6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford leaving the CP4

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 08:30 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts
Ford leaving the CP4

Does anybody think Ford will quit using the CP4 in the distant future and use Stanadyne as their supplier? Or is the failure rate on the cp4.2 small enough that they don't care?

Old 01-01-2024, 08:49 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,787 Likes on 1,695 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Does anybody think Ford will quit using the CP4 in the distant future and use Stanadyne as their supplier? Or is the failure rate on the cp4.2 small enough that they don't care?
Not unless a different pump can NOT be retrofit. I.E. when they do a complete engine re-design. That way all the folks that have had failures with the CP-4 can’’t come back on them and say “I want the new and improved version too……on you”; along with a refund of cost to replace”.
At this point, it would be an admission of guilt. Lawyers are waiting for a super class action on this issue anyway.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:12 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Desert Don
Not unless a different pump can NOT be retrofit. I.E. when they do a complete engine re-design. That way all the folks that have had failures with the CP-4 can’’t come back on them and say “I want the new and improved version too……on you”; along with a refund of cost to replace”.
At this point, it would be an admission of guilt. Lawyers are waiting for a super class action on this issue anyway.
Admission of guilt statement is BS. Manufacturers change parts all of the time. As a matter of fact most have disclaimers that they do this so you can't go back and say I want the newer version.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:19 AM
Dirthawg2.0
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
That was click bait and it worked on me! I was coming in here to see what pump Ford was going to replace the CP4 with!

The following 4 users liked this post by Dirthawg2.0:
Old 01-01-2024, 09:20 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Admission of guilt statement is BS. Manufacturers change parts all of the time. As a matter of fact most have disclaimers that they do this so you can't go back and say I want the newer version.
Until the lawyers get involved. Then anything can be construed as an admission of guilt.

https://truthinadvertising.org/class...jection-pumps/

Just one article. The lawyers are absolutely salivating over this issue.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:25 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Desert Don
Until the lawyers get involved. Then anything can be construed as an admission of guilt.

https://truthinadvertising.org/class...jection-pumps/

Just one article. The lawyers are absolutely salivating over this issue.
Doesn't mean a thing. Lawyers have always been greedy. Been going on for years and nothing has happened. You gotta have big pockets to fight Ford and 99.9% aren't gonna do it.

Once again this has nothing to do with whether or not Ford quits using the CP4.2.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:33 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Doesn't mean a thing. Lawyers have always been greedy. Been going on for years and nothing has happened. You gotta have big pockets to fight Ford and 99.9% aren't gonna do it.

Once again this has nothing to do with whether or not Ford quits using the CP4.2.
Well, there is a reason GM dupmed it, there is a reason Cummins/RAM dumped it, and there is a reason keeps shoving it down the consumers throat Stay faithful.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 10:21 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,537 Likes on 952 Posts
Something tells me part of the reason Cummins got a $1.7B slap down fine from the EPA was because the CP3 might not have been able to meet performance and emissions requirements. At the end of the day, it's the EPA that's driving the decisions on the auto manufacturers. Having said that Stanadyne pumps were used in the International 6.9/7.3 IDI engines so perhaps it's a possibility again???

The following 3 users liked this post by FishOnOne:
Old 01-01-2024, 07:24 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
From the Duramax forum

Old 01-01-2024, 08:06 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,767 Likes on 4,927 Posts
Well, the aftermarket already has it figured out and the only way I'd buy another truck, newer than mine, is hitting the lottery.

Nice to know that S&S has a swap in option with that Stanadyne DCR pump... If or when mine goes... It's insanity to think I'd have to pay $30k plus to get the truck I have now...

Old 01-02-2024, 06:41 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts
The only time FoMoCo will move on from the CP4 is when it can no longer meet the necessary specifications. They have been running that pump for almost 13 years (longer than any other version of the PSD was in service), the failure rate under warranty has to be low enough that it is acceptable to them and the threat of post-warranty failure hasn't sufficiently dented perceived demand to warrant a change for them. In Ford's defense, they did a MUCH better job on the low pressure fuel system than GM or Dodge. GM didn't even have a dedicated lift pump for the DMax CP4's and Dodge's lift pumps have been horrid since the 98.5 VP44 trucks, they did improve with the in tank conversions in 2005 but hardly robust IMHO. IIRC, the Ford low pressure system supplies three times the required fuel volume. That said that is little condolence to anyone that had a CP4 seppuku on them. I don't see Ford changing until they have to.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:37 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,635 Likes on 743 Posts
They build 30,000 trucks a month. And yeah, some of them are gas, not diesel. But over the 14 years they have been building the 6.7L That's a LOT of CP4
I'm going with Rufus above. I don't think the failure rate has been high enough to discourage them from continuing to use that part.

The following 2 users liked this post by Painted Horse:
Old 01-02-2024, 07:47 AM
JoeUser
Pusher of String

Received 383 Likes on 265 Posts
Yeah, but they'll take a BILLION dollar loss on electric vehicles, no problem. SMH

The following 4 users liked this post by JoeUser:
Old 01-02-2024, 08:16 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
The whole thing about the CP4 is that it is not a problem for those that have not had a premature failure. When one goes out at 20,000 miles and you arre 1500 miles from home, and Ford has them on national backorder, then they all of a sudden become a huge problem. It sure ruins any faith in a Ford product in a hurry.

The following 4 users liked this post by Desert Don:
Old 01-02-2024, 08:32 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,767 Likes on 4,927 Posts
I have to admit, it sure sounds like there's no rhyme or reason with these pumps going out as some go early and then trucks like Troy's go out to almost 300k miles with no issues... But one thing that could be said, they do go and when they do, they take the whole fuel system with them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Overkill2:

Quick Reply: Ford leaving the CP4