6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New (to me) 2016 F-250 emissions/general advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 PM
SStaal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) 2016 F-250 emissions/general advice?

Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2016 F-250 with the 6.7, 135k miles. This is my first truck with emissions equipment (my other truck is a 2002 7.3), and I am wondering if anyone has advice about potential issues to look out for or things to take care of before they go bad. The truck looks to be completely stock, not sure if they had any tunes (bought it from a stealership). I'll be using it to pull my 10k camper frequently in the summer, then a general grocery getter the rest of the year. Any fuel efficiency or tow tunes that are safe for a stock truck? I've ghosted these forums for years but still a newbie to posting etiquette, so feel free to yell at me haha.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:38 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SStaal
Any fuel efficiency or tow tunes that are safe for a stock truck? I've ghosted these forums for years but still a newbie to posting etiquette, so feel free to yell at me haha.
There are some tunes that are safe for a stock truck. They're a complete waste of money though. You won't make the money back with MPG and they won't help you tow better. Your only benefit would be a full emissions delete. It sounds like you have a healthy running truck, so you may want to wait until one of the emissions equipment fails.

I recommend a full engine coolant change, oil change and transmission fluid and filter change ASAP as possible. That will be money well spent. I also recommend a good fuel lubricant additive like PM-22a and the winter equivalent since you're in the arctic.

Sirch noob!!

Old 06-25-2019, 05:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
be sure you are using OEM fuel and oil filters.

In the tech folder there should be links to download the coffee book bible for the motor. Highly suggest you do so and read it all.

There are also some links on various things over the years to educate yourself on some that had occurred from the early years.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:04 AM
SStaal
New User
Awesome, I'll start my reading.

I figured I would probably need to delete it at some point, but other than that and maybe an air intake, I'm hoping to keep it as stock as possible.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
You probably never need to delete. Why spend all that money on a tune when it may be cheaper to fix what is broken. Wait till you hook up your camper. You will be amazed at the power the truck has. I also recommend Motorcraft for all your oil and filter needs but there are those on that like cheaper oils that meat spec. I just don't trust them. Also I tow a lot so synthetic oil is all I would use. Town driving is called heavy usage and Ford recommends synthetic. Highway driving is light duty so you can use a different weight oil. I use 5t/40 all season here in Ca. if you live in the snow country than winter you will use something else.it is time for a fluid change. The dealer should have done that before they sold the truck to you. Ask them for the repair order or ask for a oasis report. They have one don't let them tell they don't. Oil temp and trans temps run about 200 empty. I have seen my oil get to 240 in the hills towing but that within spec. That's another reason I use synthetic oil. As someone said use cetain from Ford. Ford doesn't recommend any additives for these trucks but I again only use Ford cetain to help lube the fuel pump. It may not be necessary but if you use the Ford stuff you will be ok. I wouldn't sweet the small stuff. it will drive you nuts and you won't enjoy the truck.
DEF The information center will tell you the tank is half empty but I have found that it won't take a full bosx to fill it up.so wait till the truck tells you 500 miles till empty. it will take a few key starts or miles but the 500 mile counter will go away. it freaked me out once when it happened to med and you cant reset the counter. Just fill the DEF and keep driving.
You mentioned fuel millage, you got the diesel and a big truck. I get 11 towing my 13,000# 5th wheel. I get combined highway and city about 15. From what I have seen a tune causes more problems than it solved.
I have a 15 F250 lariat trim. never been in for anything except maintenance.Hope you are as lucky as I have been with my truck.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:50 PM
SStaal
New User
Thanks for the advice. I realize now that I probably didn't ask the right questions or scrutinize the truck as close as I should have at the dealership, once I decided what I wanted I got the first one that matched for the right price. I think it's good, seems to run good and didn't have any stored codes, but I definitely didn't get any history on it. I think if the dealer can't give me the oasis report I'll just change all the fluids to get a baseline. Definitely looking forward to the first camping trip! I'm sure I'll have more questions come up, but I really appreciate everything you all said. Especially the coffee table book, that things awesome!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Run it until your DPF or EGR fail. Then delete it if you don't have smog checks in your area. Don't listen to the nay-sayers about deleting. It does nothing but HELP your truck! Not really worth it to just do it without issues as far as mileage, but you will love your truck even more after you do!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
DEF: I wait until I get the message for less than 200 miles to empty. I usually buy the blue def at Walmart. Buy the ford filler spout for the def. This spout will not leak and works on all containers. It will also shut off when full thus not allowing it to over fill.

DEF freezes in the winter so having it NOT over filled will protect you.

When I fill, and turn the key on it will immediately register as full. I feel letting it run down low and then a complete refill keeps the system from getting confused.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:00 PM
SStaal
New User
Welp it definitely gets cold here... usually at least two weeks of daily high temp under 0 degrees.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM
SStaal
New User
I put some pictures in another thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-to-6-7-a.html

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 06-27-2019, 05:30 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
be sure you are using OEM fuel and oil filters.
What is the reason for using the Ford Oil Filter? I use the Ford Filter but I'm confident a WIX would be similar or even out perform the OEM filter.

I have not cut one open so I have no idea.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
My thoughts on the filters:

OEM oil filters can be procured at any parts store for a good value. In addition, flow rates and filtration rates may or may not be the same or any better. I have no proof one way or the other but with them so easily bought at part store why chance it.

Fuel filters are a little problematic. I have not seen them locally stocked anywhere. But with the risk of an issue should an aftermarket one not fit as designed I would not want to chance it.

Air Filters are also able to be had locally for good prices. I would budge on this one as long as it is reputable and has the correct filtration and fit.

Just my thoughts on matter.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:09 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for you thoughts on the filters. I agree with fuel filters they should always be OEM. I also think is a good idea to use OEM air filters too.

Skip right to 20:20 if your impatient.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 PM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Use Motorcraft to be absolutely sure