer not to need to.
Older I get lazier I get.
Hmm..and again which part?

Old 05-16-2024, 05:42 PM
jeffkrol
Trailering
Originally Posted by 99powerstrokedF250
From what I remember (I never had cause to look at how Ford's been doing it, and it's been YEARS since I've had wiper issues), there isn't really a 'transmission' so to speak in the wiper motor assembly. There's the motor, and a right-angle gearbox. However, unless it's 'jumping' I wouldn't suspect the gearbox. It COULD be due to lube and it certainly can't hurt, but I would end up leaning toward the motor itself if the speed is slow - that's not really controlled by the MFS.

That said, unless you have someone you can buy just the electric motor from, you'll probably end up replacing the whole assembly. I doubt (though I could be wrong) that most auto parts stores are stocking just the motor, and if they are the entire assembly is probably only a few $$ more. I mean look at brakes, I can't tell you how many times I've JUST needed a new caliper bracket and pins, but an entire assembly (caliper, bracket, and pins) is only like $20 more - I know the caliper costs more than $20.
Yea they sort of call it a "transmission" for whatever reason.

See above as to why I wish it was an "assembly"..

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-16-2024, 06:28 PM
jeffkrol
Trailering
Ok ..now that I read about switch problems...
Anyone think it's that?

Old 05-20-2024, 02:40 PM
jeffkrol
Trailering
Decided to start with the "transmission"..

Old 05-24-2024, 10:54 AM
jeffkrol
Trailering
Ok transmission was an issue. Passenger side spindle was pretty frozen.
The Dorman replacement was "ok". Passenger side wiper blade was a bit of a tight fit compared to the oem one.

Will see how that works. Initially still has a difference between wipers going up and then down. but just an initial driveway test and may need the new linkages to break in a bit.
Who knows maybe need engine running ect..

One sad thing is the first time I removed the cowl pieces I got all the clips up just fine.
This time I broke 2. One on each side panel.

sooo will need to go in again after my new clips come.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-24-2024 at 10:55 AM. Reason: stuff