1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Dennis Carpenter Returns

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Fleetwood271
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dennis Carpenter Returns

Anyone from Dennis Carpenter on here? Or has anyone else on here had an issue with trying to return an item to them?

Back on Feb 3rd, I placed an order from the Dennis Carpenter website. I ordered the brakes shoes that their website showed were for the rear of my 1969 F100. However, after jacking up the truck and removing the wheel, I found that the shoes from Dennis Carpenter were too wide. Thanks to a user on this site, I found the brake shoes I needed at Advance Auto Parts.

I called Dennis Carpenter last week and was given a return authorization number. However, they said I had to pay shipping to return the shoes to them. Keep in mind, these are the shoes their website say fit my truck. The part number on their website, in the catalog, and on the box I was sent all match. And that part number is shown on their website (which is where I ordered from) to be the correct shoes for my truck.

After I got the correct shoes at Advance, I decied to go ahead and send the shoes back to Dennis Carpenter so they would at least refund the purchase price of $29.95 to my card. But when I told the post master I needed to ship them as cheap as possible, it was still going to be over $21 to ship the shoes back.

I did not ship them. Instead, I called Dennis Carpenter again and explained the whole thing again.....to a different person. She was very rude and kept telling me that the shoes I had were the right ones. I kept explaining that they were too wide. Finally I asked to speak to her supervisor. A guy named Vince got on the phone and I explained the whole thing to him. He pulled up the website and I did the same. I showed him where it showed this was the part number for my truck, and explained that they were too wide. He said he would see what he could do about helping me. He said he would have someone call me back. That was yesterday morning. I e-mailed them today. I still have not gotten a call or an e-mail.

But....get this: Their website has now been changed! Now if you go that same page,, the tab at the bottom that says "Applications", does not work. To me, this shows that they knew there was a problem, and changed their website. But still, I am stuck with 3" wide shoes that I do not need and am out $29.95. It's really not an issue of the money. It is the way they have handled (or failed to handle) this situation.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 PM
lambchops25
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. It would be different if it was a mistake on your end, but it was their info that is wrong. I hope they reach out, and make this right with you.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 PM
Fleetwood271
Tuned
Originally Posted by lambchops25
That sucks. It would be different if it was a mistake on your end, but it was their info that is wrong. I hope they reach out, and make this right with you.
That's my point exactly. All I want is for them to send me a pre-paid shipping label to send the brake shoes back to them.

I have ordered over $630 dollars of merchandise from Dennis Carpenter since Feb 3rd. You would think they would appreciate that enough to pay for return shipping.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
try returning a bedside to them, almost impossible and very expensive.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 876 Likes on 794 Posts
A friend got a emergency flasher switch from them that the threaded part was too short so that the bezel could not fasten it to the dash. I took one out of my 70 that had the right length for comparison. DC said that the part was correct and it fit when the tried it on a truck. BS. They also said they had 1600 of them in stock and they would all work in our application. More BS Must use different measurements in China.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Fleetwood271
Tuned
Yeah, I still have not received an e-mail or a call from them.

I guess I could call them again, but then I'd have to explain the whole thing again....for a 4th time. Probably only to hear them say, "Well, that's the correct part number."

Hey does anyone need these 3" wide brake shoes? If you will pay shipping to you, I'll give them to you! I'd rather someone on here have them than to fool with Dennis Carpenter anymore. I'll buy all my stuff from LMC, NPD, CJ Pony Parts, F100 Central, or Macs Auto Parts from now on.

I hope that $21 shipping fee they would not pay for is worth them losing my business.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:36 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Try advertising on craigs liist. Someone near you might need them.
Is that $21 shipping USPS ? seems high. Was $9.95 to ship an AC compressor via FedEx. I guy I know hipped some wheel covers via UPS for $18 and then they hit him with an "area surcharge" of $17

Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Fleetwood271
Tuned
Originally Posted by GLR
Try advertising on craigs liist. Someone near you might need them.
Is that $21 shipping USPS ? seems high. Was $9.95 to ship an AC compressor via FedEx. I guy I know hipped some wheel covers via UPS for $18 and then they hit him with an "area surcharge" of $17
Yes, the post office was going to charge $21.57 to ship the shoes back. Since I only paid $29.95 for them, it just wasn't worth it.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:21 PM
Lrrr-RulerOfOmicronP
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
Call up your credit card company and stop payment. That will get their attention. I have found the worst company all of a sudden acts respectable once the funds are pulled from them.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:49 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
GLR that,s because China is on the metric system.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:03 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by lilorbie
GLR that,s because China is on the metric system.
We were supposed to be too in the middle 1970's. The only one's that really made out was the liquor manufactures. Went from quarts to .75 litre (Witch is smaller than a qt.) and raised the price ...

Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Fleetwood271
Yes, the post office was going to charge $21.57 to ship the shoes back. Since I only paid $29.95 for them, it just wasn't worth it.
Call them back again and ask for a supervisor. Have your account number handy if you have one. Tell him/her your situation and ask him/her to look up the sales to that account number. Then with a nice tone in your voice suggest to them rather than lose a paying customer such as you are, they send out a "call tag". This will get their shipping company to pick up the box and return it to them. THEY pay the freight this way. With as much stuff as they ship, they get a smoking deal from their shipping carrier.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 PM
old28
Fleet Mechanic
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
I really like Dennis Carpenter parts and quality. Not real happy to hear the complaint from FLeetwood271 and their poor customer service. Good advice from JEFFFAFA and I hope it works. As Lrr-RulerOmicronP said if that does not work I hope you payed with a credit card, They will stop payment and can put pressure on the company that you can't. Best way to make your purchases, with good protection for you.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Fleetwood271
Tuned
Originally Posted by old28
I really like Dennis Carpenter parts and quality. Not real happy to hear the complaint from FLeetwood271 and their poor customer service. Good advice from JEFFFAFA and I hope it works. As Lrr-RulerOmicronP said if that does not work I hope you payed with a credit card, They will stop payment and can put pressure on the company that you can't. Best way to make your purchases, with good protection for you.
I did pay with a credit card.

I agree that JEFFFAFA gave some good advice.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 PM
James_Western_Canada
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Fleetwood: Please keep us updated on the outcome of this, as I'm sure info like this will influence (myself) & others purchase decisions.
DC is not the only game in town, and denial and being ignored are not conducive to customer satisfaction, or confidence.
Kind of sad when you think about it, that they would rather screw you around in hopes that you'll "go away" rather than OWN their mistake, make it right and likely continue to get your patronage in the future.
Their tactics are a slow, but ultimately downhill road to failure............

James

Quick Reply: Dennis Carpenter Returns