6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

P0402 a few drive cycles after replacing busted aftermarket intercooler charge pipe with stock part

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 09:50 AM
tsa37
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0402 a few drive cycles after replacing busted aftermarket intercooler charge pipe with stock part

Hello everyone. I'll start by saying I am new to this forum so let me know if there is a better spot to put this question.

I recently purchased a 2019 F250 6.7L Powerstroke with 117k miles. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket intercooler charge pipe. I don't know the reason but I'm assuming the stock part failed. Well that aftermarket pipe failed on me which led to the CEL turning on on and the code P00BD. I then replaced the busted aftermarket charge pipe with a stock charge pipe. A few drive cycles later I am now getting error code P0402 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected). It seems too coincidental that this error code occurred so soon after replacing the charge pipe. Is there any chance that these can be related? Maybe the aftermarket part had a bad seal even before busting and the sensors were retrained based on the airflow temp associated with that part? Now the sensors are confused about the new part?

I appreciate any thoughts.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:54 PM
Dirthawg2.0
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Check for any leaks in the CAC piping and have a look at the MAP sensor, it could be full of soot.

And FYI aftermarket CAC pipes are much more reliable than the Motorcraft parts. What failed on the aftermarket part and what brand was it?

Old 05-02-2023, 07:28 AM
dhodges45
1st Gear
Same issue

I just had the P00BD code and found the Intercooler pipe had cracks in it. I replaced the hose with a stock hose and cleared the codes and immediately got the P0402 code as well. Did you figure out the problem? My truck Ahmad an aftermarket warranty but I’m not sure if that’s covered or not. I was going to call the dealership today to check but I was curious what you found. Seems odd that the code wasn’t there when the hose was cracked but as soon as it was replaced it threw the code.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:48 PM
Alanf250
2nd Gear
What was the problem. I had the same issue today

Old 12-13-2023, 09:05 PM
kkirt1
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Alanf250
Same problem here. Replaced intercooler cold side pipe due to cracks now getting EGR error check engine light. It is defiantly defueling after a minute or two of running it. Turn the engine off and it runs normally but eventually defuels again. Some have said clean MAF and others have said not help. It seems odd that replacing the pipe created this error. Is it learning the new intake volume?

Old 12-14-2023, 05:33 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,522 Likes on 4,748 Posts
Originally Posted by dhodges45
I just had the P00BD code and found the Intercooler pipe had cracks in it. I replaced the hose with a stock hose and cleared the codes and immediately got the P0402 code as well. Did you figure out the problem? My truck Ahmad an aftermarket warranty but I’m not sure if that’s covered or not. I was going to call the dealership today to check but I was curious what you found. Seems odd that the code wasn’t there when the hose was cracked but as soon as it was replaced it threw the code.
Originally Posted by Alanf250
Originally Posted by kkirt1
Same problem here. Replaced intercooler cold side pipe due to cracks now getting EGR error check engine light. It is defiantly defueling after a minute or two of running it. Turn the engine off and it runs normally but eventually defuels again. Some have said clean MAF and others have said not help. It seems odd that replacing the pipe created this error. Is it learning the new intake volume?
What model years are these trucks?

Old 12-14-2023, 11:56 AM
Alanf250
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Overkill2
What model years are these trucks?
2017 6.7 powerstroke. I’ve already changed the map and maf sensors and the CEL is still on

Old 12-14-2023, 02:58 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,033 Likes on 792 Posts
I changed my map, all intercooler pipes, and no cels.

you guys need to check your clamps for tightness.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,522 Likes on 4,748 Posts
Originally Posted by tsa37
Hello everyone. I'll start by saying I am new to this forum so let me know if there is a better spot to put this question.

I recently purchased a 2019 F250 6.7L Powerstroke with 117k miles. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket intercooler charge pipe. I don't know the reason but I'm assuming the stock part failed. Well that aftermarket pipe failed on me which led to the CEL turning on on and the code P00BD. I then replaced the busted aftermarket charge pipe with a stock charge pipe. A few drive cycles later I am now getting error code P0402 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected). It seems too coincidental that this error code occurred so soon after replacing the charge pipe. Is there any chance that these can be related? Maybe the aftermarket part had a bad seal even before busting and the sensors were retrained based on the airflow temp associated with that part? Now the sensors are confused about the new part?

Found some threads for you to ponder....

https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forum...d-p0402-cause/

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60813-0001.pdf

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...p0402.1377778/

Not an expert here but hopefully this will give some guidance. If I come across anything else, I'll post up...

​​​​​​​

Old 04-15-2024, 04:41 PM
kreedf250
3rd Gear
F250 -2019

Originally Posted by tsa37

Were you able to fix your P0402 error code problem? Thanks!

Old 04-29-2024, 09:58 PM
ruphianh
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello, any luck? My charge pipe blew and replaced with an spe charge pipe. Now P0402. Replaced the map sensor. Still an issue. I do not see leaks in the pipes.

Lots of people with issues, no one documenting what worked

Old 04-29-2024, 11:28 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
These codes are perment codes…meaning…clearing with a scan tool or software won’t clear them. You have to drive the vehicle to clear them. If you just try to clear them…they will still show as pending codes until the pcm clears them.

no one is posting the fix becuase these codes once the root case is repaired will clear them selves.

The folks with the codes that relate to excessive egr flow need to check their secondary coolant mix with a hydrometer.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:34 PM
ruphianh
Tuned
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
These codes are perment codes…meaning…clearing with a scan tool or software won’t clear them. You have to drive the vehicle to clear them. If you just try to clear them…they will still show as pending codes until the pcm clears them.

no one is posting the fix becuase these codes once the root case is repaired will clear them selves.

The folks with the codes that relate to excessive egr flow need to check their secondary coolant mix with a hydrometer.
my tool clears pending codes and reads pending codes. The pending code will come back after 100 miles. Specifically under low rpm high boost in 6th gear up grades.

a side note I do see my boost under wot goes up/down like it’s hunting/overboosting until it gets to 4th maybe and steadies. Almost like the waste gate is sticking or slow.

why a hydrometer for flow of egr? Trucks got 80k miles
All I’ve changed is map and charge pipe.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:51 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ruphianh
my tool clears pending codes and reads pending codes. The pending code will come back after 100 miles. Specifically under low rpm high boost in 6th gear up grades.

a side note I do see my boost under wot goes up/down like it’s hunting/overboosting until it gets to 4th maybe and steadies. Almost like the waste gate is sticking or slow.

why a hydrometer for flow of egr? Trucks got 80k miles
All I’ve changed is map and charge pipe.

the reason to check your egr coolant is because the cap is only 5 psi, over time, water will steam out of the resivor.

I used to think forscan and idash could clear permeant codes…but after clearing them with forscan or idash, I put odbclink on the engine and saw the codes still listed. The software help in odbclink says only the pcm will clear a perm code if the condition is corrected.

but you bring up a good point….why are all these hoses cracking … and why are hoses involved in cracks having code problems. I like the watergate theory…stuck closed wastegate will over pressurize the tubes …would they crack…why would the wastegates on 17 thru 19’s get stuck…is this why ford changed the design of the ccv again…are all these 27 thru 19 turbo replacements just stuck watergates in disguise? I don’t have the answer nor any way to test the wastegate.

i can tell you if the wastegate is stuck open…excessive egr flow will go thru the egr simply due to suction. The mass air flow sensor expects a predictable flow drop as the valve opens.

but it is curious how the folks who report this problem never come back to explain how it was resolved.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:45 PM
ruphianh
Tuned
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
the reason to check your egr coolant is because the cap is only 5 psi, over time, water will steam out of the resivor.

I used to think forscan and idash could clear permeant codes…but after clearing them with forscan or idash, I put odbclink on the engine and saw the codes still listed. The software help in odbclink says only the pcm will clear a perm code if the condition is corrected.

but you bring up a good point….why are all these hoses cracking … and why are hoses involved in cracks having code problems. I like the watergate theory…stuck closed wastegate will over pressurize the tubes …would they crack…why would the wastegates on 17 thru 19’s get stuck…is this why ford changed the design of the ccv again…are all these 27 thru 19 turbo replacements just stuck watergates in disguise? I don’t have the answer nor any way to test the wastegate.

i can tell you if the wastegate is stuck open…excessive egr flow will go thru the egr simply due to suction. The mass air flow sensor expects a predictable flow drop as the valve opens.

but it is curious how the folks who report this problem never come back to explain how it was resolved.
yep good point.

anyone got any other insight?

Quick Reply: P0402 a few drive cycles after replacing busted aftermarket intercooler charge pipe with stock part